Assessment of Warrior Football Team

Post by Kahuluiguy »

Coaching: June Jones is too offensive minded. He figures if they score 40
points a game they will win. That's true but when we have an
inconsistent offense like this year especially on the road, you'll
need to score 50-60 to win. He needs to be more stricter with
self-discipline. His teams are too arrogant. We've had more
brawls under Jones than Von Appen, Tomey,and Wagner
combined. I don't think the latter 3 had any brawls.
He has done nothing even if we have nothing. At least Shoji
has done something with what we taught was nothing. Now that
is a coach that deserves the $$$$.

Offense: Brewster is a battler. The WR's
have made Timmy Chang look bad. Timmy still has to step up
though as a 5th year senior and with the reputation given to him
as a former Heisman candidate as June says.

Defense: They can't even tackle. I mean basic wrap up and tackle down
low. They try to tackle from the upper body. It was like
watching man against boys. They're slow too.

Recruiting: Horrible. To have the connections June has, it's pathetic that
we can't even recruit just as well or good as Wagner/Tomey.
I thought June was the man. After all we're paying him
nearly a million dollars. We need more mainland kids. The
local kids can only do so much. We need the Joaquin Barnett's,
Mark Odom's, Jeff Ulbrich's to mix in with the locals. Right
now most of our defense starting is local except for Abe/Kenny.

Next Year: We're going to get spanked by USC, Wisconsin, and Michigan
State if we don't get some Defensive players and real D-1
talent in here.

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

I think USC, Wisconsin, & Michigan St. regret accepting to play us next year because it will only hurt their BCS ranking. LOL!

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Re: Assessment of Warrior Football Team

Post by Ldub20 »

Kahuluiguy wrote:Coaching: June Jones is too offensive minded. He figures if they score 40
points a game they will win. That's true but when we have an
inconsistent offense like this year especially on the road, you'll
need to score 50-60 to win. He needs to be more stricter with
self-discipline. His teams are too arrogant. We've had more
brawls under Jones than Von Appen, Tomey,and Wagner
combined. I don't think the latter 3 had any brawls.
He has done nothing even if we have nothing. At least Shoji
has done something with what we taught was nothing. Now that
is a coach that deserves the $$$$.

Offense: Brewster is a battler. The WR's
have made Timmy Chang look bad. Timmy still has to step up
though as a 5th year senior and with the reputation given to him
as a former Heisman candidate as June says.

Defense: They can't even tackle. I mean basic wrap up and tackle down
low. They try to tackle from the upper body. It was like
watching man against boys. They're slow too.

Recruiting: Horrible. To have the connections June has, it's pathetic that
we can't even recruit just as well or good as Wagner/Tomey.
I thought June was the man. After all we're paying him
nearly a million dollars. We need more mainland kids. The
local kids can only do so much. We need the Joaquin Barnett's,
Mark Odom's, Jeff Ulbrich's to mix in with the locals. Right
now most of our defense starting is local except for Abe/Kenny.

Next Year: We're going to get spanked by USC, Wisconsin, and Michigan
State if we don't get some Defensive players and real D-1
talent in here.
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS FOOTBALL AND ISN"T A HOMER LIKE THE REST OF THESE JERK OFF'S! WATERBOY AND TIMMY CHANG'S LOVER GET ALL UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEAK THE TRUTH AND TRY TO POINT OUT THE NEGATIVES SO WE CAN GET THINGS FIXED AROUND HERE AND NEVER GET HAWAII EMBARASSED AGAIN!
I agree w/you on all points. I've been saying all along that June Jone's hasn't done what he's been brought here to do, which is take us to the next level! There's no differnce between the Bob Wagner and June Jone's era. Maybe in Wagner's era the attendance was consistently better and wagner's teams at least played defense and TACKLED!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

How many losses did Wagner get when they won the WAC championship?
I think the big difference is Boise St. They have been practically unbeatable the last three seasons and even in Bob Wagners era his record would not have won us the conference title.

I still disagree with the way Wags was booted from the program, and like many others I feel he would be a killer defensive coordinator for the Warriors along with Dick Tomey. I think Tomey would have problems with the nature of the offense, but who knows because he did convert to a wide open offense after a few years in Arizona.

I think (please don't quote me) that JJ also put out a lot more NFL players then Wags did. This will give us the best chance to improve our recruiting. I think we've been on National TV (not doing as well as we hope to, when televised) a lot more then when Wags was HC. I know some might view it as a negative because of our performances, but if anyone has been in sales or marketing, there is no such thing as bad exposure. (I know a big debate is going to start up on this topic but I'm ready to rumble!) :wrestler2:

I'll think up a few more differences between the two coaches, just wrote some stuff down that was at the top of my head.

Also once again let up please refrain from name calling. It is really unnecessary and will not be tolerated if it continues. Thank you!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Coach Shoiji vs Coach Jones

Post by seasider »

<At least Shoiji has done something with what we thought was nothing>

The Wahine's cupboard was not bare entering this season. The Wahine, a perennially top 5 team just reload. Coming into the season Hawaii had Fab 50s returness in Boogaard, Arnott, Kamana'o (2003 FOY), and Thurlby. Add Fab 50 recruits Hittle (Colorado player of the year), Thomas (First team allstate from Texas), and #52 ranked recruit Jessica Keefe (Iowas player of the year). Coming out of HS Eckmeir was highly recruited (top 75 list, junior olympic team). RS freshmen Gregory and Sanders were recruited by UCSB and North Carolina respectively. Both recruited by the Wahine for their potential because of their size/athleticism. WSU transfer Victoria Prince was ranked sixth in blocking in the PAC 10.

Only the top volleyball powers, i.e. Hawaii, Florida, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Nebraska to name a few have 6 or more Fab 50s on their roster perennially. How many schools can redshirt a Nickie Thomas (recruited by USC, Florida, Nebraska, and Texas) or a Jessica Keefe. How many schools have a Fab 50s setter (Cayley Thurlby), backing up another Fab 50.

The bottomline, the Wahine recruits Fab 50s. Simply put, coach Shoiji reloads, whereas coach Jones rebuilds with one, two-star recruits and a bunch of walkons...last 5-star recruit, MLB Kalilimoku out of the JC ranks. Unless coach Jones can keep the top-ten HS recruits in Hawaii yearly, augment that with quality (at least three star-recruits) skilled HS athletes from the mainland, coach Jones will never attain the nation wide respect that coach Shoiji's Wahine receives. JMHO.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

I think that it's pretty sad and pathetic that June Jones w/ his so called NFL pedigree and connections has never recruited at least ONE blue chip player ESPECIALLY at the skill positions. Just one is all I ask! With this wide open offense, June Jones should be getting one blue chip offensive player EACH YEAR! Think about it? June Jones basically got lucky w/Ashley Lelie and should thank Von Oppen for that one. But, what atheletes has June Jones ever recruited? Recruiting is the name of the game. If you can't get these blue chiipers out of highschool, go to the JC ranks and find someone 6'2"-6'4" who can make plays. That's what Hawaii is really missing since Lelie, is a PLAYMAKER! How hard is it to get someone to come play in paradise for a few years? We've got WAL-MART!
So it's all good! If we continue the way Hawaii's recruiting things will never change. Local talent is getting worst! There's is NO speed in Hawaii and the atheletes cannot compare to the mainland. SPEED KILLZ!

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

The main reasons why the rainbows (they play like rainbows rather than warriors) played on national television:

Boise & Hawaii

Boise still has the longest current NCAA winning streak going. Timmy Chang could have broken the passing yards record. It would be an exciting game to watch with all the offense and points both teams can put up. LOL! 3 fricken points. At least they both totalled 72 points.

Fresno & Hawaii

ESPN gave Hawaii another chance to prove they are worthy of being allowed to be on national television. They thought the Boise game was a fluke. LOL! They thought Timmy was a top notch QB as a 5 year senior, after just breaking the passing record the week before. WRONG!

Yup Junes jones probably got more TV games than Wagner. But it sure doesnt look like its helping the program. Need more mainland recruits. I think the exposure was good for Boise and Fresno, not Hawaii. Who would want to play for a team that sucks, quits during the game, and may be gambling (in my opinion some players are)? Not the big recruits.

MauiRaider
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

SOLUTIONS TO THE COLLAPSE OF THIS YEAR'S FOOTBALL SEASON.

Post by MauiRaider »

1. FIRE JJ AND HIS COACHING STAFF WITH THE EXCEPTION OF
COACH CAVANAUGH.
2. HIRE NORM CHOW FROM USC AS JJ'S REPLACEMENT.
3. CHANGE THE NAME BACK TO RAINBOWS OR RAINBOW WARRIORS
AND BRING BACK THE BAND TO PLAY UH'S FIGHT SONG "HAWAII
FIVE-O" UH'S TRADITION. IT'S REAL FUNNY HOW JJ MADE THESE
CHANGES IGNORING COLLEGE TRADITIONS LET ALONE UH. I CAN
SEE WHY, HE'S THE SAME GUY WHEN HE PLAYED HERE, TRANSFERRED
TO PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY. NO LOYALTY!

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

The band still plays Hawaii 5-0, I've heared it. And they havent played it as the team has entered since 1999, all of a sudden people care now. Folks should stop listening to Joe Moore.

BigWave96744

response

Post by BigWave96744 »

Believe it or not, Timmy was our first BLUE CHIP recruit (possibly a 4 or 5 star)....I know many cannot believe, but it's true...

Also we initially signed Mahelona, but he backed out, went to a JC then Tennessee..

Another big time guy was suppose to be Reggie Maldonaldo. He signed with us, went to SaddleBack JC, signed with us again, but don't know where he's been..

The other guys were Sapoaga (3 or 4 star), Chad Kalilimoku (4 star), Jason Rivers (3 or 4 star) and this year's Andrew Pearman (3 or 4 star)..

I don't think in the near future we will ever get a 5 star recruit, local or not.. For those of you hoping this, you might as well save your energy so you don't get all worked up when LOI day comes around... Put things in perspective, would you rather go to USC or Hawaii?

It's when we start losing guys to BYU, Utah, Fresno, Mid Tenn, etc..
WR Todd Watkins was wavering between us and BYU... Damn that guy is big time for BYU this year.. ESPN had him as the #5 newest impact player (#1 was the RB for OU)..

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Would you rather go to USC or Hawaii

Post by seasider »

Past Wahine recruits who was recruited by big time schools, i.e. USC, UCLA, Florida, etc. Kim Willoughby, Lilly Kahamoku. Present Wahines recruited by big time schools, Kamana'o, Thomas, Boogaard, Hittle, Keefe, Arnott, Thurlby, Eckmeir.

Difference between the Wahine and the Warriors...the Wahine thinks Final Four...the Warriors still trying to crack the top 25...the Wahine never looses to unrank teams...The Warriors get clobbered by top mid-level teams, and looses to D1AA teams. JMHO

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

As much as we agree or disagree about this team, the bottom line is these guys need our support as much as possible. Take the good with the bad. The Wags with the VonAppens. Sure this isn't the season or the team we thought or would like it to be but like it or not they are still our team. Hawaii's team. They're still playing regardless of what we think of them.

Back these boys up win or lose.
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: SOLUTIONS TO THE COLLAPSE OF THIS YEAR'S FOOTBALL SEASON

Post by WA Warrior »

MauiRaider wrote:I CAN SEE WHY, HE'S THE SAME GUY WHEN HE PLAYED HERE, TRANSFERRED TO PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY. NO LOYALTY!
I can see where the loyalty factor is involved with that statement, but I also see it as someone that was just looking out for his career and best interest. Does that make it right or wrong? I guess it depends on the perspective of the person. Curious would Abu Ma'afala fall under the "no loyalty" tag?

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

BigWave96744

VB vs FBall

Post by BigWave96744 »

Why are you comparing Women's Volleyball to Football??? :-?

There are 3 sports that can run a schools athetic budget: Football, Basketball, and Baseball and unless your basketball team is the Duke's, Tar Heels, UCLA or your Baseball is Arizona St, you better damn have a decent Football team to balance out the budget...

Volleyball is Manini..... Even women's basketball is on a higher level than Mens or Women's Vball... So comparing the Wahine's Success against the Football doesn't make sense.. Sure the top talent comes here... Outside of UH, BYU, and some Cal schools, the average attendence is in the HUNDREDS.... In many colleges, VBall is one step above a Club or Intramural sport... So they better think Final Four every year.. Men Vball is worst.. I think there are like less than 25 Div IA teams... For them anything less than a National Title is meaningless..

I.E. If I was a champion bull rider, I would go to Wyoming (yeah Wyokie), instead of UofAlaska Anchorage.. You can count the number of colleges that are competitive on your hand and feet..

I hope you are not like that dude who called the BC show to compare Shoji's salary to JJ saying they should get comparable salaries... That had to be the most IGNORANT person I heard in a long time...

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

But when the coaches make dumba** calls like fake a punt 4th and 20 from their own 20. Thats fricken stupid. Pass deep on 3rd and 1, then punt on 4th down. Run the damn ball on 3rd and 1, keep the defense off the field so they can rest, and work the drive down the field. Our defense is terrible and without the needed rest they will stop nobody. The offense aint helping by going 3 and out. Look at the Fresno game. 1st Half Timmy was like 6 for 14 for 45 yards. Pathetic.

It seems June Jones doesnt want anyone to break Timmy's passing yard record. Without injury any QB that plays 5 years in Hawaii's offense should break that record in this weak WAC conference. The only reason he broke the record is because we play in the WAC. Give the other QB's time to play. Unless JJ expects to throw the new starter in the fire to start next season. Timmy should not have played the 4th quarter for both Boise and Fresno games. He looked terrible. Throwing 3 ints in 3rd QTR against Boise. Give the backup some experience for next year.