Ex-Warriors in pros

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Ex-Warriors in pros

Post by Ldub20 »

With more and more warriors in the NFL.
You would think some of these guys would give a little back to the school and the coach that help get them there.
The money could definitely be used for upgrades in facilities or eye candy for recruits.
I'm not saying each player donates a million each.
But, what's a few thousand when you've got millions!
Where's the Aloha?
A few grand from each player can add up.
Calling Pisa, Ashley, Jeff, Wayne, Sopoaga, Adrian Klemm, Laboy, Elam,
just to name a few.
That's one positive in the JJ era.
But, where's the luv?
Rememnber where you came from and who helped get u there.

BigWave96744

AC Carter

Post by BigWave96744 »

The only guy I know who financially gave back some ALOHA was AC Carter of the mens BBall team... He really appreciated Riley Wallace taking a chance on him and giving him a scholie.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Of any of them I'd like Elam to come back and help. Having an automatic 3 everytime we're inside the 35 again would be awesome.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

H20 wrote:Of any of them I'd like Elam to come back and help. Having an automatic 3 everytime we're inside the 35 again would be awesome.

You are a idiot. Why the hell would you want just Elam to come back and kick field goals? I'm talking about giving back finacially or MONEY since you are ILLITERATE! IF you look at all the so called "big time" programs.
They all have one thing in common. Their alumnis who made it big in the pros ALWAYS give a little back so they can either build or upgrade their respective programs. Why not Hawaii? Where's the ALOHA?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Ldub20 wrote:With more and more warriors in the NFL.
You would think some of these guys would give a little back to the school and the coach that help get them there.
The money could definitely be used for upgrades in facilities or eye candy for recruits.
I'm not saying each player donates a million each.
But, what's a few thousand when you've got millions!
Where's the Aloha?
A few grand from each player can add up.
Calling Pisa, Ashley, Jeff, Wayne, Sopoaga, Adrian Klemm, Laboy, Elam,
just to name a few.
That's one positive in the JJ era.
But, where's the luv?
Rememnber where you came from and who helped get u there.
How do you know they haven't given back to the program? Maybe they didn't want the publicity and preferred to keep it quiet. In fact I'm sure many do in fact help out as they can, it's just not publicized.

Perhaps they've been advised to take care of their family's long term financial security before doing anything really significant to help out the program since playing careers are notoriously short. Such was the case of AC. He made his contribution about 5 years after leaving UH and after he had landed a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract.

Other than NFL first rounders, other draftees are not millionaires by a long shot. There's a signing bonus of several hundred thousand for other first day picks. But the rest of the contract, usually $300 to 500,000 per year is not guaranteed. Remember also that taxes take 50% off the top. So they might net several hundred thousand a year for several years if their careers last that long. The typical NFL career is only 3 or 4 years, then most of them go to work like the rest of us.

Or perhaps they are giving back to the community in other ways and that perhaps is even more important. Travis Laboy has set up a foundation to help autistic children. June Jones has a foundation which raises money for different charitiable organizations. HUGS, an organization for seriously ill children was the first recipient of funds.

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by anthoang »

don't forget Mat McBriar... even punters can make good $$$ :-