Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

I agree witcha killa. This year in particular. I haven't seen JJ outcoached as much as he has this year. Now does that mean he should be let go, no. Like how we spoke at the beginning, it seemed the record was more important to him than it was to TC and every other player. Really weird.

It'll be interesting to hear what he and other fans have to say on tonights JJ show. I'll be all ears.
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

JJ should give back most of his salary and restructure his contract to be more incentives. LOL! How can he be one of the highest paid employees in the state????when the UH program will probably lose money for the 4th year in a row.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Why are you comparing Women's Volleyball to Football???

Post by seasider »

Not comparing, but trying to make a point, that if the Warrior football team had the tradition like the Wahine; that is, winning, and a chance to go to the final four perennially (for football a BCS bowl), coach Jones would win a few BLUE CHIPPERS away from powerhouses like USC, etc.

Women's volleyball is not manini. There are over 300 plus women teams competing on the D1 level. The men only have a handful playing D1, the rest plays on club teams or as you say intramural sport.

BYU and the Cal schools, i.e. UCLA, Stanford, USC draws only manini to their games. Nebraska, the big ten schools, Florida draws good crowds. Nebraska plays in front of pack crowds...second only to the Wahine.

Nope I'm not that dude who called the BC show to compare Shoji's salary to JJ saying they should get comparable salaries, that is simply ignoramus.

The Warrior Football team is the engine that makes it possible for non revenue sports to exist...except for Hawaii, both the Wahine and men's volleyball programs makes money. In the 80's and early 90's the men's baseball team used to turn a profit.

After lopsided losses on National TV, that engine is sputtering. JMHO.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: VB vs FBall

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: I.E. If I was a champion bull rider, I would go to Wyoming (yeah Wyokie), instead of UofAlaska Anchorage.. You can count the number of colleges that are competitive on your hand and feet..
Great analogy, BigWave. LOL :lol:

Not to help your point but, Wyoming had a national championship contender in (snow) skiing before the university dropped the sport due to Title IX junk. I think Wyoming 2 National Championships in the sport and I believe one was in the early 1990s. DON'T HOLD ME TO IT! I been known to be wrong before.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

The808Fringe wrote:As much as we agree or disagree about this team, the bottom line is these guys need our support as much as possible. Take the good with the bad. The Wags with the VonAppens. Sure this isn't the season or the team we thought or would like it to be but like it or not they are still our team. Hawaii's team. They're still playing regardless of what we think of them.

Back these boys up win or lose.
I agree 100%

Also I feel that wahine volleyball is easier to get top calibur players to come to Hawaii. First of all, we have a legendary coach and we also live in paradise. Who wouldn't want to come to Hawaii.

However unlike volleyball, football players have the ability to make a lot of money in the pros. So college footbal becomes a stepping stone to their career in professional sports. Anyone in their right mind would choose USC, Miami Fla, Fla St, Michigan etc over Hawaii. It isn't about winning and it isn't about how good JJ is. It's about dollars and cents. Those big schools also dish out MUCH MORE money into the athletic program then Hawaii does. Look at Boise St, they have one of the best winning percentages in the last three years in the nation and they don't get a bunch of blue chip players (5 star) signing with them.

The bottom line is that the last two blowouts are a result of JJ. He is ultimately responsible for how the team performs. Whether it was the team choked, or wasn't prepared, not enough skilled players, they gave up, or what ever it was JJ had to do the best he could with what he had. Hopefully he learned from the experience and will make better decisions in the future.

My two cents: Changes should have been made in personnel on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Especially when it was obvious that they played like they were defeated.

Does anyone remember what game and what coach (tomey, wagner) pulled the team to the sidelines and blasted them for not playing hard. Then they came back and won the game?

Okay nuff rambling by me.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Scott wrote:
The808Fringe wrote:As much as we agree or disagree about this team, the bottom line is these guys need our support as much as possible. Take the good with the bad. The Wags with the VonAppens. Sure this isn't the season or the team we thought or would like it to be but like it or not they are still our team. Hawaii's team. They're still playing regardless of what we think of them.

Back these boys up win or lose.
I agree 100%

Also I feel that wahine volleyball is easier to get top calibur players to come to Hawaii. First of all, we have a legendary coach and we also live in paradise. Who wouldn't want to come to Hawaii.

However unlike volleyball, football players have the ability to make a lot of money in the pros. So college footbal becomes a stepping stone to their career in professional sports. Anyone in their right mind would choose USC, Miami Fla, Fla St, Michigan etc over Hawaii. It isn't about winning and it isn't about how good JJ is. It's about dollars and cents. Those big schools also dish out MUCH MORE money into the athletic program then Hawaii does. Look at Boise St, they have one of the best winning percentages in the last three years in the nation and they don't get a bunch of blue chip players (5 star) signing with them.

The bottom line is that the last two blowouts are a result of JJ. He is ultimately responsible for how the team performs. Whether it was the team choked, or wasn't prepared, not enough skilled players, they gave up, or what ever it was JJ had to do the best he could with what he had. Hopefully he learned from the experience and will make better decisions in the future.

My two cents: Changes should have been made in personnel on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Especially when it was obvious that they played like they were defeated.

Does anyone remember what game and what coach (tomey, wagner) pulled the team to the sidelines and blasted them for not playing hard. Then they came back and won the game?

Okay nuff rambling by me.
Having a legendary coach and playing in paradise is a definite plus in recruiting Fab 50s. But, how did the program get to that level year-after-year. WINNING...every athlete likes winning and getting to that next level, the FINAL FOUR.

Only 1% or less (?) of college athletes makes it to the next level, making all that moola in the NFL. I agree college football is a stepping stone for the next level; but, I can't agree with you with " anyone in their right mind would choose USC, Miama Fla, Fla St., Micigan, etc. over Hawaii. There are good quality athletes who would choose Hawaii if the Warrior's program had the winning tradition of the Wahine's program. I'm not talking about the FOUR and FIVE star athletes, but quality THREE star athletes, i.e. Andrew Pearman (spelling). Also a winning tradition will definitely help in keeping the THREE star athletes at home, i.e. Kahuku's Hafoka.

With Hawaii's game shown live on Oceanic, and same night delay game shown on KFVE, NFL scouts have more than enough films to evaluate prospects. Hawaii's football programs have and will continue to produce athletes to play and make big $$$ in the NFL...a WINNING tradition will produce more NFL type athletes.

Volleyball players from Hawaii will never receive that big bucks, but they do have a chance to make it to the WORLD'S stage, the Olympics. Also quite a few have made good $$$ (travel, beats 9 to five job, while still in your twenties) playing in Europe and Brazil.

I'm one of those guys who believe in "Defense wins ball game". To get to that next level, build a TRADITION, coach Jones needs to realize that DEFENSE is the key. Last game on National TV, the Warriors weren't Warriors, they played like "High School" athletes. That was the first time in my life that I changed the channel on the "Rainbows".

Priority, coach Jones needs to hire a Defensive Coordinator who knows what its all about. The program will never get to the next level with the current DC Lumpkin. JMHO

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I'm not talking about the FOUR and FIVE star athletes, but quality THREE star athletes, i.e. Andrew Pearman (spelling). Also a winning tradition will definitely help in keeping the THREE star athletes at home, i.e. Kahuku's Hafoka.
I totally agree, if we have a winning tradition with an excellent staff we can keep the three and even on occassion four star athletes. But my post was in response to, "why can't we have even one blue chip athlete." (5 star athlete)

Mahalo,
Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I'm one of those guys who believe in "Defense wins ball game".
Especially on the road!

Mahalo,
Scott

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Scott wrote:
I'm one of those guys who believe in "Defense wins ball game".
Especially on the road!
You 'aint just whistlling (sp?) Dixie, bruh? :roll: