silent assassin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

j rivers

Post by silent assassin »

4 TDs against lowly Idaho.
Not much against Northwestern. :cry:
We'll see how much he does against MSU.

Still only a soph, is he ahead of Lelie this stage in his UH career?

JJ better go after some guys with actual football speed to stretch the defenses next year, he won't have Chad to bail him out anymore.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Rivers will go off on Michigan St.
That's if they focus on Owens, who, against NW, was the man.
As I see it, Rivers is ahead of Lelie in understanding the game. But, it seems that Lelie just got more flat speed. We'll see what happens in the next few years.

Owens has been the man. But, although I always wondered why he was starting, Welch has been CLUTCH. Not fast, but catches the ball and takes a hit. Komine's been clutch too.

silent assassin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

j rivers

Post by silent assassin »

welch is a gamer.
too bad ilaoa is not playing, he would have made a difference.
i'd be suprised if rivers catches more than 2 balls against MSU. . .

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

It all depends on who they decide to leave on single man coverage. against Idaho it was Rivers, NW/Chad. I say if they're going to key on anyone it'll be Chad. Plus Jason was open a couple times on long ones against Northwestern, Timmy just didnt hit him.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Good point about which receiver MSU will leave one on one. I'm gonna go do some homework - to see what kind of corners MSU has.
You know they're gonna do something different from NW. Maybe Brewster and Keliikipi will have big games.

Side notes: Hope UH won't be surprised by fake punts and field goals against MSU.

And, how the heck did NW ever beat Ohio St. and Purdue.

H20

Post by H20 »

Islander wrote: And, how the heck did NW ever beat Ohio St. and Purdue.
Probably the same way we lost to FAU and beat Northwestern, no fricken idea. :lol:

ktownwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by ktownwarrior »

Speaking of Ilaoa, Jones said he would probably use him as the starting tailback next season if he's healthy. That would be interesting. If not, I can see Jones using Ferguson as his RB, or a True Freshman recruit.

I think Komine's going to have a good day. I've seen MSU play this season thrice and their corners are the weak point of their D. They're slow. Their safeties and linebackers are good, and their D-line is really impressive, but I like Hawaii's O-line against their line. Just need to be careful of the linebackers and safeties blitzing or double-teaming UH's receivers.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Probably the same way we lost to FAU and beat Northwestern,

Post by Grinch »

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm still scratching my head about that FAU game.
If I heard correctly, NW's middle line-backer was one of the leading tacklers in the country. And, their running back was something-like second in the Big 10. Makes me think that we gotta have more Big 10 schools visit Aloha Stadium.

H20

Post by H20 »

Yeah their RB was averaging something like 117 yards per game and we held him to 90. I think thats from getting out ahead of them in the second half, they were forced to pass.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Probably the same way we lost to FAU and beat Northweste

Post by WA Warrior »

Islander wrote:Yeah, you're probably right. I'm still scratching my head about that FAU game.
I think the FAU loss has a lot to do with FAU having all off-season to prepare for UH. Not only did they prep for the regular season but had extra time to disect UH's offense and get a jump on them before the offense picked up momentum and became an Aloha Stadium beast...JMHO!!!

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

As for FAU, I think they had the speed to keep up with the WRs on defense and had that TE who will probably be playing in the NFL as a WR. Plus, it was the first game. UH's Defense had only 2 starters returning and the offense gets more into rhythm as the season progresses.

As for the Big Ten teams, their defenses are probably built for three yards and a cloud of dust. MSU had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and probably will not (if they are smart) make the mistakes NW did (i.e. finesse running and trying to out pass UH) They would probably run smash mouth football up the gut like Fresno and try to hit their receivers on the play action. This is the team that almost beat Michigan in the Big House so this is going to be a tough game. But then again, I like UH's WRs chances against their secondary. This is going to be a great "power vs. speed" game.

I just hope the offense "clicks early." I thought UH was on the edge of getting blown out, I questioned how long the D could hold. The offense woke up with the late hit.

WR UNIVERSITY
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by WR UNIVERSITY »

I think Ilaoa in as a RB is gonna be crazy! too bad he cant play this year but the O looks to be good agian next year with Rolo taking over and Fergeson, Rivers, and Thomas and the other WR's and SB's

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

Personally I would like to see more of Ilaoa at slot. Especially with losing Owens and Welch, and Komine. Will Dickerson move back to a slot?

With Pearman gone, I guess Ilaoa might end up making the move though. The other RB's look to be Bass (good enough to start), Latuselu, and Stickler. Who knows... we got others redshirting at that position too, huh?