Did June Jones get out coached against Mike Price?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

yes
64%
no
36%

Total votes: 11

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

ktownwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by ktownwarrior »

Well, it's hard to say he didn't. This is a UTEP team that was awful last season and it's primarily because of Price they're playing this well. It looked to me like UTEP's defense wasn't all that great, but it looks really good when Hawaii's always shooting itself in the foot. The receivers always seem to run the wrong route, not be aggressive enough to the football, drop the ball, or slip and fall down. We all saw the success passing teams had on UTEP earlier this season and for Hawaii to only score 20 on them is downright depressing.

I agree with everyone when offenses like Michigan State, Texas Tech and Louisville have offenses that work so well and Hawaii's offense sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Here's what I want to know: Is this a good team or a bad team? I don't know which, but I want to see some consistency from here on out. If it's a good team, start playing like it! If it's a bad team, spare us the heartache of good anticipation and let us know you're a bad team already!

Something tells me this is not a bad team and will improve as the season progresses. The window of opportunity is closing fast though and Coach Jones doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot to stop the bleeding.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

ktownwarrior wrote:Well, it's hard to say he didn't.
But you give many reasons why he might not have.
It looked to me like UTEP's defense wasn't all that great, but it looks really good when Hawaii's always shooting itself in the foot. The receivers always seem to run the wrong route, not be aggressive enough to the football, drop the ball, or slip and fall down. We all saw the success passing teams had on UTEP earlier this season and for Hawaii to only score 20 on them is downright depressing.
How do you coach no drops and no slips?

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

Yes. I mean, what coaching mistakes can we point out about UTEP today?

-For us, the fake punts weren't good calls.
-We went back to less than 15 running plays in a game. According to ESPN, we went 14 rushes for 77 yards... granted Akina was a big part of that, but that's an average of 5.5 ypc compared with 5.4 yppass we had. F'N RUN MORE! I'm not saying 40 carries... but at least 20.
-If (if!) Akina was told to just go for the endzone on his first drive, that was a bad play calling. That was still like mid 3rd quarter... a FG could have helped, but that shot was thrown away by forcing to the endzone.
-Not really JJ, but defensive playcalling wasn't good. We would hurt Palmer by rushing him, and then when we get 3rd and long we suddenly go conservative and he gets all the time he wants and hits the conversion.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

How about calling plays in Elimimians direction 1 or 2 times too many? :lol:

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

Man, Elimimian is just awesome.
I think he's the smartest most aggressive player we have, or have had, since Pisa and N Jackson.

Anyone know what was his injury?
Did I hear right when I heard Manners broke his ankle is probably done for the season?

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

10 wrote:Man, Elimimian is just awesome.
I think he's the smartest most aggressive player we have, or have had, since Pisa and N Jackson.

Did I hear right when I heard Manners broke his ankle is probably done for the season?
Elimimian have a slight hamstring pull. (I hope that's all it is.) Probably a day-to-day thing.

T.J. Moe was also injured but don't know what type of injury.

You're right about Manners injury.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Sportsbow wrote:
10 wrote:Man, Elimimian is just awesome.

Elimimian have a slight hamstring pull. (I hope that's all it is.) Probably a day-to-day thing.

T.J. Moe was also injured but don't know what type of injury.

You're right about Manners injury.
I heard that Abe sprained his ankle pretty bad during practice a few days before the game. Think of what would of happened if he was fully healthy?