Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Harold K. Lee
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Next Year

Post by Harold K. Lee »

What do you guys feel is needed to make U.H a better team? Heres my
list.
!. More running plays for the quarterback.
2. A tight end in the offensive schemes.
3. Recruit more defensively
4. Recruit bigger and more dominating recievers.
5. Better discipline from the offense.
I think from now on unless something changes the Warriors will only beat the teams with losing records and only at home.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Harold, make that a poll! Let me know if you need help doing it.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Taking a look at the past few years, we ARE recruiting defensively and recruiting bigger receivers. They're not coming.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

If I recall correctly, Coach Jones said that once the team gets going on a winning trend that the good Wide Receivers would come. Only one has come and he's in a sophomore slump right now (stop spreading the crisco oil on your gloves)...

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

I think our biggest need is on defense. I'd like to see 7 out of our 10 recruits to have some sort of defensive background. I don't want to see another QB for at least 2 years unless he's an absolute 5 star QB.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a TE, but I'd be happy with bigger slots.

Personally, I'd also like to see a change in coaches. We need to bring in a DC. I know it's a hard thing to fire people, but it might just be something you will need to do.

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

- More attention to defense: Land some good recruits, get a decent defensive coordinator.
- New attitude by the players.... not just hard work in the offseason, but throughout games, even when things aren't going your way. Just more of a will to shove people around and to win, and to scrape and fight for every win.
- More versatility at QB, or just somebody who's more of a gamer and a leader. TC's good, but he's missing something... when the pass offense isn't rolling, he seems to have very little more to offer.
- Improvements with the receivers. Running their routes aggressively and snagging that ball no matter what.... Harris, Carter, Lelie, Colbert, Stutz ALL put our current receivers to shame, except possibly Owens.
- Get healthy (hey Nate, do you still even want to play football??)
- Hold normal practices.... not this pro-style low contact stuff. If other non-BCS teams can do it and handle it, then gee, do you SUPPOSE we can??? Or are our boys really that soft and delicate?
Last edited by 10 on Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

You know what I was thinking. While picking up medicine for my grandmother, the kid at the counter made a comment. He said, " how can our D suck that bad? Dont' we have a lot of HUGE Polynesians here in Hawaii?" Got me wondering. There are so many kids with potential all over Hawaii. Sure we don't have the speed on offense, but ask yourself this, " How many guys do you see that have the size to play DT here in Hawaii?" Sapoaga was something special. The truth is, I've seen a lot of guys with his size.

Now why can't these kids play? Maybe because our local school system sucks. They can't qualify to go to Hawaii. It's not just their lack of education, it's also Hawaii's standards for athletes. How many times have we seen kids with a lot of potential go the JC route because of academics and then end up at top D1A schools?

Another thing that could help Hawaii. We need to get a JC football team started here. Start with one school on Oahu and then let it expand to the big island.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Is Viliami Nauahi coming back next year? What about the other guys we got from Kahukus defensive backfiled?

WR UNIVERSITY
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by WR UNIVERSITY »

1 thing UH needs to do....FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!!!!! play the game till the end and be 100% focused. at home games I see so many starters on the sideline looking in the stands and stuff, I can only imagine what there doing on the road.

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

I think we found a new coach to take over for June Jones.

sponger48
Play Maker
Play Maker

some thoughts

Post by sponger48 »

We have had defensive recruits, so we can't say we are not recruiting. (please pardon names, forgot some, not sure if I even have the right ones)
Abu, left for Cal (I think) did not want to play hurt
Austin Jackson, no show
Keala Watson medical derailment
One killed in a car crash ( do you remember?)
And there was one other besides Jackson, not sure what happened to him.

What i would like to see is it seemed every player on Boise was game ready as far as the plays went, they all knew what was going on. A lot of our players seem to be behind and takes them a while to grasp the schemes. Not sure if it is coaching, or the players aren't making the effort off the field. They seem to be more physically fit than in past years, so i don't think that is a factor.

I would like to see recruitment for a speedy reciever for the wideout. Seems that if we don't have consistant deep game, they put more defenders in the box to jam the slots and running backs.

We know that if we are running on all cylinders, we can win and put up the points. I don't want to see coaching changes, the system works. For instance, look at what Dan Robinson and the team that year was able to do. Remember a kid named Rolo and another named Lelie? Its not the coaching!!!!

"We're kind of an attack-mentality team in all three phases," Hawkins said. "We're going to get out of our comfort zone. We're going to play to win. That's our mentality. Part of it is schematic, part of it is philosophy." That's from the advertiser from Hawkins talking about some of the gambling plays they did. Why is it when JJ plays the same way, he gets criticized? Is there room for improvement, hell yes.

GO WARRIORS!!!!

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Re: some thoughts

Post by The808Chef »

sponger48 wrote:We have had defensive recruits, so we can't say we are not recruiting. (please pardon names, forgot some, not sure if I even have the right ones)
Abu, left for Cal (I think) did not want to play hurt
Austin Jackson, no show
Keala Watson medical derailment
One killed in a car crash ( do you remember?)
And there was one other besides Jackson, not sure what happened to him.
Abu shabu...what a joke. Same goes for Austin. Sign and no show? What kine dat!

The one that was in a car crash was John Siofele. May the Lord Bless his soul because he was a monster at St. Louis. The other JC recruit was Lawrence Wilson. He didn't have the grades to make it this year but may come back next year. Boy could we have used these guys huh? The damage was done so let's hope we can get guys in next year.

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by anthoang »

Schedule entire 12-13 games at aloha stadium where it's hot and humid. Don't schedule any road games where temps will fall below 70 degrees. If you follow these rules, Hawaii will go 10-2 minimum.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

pretty nuts huh

Austin Jackson was a head case and didn't comeback after the summer
Abu left because of his gf (at least this is what friends of his have said)
John Siofele got into that car crash near Nanakuli.
Keala Watson had medical problems
The guy from Dixie college didn't make the grades
Kila Kamakawiwaole (spelling?) had to have surgery
then all the guys who graduated.

Defense really took a huge hit.

I tried looking back on what everyone else wrote, but were there any others? Hmm...how about the word of life guys? I heard that one of them was a DT also. Heard they didn't make the grades either.

BigWave96744

Defensive Recruits

Post by BigWave96744 »

- Tyronne Brown (LB) - left the team
- Brown Faavae (DB/LB) - left the team, arrested
- Leo Reed (LB), never showed up
- Isaiah Alameda (LB), left the team

- Marcopolo Chavez (LB) - never played at UH, transferred to USC
- A.J. Martinez (DB) - left the team, grades
- Kaipo Patoc (DL) - never showed up, grades
- John Siofele (DL) - Car Crash
- Abu Maafala (DL) - left the team, Cal