How wierd is this? Tribute to TC from TD?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

How wierd is this? Tribute to TC from TD?

Post by The808Chef »

HUH???

An article in the advertiser said that UH tracked down Ty Detmer to see if he wanted to put together some kind of a congratulatory message for TC when the record is broken. They are planning to play a video on the stadium jumbotron during a planned timeout after the feat is reached. As humble as TC is, I'd love to see his face when all this is going on.

How ironic is that? Having the record setting, heisman winning, star QB from the most hated UH rival congratulating TC. His mug splattered all over the jumbotron.

How ironic is that for Ty to do this?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... sp02p.html

Weird ya'll!

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

That is too much. Why don't they go get the guy who had the INT record too and have him do a thank you one.

Maui_Warrior
All-American
All-American

Post by Maui_Warrior »

H20 wrote:That is too much. Why don't they go get the guy who had the INT record too and have him do a thank you one.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! LOL!!!!! dang this is getting out of hand......... I'm changing the channel when they do that........ ridiculous.......... chase down a guy whose home on his farm to do a special thank you...... man thats gay...... I'm sorry guys......

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

H20 wrote:That is too much. Why don't they go get the guy who had the INT record too and have him do a thank you one.
Well, they did interview him. LOL.. it would be funny if he actually wrote a thank you letter.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... pferd.html

A mark Herrmann was happy to relinquish

By Ferd Lewis
Advertiser Columnist

He never attended the University of Hawai'i or Boise State or really knew anybody who had. Nor had he any particular rooting interest in who won their nationally televised football game two time zones away.

Yet, when quarterback Tim Chang was intercepted for the fourth time in the game by Boise State Friday night, there would be no mistaking the joy emanating from Mark Herrmann's Indianapolis living room.

"I have to admit I gave out a cheer," Herrmann said.

Mark Herrmann threw a then- NCAA record 73 interceptions while at Purdue. Hawai'i's Tim Chang now has 74.
Advertiser library photo

The NCAA career record for interceptions, something the former Purdue University and NFL quarterback "thought I'd have the rest of my life," had just been taken over by Chang at 74.

Suddenly, after nearly a quarter-century of ownership, the burden of the unwanted record had been lifted. A black mark in the record book since 1980, a season before Chang was born, was as good as erased.

Herrmann still can't tell you if Chang had broken Ty Detmer's career passing yardage record of 15,031 yards or not that night — Chang needs 14 yards against Louisiana Tech Saturday— but he knows who is no longer saddled with the interception mark. "Nobody knows who is in second place, so I guess my name won't be coming up anymore," Herrmann said.

The way it unfolded, "was kind of funny, really," Herrmann said. "I was coming home from being out Friday night and I was just flipping (channels) and happened to turn the game on. Actually, I flipped it on right when they said, 'Well, Timmy Chang has just tied Mark Herrmann's record,' so I was a little bit shocked."

And, hooked.

"I had no idea he was that close to the record, so I kind of watched the rest of it to see what happened," Herrmann said.

Three minutes of play later, Herrmann had his happy ending when Chris Barrios picked off Chang's pass. "It is nice to get that off my back," Herrmann said. "It is not that big of a deal really, but it is not a record that you want to hold on to and cherish. It doesn't bother me that it is gone now."

When Herrmann set the record in 1980, it was not allowed to slip silently into the records books. Not when his quarterback coach with the Colts, Zeke Bratkowski, had held it for 27 years.

"He was very happy that I had passed him and he made that pretty clear," Herrmann said. "In training camp he (said), 'Oh, by the way, you took me out of the record book. I'm very happy about that.' "

Herrmann got a running start toward the record when he was thrown into action from the second quarter of the 1977 season opener, starting every game thereafter, and was intercepted 27 times as a freshman. "We threw the ball a heckuva lot, more than anybody in the Big Ten, and didn't have much of a running attack the first couple of years," Herrmann recalled. "My first year was kind of on-the-job training."

When he broke Bratkowski's record, Herrmann said he figured it was his for life. "Somebody would have to play a lot and throw the ball a lot, so I figured it would be a rare instance that somebody would have those combinations and still have a chance to catch me."

Enter Chang, who has thrown 951 more passes than Herrmann. Chang played part of five seasons (including an injury redshirt year), had the "benefit" of the exemption allowing UH an extra game each season and the 2002 NCAA rule change that allows schools to count bowl game statistics.

"We winged the ball around a lot and I'm sure that's the case with Chang," Herrmann said. "When you throw the ball a lot, you're going to have a fair amount of interceptions. The main thing is the (career) yardage record Chang is setting. I wouldn't be too concerned about having it (the interception record). It hasn't changed my life at all."

But it will change how he now goes about some of his duties. As the director of education programs for the NCAA, Herrmann frequently speaks to school and community groups. "I mention that I once held a few records that were broken by Drew Brees. And, then, I usually say the only one I still hold is for (career) interceptions and everybody gets a big kick out of it.

"Now, I guess I'll have to talk about something else."

Reach Ferd Lewis at flewis@honoluluadvertiser.com or 525-8044

One thing to notice though, he did make the NFL

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

I was looking forward to perhaps Detmer being there to watch his record fall and congratulate TC in person, that's class. Wasn't that the case when Ricky (I'm a dope head and really stupid) Williams broke the rushing record?

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

WA Warrior wrote:Ricky (I'm a dope head and really stupid) Williams
Holy cow, that's funny!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, sadly true!

I always thought the New Orleans-Washington draft day trade for him ranks as the dumbest trade EVER, surpassing the famous Boston-NY Yankees Babe Ruth trade!

sponger48
Play Maker
Play Maker

my 2 cents

Post by sponger48 »

Although I hate BYU with a football passion, what TD is doing is a class act. Too me, it speaks volumes about his character, something we did not get to see while losing to them several times and winning a few. If you watch TC closely, he realizes that this was an achievement that took several players, not just him. It seems he deflects any praise and has a humble attitude towards this record.

I have never personally met either one of these players, but the record is being passed from and to great players with the right perspective on the record.

GO WARRIORS....

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

ive met timmy twice once in houston (rive game this year) and Tulsa last yr. and he seems like hes not even like a QB, cuz that whole QBs are arrogant and stuff he was like jsut like one of my friends nice and joking and stuff, hes a great guy to talk to

BigWave96744

bad trades??

Post by BigWave96744 »

I always thought the New Orleans-Washington draft day trade for him ranks as the dumbest trade EVER, surpassing the famous Boston-NY Yankees Babe Ruth trade!
Hey Wyokie, I'm going to start a thread on this one because there were some doozies....

Speaking of the INT record, Harmon should have sent TC a thank you card with some goodies... Harmon set the record that many thought would never be broke..
When he broke Bratkowski's record, Herrmann said he figured it was his for life. "Somebody would have to play a lot and throw the ball a lot, so I figured it would be a rare instance that somebody would have those combinations and still have a chance to catch me."

Enter Chang, who has thrown 951 more passes than Herrmann. Chang played part of five seasons (including an injury redshirt year), had the "benefit" of the exemption allowing UH an extra game each season and the 2002 NCAA rule change that allows schools to count bowl game statistics.