Troubled QB and other comments from the media

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Troubled QB and other comments from the media

Post by BigWave96744 »

I lisened to both TV and Radio and have some comments by have to start with this one:
-- The TV announcers had a segment on JJ's experience with former Troubled QB's (Jeff George and Ryan Leaf) AND they put Timmy in that category.. WHAT???? Have I been living in a cave on the Pali or been wearing too much Rose Colored Glasses??? Since when has TC been a troubled QB who didn't want to work hard until his senior year?

-- Bobby Curran and Kekaula kind of confused me at the end of the show... First they said JJ pursosely kept TC from breaking the record because he would it to be associated with the blowout. Also he could break it in front of the home crowd.. Then later they said JJ kept TC in because it would have been better to break the record and get it over with and not have to hear about it all week..

-- Gotta admit the TV guys had the names pretty good this game, even pronoucing Faga and Fuga with the emphasis on the "N" before the "g". But they did kill one polynesian name..

Please add comments on the annoucers to get your pent up anger away from the team and coaches

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Actually I think that the commentators should be commended. Sure they didn't get every name correctly but you can tell like true professionals they took the time to say them correctly. Some of the names sounded practiced but regardless they got them right thus paying respect to the player and their surname. That's a mark of a true professional in their field. Do you remember the La Tech game last year at Ruston? I listend to the ESPN+ coverage and then I turned over to listen to KKEA because those knuckleheads just jacked it all up, very unprofessional on their part.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

BigWave96744

the worst

Post by BigWave96744 »

Oh I remember that game, and yes they were the worst...
I called the Bobby Curran show and referred to that crew as ESPN Family Channel because they had no knowlege of Hawaii couldn't even pronounce ALAPA (kept calling him ALPA)...

If you subscribe to UH's H-MAIL, you can download a PDF media guide which list stats, personal profiles, and a full page of name pronounciations.. Yes this crew at Boise did their homework and I give them an "A" for the effort... Can't be too hard because many locals can't even pronounce some of the players names..
The are lucky Kila Kamakawiwaoole, Justin Faimealelei and Bryan Maneafaiga didn't play

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Re: Troubled QB and other comments from the media

Post by H20 »

BigWave96744 wrote: -- Bobby Curran and Kekaula kind of confused me at the end of the show... First they said JJ pursosely kept TC from breaking the record because he would it to be associated with the blowout. Also he could break it in front of the home crowd.. Then later they said JJ kept TC in because it would have been better to break the record and get it over with and not have to hear about it all week..
JJ cleared that up on his show. Timmy wanted to get it over with and go back in to finish it. JJ wanted him to break it here.

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

ESPN announcers

Post by anthoang »

BigWave96744 wrote: Please add comments on the annoucers to get your pent up anger away from the team and coaches
I like Rod Gilmore(ESPN color commentator for games). He's always been complimentary on Chang's abilities.... eventhough he's seen only Chang's bad games (boise st, UNLV). seems like a very smart guy.

The other ESPN color commentator during the boise st game (i forget his name).... kept mentioning the interception record. piss me off. I don't really like this guy much.

Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Troubled QB and other comments from the media

Post by 10 »

H20 wrote: JJ cleared that up on his show. Timmy wanted to get it over with and go back in to finish it. JJ wanted him to break it here.
See? Timmy agrees with me :D
Of course he was probably pretty upset at the time.
I still think we'd be better off over all if it was already done with.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

JJ's reasoning was good though. Record books aside. The best thing for Timmy later in life is to look back and remember that it came in a win, not an embarassing loss. (Not that its guaranteed that we're going to win but it was already guaranteed that we were going to lose in Bosie) Plus in the future when they have ESPN89 in Hawaiian they can say with pride that he broke it in a win and the Boise game will be lost in oblivion, only to be found in the "worst loss in UH history" column.

BigWave96744

explain this

Post by BigWave96744 »

I still don't get it... If he wanted Timmy to win it at home, why was he in in the game until like 2 min left in the game and 14 yards to go??? on the 1st and goal from the 10, I thought they would take a penalty and then have Timmy break it with a TD pass.. Also why risk him getting hurt with they are down 66 points.....

He should have brought in Akina or Satcher in like to 2nd quarter to stop the bleeding, eat up some clock, and have Timmy analyze the situation instead of forcing the issue to be the hero... I felt really bad for Timmy...

Speaking of QB, will we ever see ROLO II????
If Satcher, Humphreys, Graunke are the real deal, will ROLO II be the next Rhode?

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

I do sure hope it's a win. Problem I have is it adds that unnecessary pressure to make this next game a win. Pressure is good if Timmy wants to develop and play in the pros, but for the team... we sure don't need more adversity/distractions than necessary in our remaining games.

And I just don't know how often it will be mentioned the exact moment or game when the record was set... only that Chang set it and now (ie, in the future) holds it. After all, the whole essence of this record is based on the idea of performance beyond any single moment or game.

Ah well, it is what it is. Still 14 yards back and there's no changing that for now...