NCAA PASSING RECORD

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
supar
High-quality H20 provider

NCAA PASSING RECORD

Post by supar »

Clarification Please. I was told that the 15031 yards of Detmer does not include bowl game yardage but the current total for Timmy's does.

I believe Detmers had addtional 1175 yards in bowls games which if added in comes to 16206.

Is it back then that bowl game stats did not get factored in as they do now?

Just curious since I over heard a conversation on this matter.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

even if that were true, 1600 yards is only 4-5 games for Timmy. He could still easily break the record.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Timmy Chang played in only two bowl games. He passed for only 124 yards against Tulane before getting injured in that game. He passed for 475 yards against Houston last year. So he only have a total of 599 yards in bowl games. When he breaks the record in Boise State, he'll still have 5 games to make up for that 599 yards. He should easily get that in two games, with three games to spare to add to his record breaking numbers.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

This is directly from the NCAA record book:

Before 2002, postseason games were not
included in NCAA final football statistics or
records. Beginning with the 2002 season, all
postseason games were included in NCAA
final football statistics and records.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

The Star Bulletin had a lil graphic with the added 4 bowl games for Detmer. Personally I would like to see Chang just surpass that number too so there isn't any whining from the BYU fans about the 4 bowl games not being added...any da kine to stick 'em la dat.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

WA Warrior wrote:The Star Bulletin had a lil graphic with the added 4 bowl games for Detmer. Personally I would like to see Chang just surpass that number too so there isn't any whining from the BYU fans about the 4 bowl games not being added...any da kine to stick 'em la dat.
Do you have the link or the numbers? Just FMI. Thanks!

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Here's what I got from the Advertiser

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

Cool....TC will best that total by the end of the season. What's another 1175 yards...3 games? No prob.

Maui_Warrior
All-American
All-American

Post by Maui_Warrior »

All this talk about bowl game yardages non bowl game yardage is just another act of the white people from the east being bias towards the state of Hawaii. They cannot and will not see a boy from the state of Hawaii who played high school football in Hawaii, who played for the University of Hawaii break the NCAA record. They will always have something negative to say. Be the record breaking passing yards, fighting in the Hawaii bowl, or anything that happens in Hawaii sports.

Why can't the buttheads just let Timmy Chang celebrate this without no distractions. I don't even know why they bring those stupid stats up anyways. If they want to do it that way. At the end of the season minus all the post season yardage and see if Chang still beats Detmer. I guarantee you, he will! No matter which way, what way you look at it. It will still be there.

But just like the volleyball NCAA championship that UH won, they'll find a way to take it away from Timmy.

God forbid that they won't do that!

Thanks Timmy for the good times and bad times. The ups and downs. The fans here will never forget you. How can we, you'll have the NCAA football record!!!!!!!! \:D/ Eat it up We celebrate with you!!!!!!! :D

BigWave96744

You know Dat!!!

Post by BigWave96744 »

It's not just the people east, there are people in Hawaii saying the same...

In the NBA, Jordan scored all those points with the 3 point line (sometimes even moved closer than other years)... What about all those dudes who scored before the 3 point line was established? I don't see no "*" next to his name..

Emmit, Sanders, Payton OR Aaron, Babe, Bonds: Nobody says they did it in "X" amount of games.. They look at the bottom line....

Sure Timmy plays within the "PASSING SYSTEM" thus got all his yards, BUT BIG DEAL... OJ, Ricky Williams, Hershel Walker, etc went to colleges that implemented the "RUNNING SYSTEM" thus the got all their yards..

Another one I keep hearing is, "What if QB "X" from Texas Tech/BYU/Marshall/Houston/.... etc played 4+ seasons, he would have 20,000 yards...." WHAT IF, WHAT IF , WHAT IF... The point is Records are kept on the "WHAT DID HAPPEN" not the "WHAT IFS"

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

There's always a lot of "what ifs" when a record is about to be broken. All the junk that was put out before Ichiro did his thing. I also remembered when McNair was closing in on Detmer's record and they made all the excuses about him being in 1AA. Heck, the same argument they make about TC breaking the record should apply to Detmer when he set it. Look at all the other passers on that list, they are all from passing systems. Sure they will give ole Timmy hell about it but like everyone says, it by those who don't want to see him succeed. Regardless of their argument when he breaks it, and he will, it's his until teams can muster a four year starter with enough consistency, staying power, and just good plain good luck to break. On a side bar, I still want him to surpass Detmer's number with the added bowl games, once again to keep the BY-hoo-hoo fans quiet and in their place.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

train
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train »

Well, to put it simple, if Texas Tech had a QB who played for four years in their system, he would have about 20,000 and 180 td's. Hell, if Tech had a QB who played for 2 seasons, he could be up there in career yards and TD's but that would never happen these days. It is just rare that a QB gets three or four full years of starting for his team.

yes, TC is playing for a passing team. What, you think that Navy would have a guy that breaks the passing record. No crap the guy who is about to have the all time passing yards record is playing for a passing team. BIG FLIPPING DEAL, hes an above average QB.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Ty Detmer played for BYU which was preeminent passing "system" for years. BYU quarterbacks such as Steve Young, Jim McMahon, Gifford Nielson, Robbie Bosco and Gary Shiede were all at the top of the passing charts during their stints.

supar

Post by supar »

Maui_Warrior, please quit playing the race card! You make us proud Hawaiin's look bad. It was a legitimate question. Either factor in both players bowl yardage or do not. Do you really see a problem with that? I do not since Timmy will break it anyway. Once again for our aloha here on the island please think before you speak.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

supar wrote:Maui_Warrior, please quit playing the race card! You make us proud Hawaiin's look bad. It was a legitimate question. Either factor in both players bowl yardage or do not. Do you really see a problem with that? I do not since Timmy will break it anyway. Once again for our aloha here on the island please think before you speak.
I think he just meant , "an East Coast Bias."
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"