Attendance

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
warriorfan808

Attendance

Post by warriorfan808 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1907370
Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Blue Raiders are 2-4 and attendance is down, but Middle Tennessee State is hoping hip-hop can keep the team playing in Division I.

Football programs must average 15,000 fans a game to stay in the NCAA's top division. But Middle Tennessee averaged only about 14,000 in its first two home games.

And there's no guarantee that a Saturday game against equally miserable Idaho (2-5) will put fans in the seats.

So Middle Tennessee has scheduled a free concert immediately after the game by rapper Big Boi, half of the popular hip-hop duo Outkast. Anyone who wants to attend the concert must attend the 2 p.m. game.

"It's definitely an attempt to get people in the stands," MTSU spokesman Doug Williams said. "We want our students to come to games and be exposed to the MTSU experience, and we thought this would be a good way to do it."

Williams acknowledged that the concert is also an attempt to boost attendance numbers to stay in Division I.

When the school moved up from the lower Division I-AA in 1999, the NCAA requirement was simply to sell at least 17,000 tickets. Now the number is lower, but the fans actually have to attend. If the school sells 30,000 tickets, but only 14,000 show up, that's not good enough, Williams said.

Middle Tennessee, located in Murfreesboro, 30 miles southeast of Nashville, has two more home games after Saturday.

"We certainly want to reach that threshold [of 15,000], and that's certainly part of the motivation," Williams said.

MTSU athletic director Boots Donnelly said "coming to a football game is no longer the norm. You have to have an activity."

He said no one will be allowed in the stadium once the game ends, but people can leave if they don't want to attend the concert. However, he expects most to stay.

"There's a tremendous amount of conversation about coming to the game," Donnelly said.

Big Boi's latest CD, "Speakerboxx", is part of a 2-disc set -- "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" -- which was released last year with Outkast partner Andre 3000. The Atlanta-based duo won three Grammys earlier this year for the album and for the single "Hey Ya!"
Maybe SJSU should do the same thing.

BigWave96744

If the do drop FB

Post by BigWave96744 »

If their program goes belly up, maybe 4 Star JC WR Cleannord Saintil will come to UH for his senior year... We did offer him a scholie this year...

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=219& ... id=1065470

http://www.goblueraiders.com/?go=player&id=1151

On a similar note SJSU is also in bad shape...
I think against Rice they drew only 4000 something fans...
Damn, that's sad... Our VBall teams draws more than that...

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: If the do drop FB

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote:If their program goes belly up, maybe 4 Star JC WR Cleannord Saintil will come to UH for his senior year... We did offer him a scholie this year...

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=219& ... id=1065470

http://www.goblueraiders.com/?go=player&id=1151

On a similar note SJSU is also in bad shape...
I think against Rice they drew only 4000 something fans...
Damn, that's sad... Our VBall teams draws more than that...
SJSU, in my humble opinion, is on the way out football-wise. The only thing that saved the program back in the 1990s was the invitation to join the WAC.

A close friend of mine who played for Wyoming from 1992-95 told me once that when the Pokes played at Spartan Stadium for a OOC game vs. SJSU that the stadium was the worst he played at.

By the way, he also told me that BYU's stadium was the best. Never said anything about Aloha Stadium althought he do play against Hawaii in the Islands at least twice.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

I can only see one way for SJSU to pull themselves through. I don't know much about their history, but didn't they have an awesome coach/son combination named Elway. I think if he comes back and coaches their football team, then they'll be able to pull through this funk.

As for Santil, I think the problem with him was his grades and scores. Unlike many other Universities, Hawaii requires the same standards from their athletes as they do their fellow students.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: ....

Post by Sportsbow »

warriorfan808 wrote:I can only see one way for SJSU to pull themselves through. I don't know much about their history, but didn't they have an awesome coach/son combination named Elway.
John Elway played for Stanford. His dad did coach for SJSU.

BigWave96744

Alg II

Post by BigWave96744 »

I'm sure by his senior year he can get to Algebra II :o

They say that SJSU demise is that they are on the end of the feeding chain after USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal (don't know if it is the correct order), followed by Fresno State and San Diego State..

Maybe they might go the route of playing all road games (as did a former California team before going belly up) and do the LaTech-Take-The-Money-Suicide" scheduling (Tenn, Miami, Auburn)..

warriorfan808

Re: ....

Post by warriorfan808 »

Sportsbow wrote:
warriorfan808 wrote:I can only see one way for SJSU to pull themselves through. I don't know much about their history, but didn't they have an awesome coach/son combination named Elway.
John Elway played for Stanford. His dad did coach for SJSU.
Man, I guess they really don't have any hope. Maybe they can take advantage of having so many marquee teams around them. Come to the San Jose State game and meat the Stanford football team :P

Who knows, maybe John will want to go in his father's footsteps and take the school that his father dreamed of bringing into the national spotlight, into it.

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by anthoang »

Hawaii could use Jasmine Trias!!! \:D/

It is true, SJST's Spartan Stadium is the worse i've been in. It's the same calibur as high school fields. It's bench seating... and if you wanted food/snacks you have to walk down a long flight of narrow concrete stairs.

no wonder the San Jose Earthquakes are thinking of relocating.