*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TC's jersey going to the Hall of Fame.

Post by Sportsbow »

Posted at 10:56 a.m., Monday, November 8, 2004

Tim Chang's jersey going to Hall of Fame

By Stephen Tsai
Advertiser Staff Writer

University of Hawai'i quarterback Tim Chang is going to the College Football Hall of Fame.
To be precise, the museum in South Bend, Ind., has requested Chang's jersey to honor his coronation as the NCAA's career passing champion.

In Saturday's 34-23 victory over Louisiana Tech, Chang broke former Brigham Young quarterback Ty Detmer's record of 15,031 career passing yards. Chang, who threw for 285 yards and four touchdowns, now has passed for 15,303 yards.

"I hope they have an extra one for me," Chang said of donating his jersey. "I'm going to still need it. I have to play some more game."

UH equipment coordinator Al Ginoza said UH will donate Chang's green jersey used for home games. The Warriors also wear black jerseys when they play at Aloha Stadium.

"It's a great honor for both Tim and the university," said Dan Morrison, who coaches the UH quarterbacks. "Those are the kinds of things that stand in perpetuity. Kids 25 years from now will look at that jersey and see 'Hawai'i' on it. It's good for everybody involved."

Chang said: "It's an honor. Football is such a big team game, I wish all of our jerseys could go in there. We shouldn't leave anybody out. I would want everybody's jersey in there. Everybody contributed to the success — from the guys in the past to the guys now, to the trainers, to the coaches, even to my family."

This morning, Chang was named the Western Athletic Conference's Offensive Player of the Week.

"It's a great honor to the team," Chang said. "It's a big award but, more importantly, we won the game."

Morrison said Chang was deserving of the weekly award, and not just because he broke the record with a scoring pass to Jason Rivers in the first quarter.

"He played well in that game," Morrison said.

LINK:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... br04p.html

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

:-? Why cant they wait till the end of the season and send the one he broke it in? You know they cant put it up until they know how many yards he ends up with so they can put it on the description. Sending the green one is stupid.

Kobayashi
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Kobayashi »

H20 wrote::-? Why cant they wait till the end of the season and send the one he broke it in? You know they cant put it up until they know how many yards he ends up with so they can put it on the description. Sending the green one is stupid.
UH probably planned to wear black the rest of the season.

H20

Post by H20 »

Thats what I mean. Why does it have to go now? Wait till the end of the season and send it. It makes more sense to have the black one up there. I can see the description now "Here's the jersey he didn't break the record in and because the seaons isnt over we dont know how many yards he has" again, stupid.

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

Very nice gesture by the HOF. I agree though...wait till the end of the year after TC breaks the so-called "real" record as many crictics have been putting it. Very cool otherwise for the guy, the team, the university, and the state.

Glad they're sending the green though. Gotta keep the black sacred.
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

IPatentllo7o1
All-American
All-American

Post by IPatentllo7o1 »

personally id rather send the green one because id want the school to retire the jersey and make a little showcase featuring the record and the black jersey. id make the showcase in the front or near the entrance to the stan sheriff so when QB recruits come in for official visits the first thing they see is how nice the black jersey is and that UH owns the record ... =)

H20

Post by H20 »

The Bulletin wrote:The uniform shirt quarterback Tim Chang wore in his NCAA-career-yardage-breaking performance Saturday will be sent to the College Football Hall of Fame.

"The Hall of Fame requested the jersey before the Boise State game," UH spokeswoman Lois Manin said.

It will probably be sent to the South Bend, Ind., hall after the season.
So who's right?