H20 answers papers letters

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

H20 answers papers letters

Post by H20 »

:lol: As much as I do it in my head I figured maybe I'll do one of these every once in a while.

From todays Honolulu Advertiser
Shredded paper mars UH football games

A newcomer to the island, I attended last Saturday's football game against Tulsa. Hawai'i has a lot to be proud of. I have been to many NFL games, and this game was one of the most exciting I've ever attended. The drummers, ti leaves and even the concessions (saimin and poke) gave a uniquely aloha feeling to the game.

More importantly, the team played well and the Warriors won!

I was shocked, however, by the unbelievable amount of shredded paper that people threw into the air (and at other fans) throughout the game. Is this also a Hawai'i tradition? I saw mothers carefully shredding newspapers with their children. I even saw one man bring a garbage bag full of shredded paper into the stadium for his kids. But is recreational littering something that we really want to instill in the next generation?

We live on some of the world's most beautiful islands and, for them to stay beautiful, we must treat them with respect.

I saw that your newspaper was handed out with programs, and thus became a source of paper shreds. I hope you will rethink your distribution strategy.

David Royal
Honolulu
A newcomer to the island
This alone gave me reason to believe i was in for a treat
Hawai'i has a lot to be proud of. I have been to many NFL games, and this game was one of the most exciting I've ever attended. The drummers, ti leaves and even the concessions (saimin and poke) gave a uniquely aloha feeling to the game.

More importantly, the team played well and the Warriors won!
I like when people butter me up and kiss my okole, however I feel a "but" coming on.
I was shocked, however
but, however, samething
Is this also a Hawai'i tradition?
Yes. I can't believe this whole thing was a yes or no question that could have been answered by ANYONE else in the stadium.
We live on some of the world's most beautiful islands and, for them to stay beautiful, we must treat them with respect.
Um, this was on the field turf at Aloha Stadium cuz, not Kapiolani park. If the paper is still there at the start of this weeks game, I'm right with ya.
I saw that your newspaper was handed out with programs, and thus became a source of paper shreds. I hope you will rethink your distribution strategy.
Bruddah, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the paper IS the program. What you like them do, make one hard cover book with plastic pages every week?

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

H,

this guy is lucky he wasn't around during the Wags years. That win against BYU in 87(?), you couldn't even see the field! I used to go to HS games at the stadium and I'd steal some of my auntie's calculator receipt paper. Good weight, good unroll, good stuff. I even used toilet paper. :lol:

These guys complain about the most littlest thing.

AreaCode808
All-American
All-American

seriously though...

Post by AreaCode808 »

there was a sh*t load of newspaper on the field. WTF over?? :o

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

Well I have to say it doesn't look good, especially on TV when you see the field has all this rolling trash on it (compared to even the biggest games on the mainland). It looks sloppy... it just doesn't look good. But at the game it's kind of fun.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

i agree with 10, it looks bad when it rolls like tumbleweeds on the field during plays, but when yer at the game it's just too good. esp the one where the thing slowly falls apart and drops confetti all the way down. you know those people gotta be rolling those up while watching tv during weekdays or something.

I remember having a roll of receipt paper one time and was thinking of throwing it one game, but i was worried.. what if the thing doesn't unroll and the whole roll hits someone on the head on the bottom.. the thing is a half pound or so, that's like a death blow.. so i decided not to throw it :P

AreaCode808
All-American
All-American

Post by AreaCode808 »

I remember having a roll of receipt paper one time and was thinking of throwing it one game, but i was worried.. what if the thing doesn't unroll and the whole roll hits someone on the head on the bottom.. the thing is a half pound or so, that's like a death blow.. so i decided not to throw it :P
LOL that would've sucked if it didnt' unroll all the way. *whoops :o *

i dont' know, for some reason, when you watched the replay on t.v. the paper on the field just seemed to be a lot more than during other games. maybe its just me though :-

8_five
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

shredded paper

Post by 8_five »

i, for one, agree with some others that it makes things look sloppy both at games and on tv. plus someone's or some people gotta be cleaning that up.

at least not everyone's making paper airplanes then throwing them down to see who it hits and if that person turns around. that's just stoopid what if it hits you in the eye?

the win was awesome and i'll be there for nevada and the rest of the home games.

GO WARRIORS!!!

H20

Post by H20 »

From Todays Advertiser
Getting rid of the rainbow in UH logo a big mistake

We are long, longtime UH Rainbow fans who have never written anything to a newspaper, but after reading the article "Royalties on rise since adoption of 'H' logo" in Wednesday's Advertiser — that did it. We can no longer remain silent. We know, and speak for, many others who take exception to this and who will never buy anything with that nondescript "H" logo.

Of course it will sell, and rights are different from sales, because that's all the UH athletic department sells. Try selling and marketing the Rainbow logo, or perhaps a "flashier" rainbow one against the "H," and see which one will sell more.

We agree with Joe Moore of KHON. The rainbow stood for so much that is Hawai'i. The rainbow is seen over the Manoa campus almost daily. It is not only due to the significance of the appearance of a rainbow after a long-ago football game. The rainbow represents Hawai'i and its cultural and ethnic diversity. It is one-of-a-kind as far as school nicknames. The "H" can be Harvard, Houston or whatever. We frankly liked the rainbow stripes (and not the current garter belt), so unique, on the football team's uniform. Never mind the "macho-ness" of the Warrior name. Let's show it on the field and court.

If one takes notice at Aloha Stadium, the cheers are still for the Rainbows. How a former athletic director can have and give people so much power to change the logo, the teams' name and therefore traditions without any input from faculty, staff, students and the people of Hawai'i is beyond our comprehension. It is and was unconscionable how it was a done deal before we all knew about it.

Will we need to wait for the departure of certain athletic department members to regain our traditions? We will never "get over it," as some would like.

Linda Lau, Teri and Jackson Agtang and John Char
Honolulu
Bottom line, the players would rather have the H no matter how "flashy" they can make a rainbow. It will still be a rainbow. YES, it does mean more to us then just an H logo howevewr this is not about what it means to us. It's about what it means to opposing players, its about what it means to incoming recruits who know nothing of what the rainbow stands for to us and may not care. The players do not want to be refered to as a symbol thats related to being mahu, period. Why do these people want to force the players to do so, i dont get it.

warriorfan808

Re: shredded paper

Post by warriorfan808 »

FruStraTeD... wrote:i, for one, agree with some others that it makes things look sloppy both at games and on tv. plus someone's or some people gotta be cleaning that up.

at least not everyone's making paper airplanes then throwing them down to see who it hits and if that person turns around. that's just stoopid what if it hits you in the eye?

the win was awesome and i'll be there for nevada and the rest of the home games.

GO WARRIORS!!!
I agree with you completely. The rainbow has been used as a political symbol for many organizations and it's not the University of Hawaii's place to associate itself with any political movement. As much as some might talk about the tradition and it not being a political symbol, I have seen it used and if it brought back, it will be used once again.

A few years ago I went to visit family in Cincy. I went down to KY to visit my cousin Daryl and found out he had just came out of the closet. Later I found out he had some University of Hawaii rainbow t shirts and so did many of his friends. They didn't wear them because they liked the school or any of the teams, they wore them because they were proud to be gay.

I believe the change from the rainbow logo had a lot to do with the political atmosphere at the time. Hawaii was extremely close to being the first state to allow gay marriages. If it would of went through and the rainbow logo was still around, our kids and state would of been mocked by many. I'm not saying gay marriages isn't ok, it's just not something the University should associate itself with.

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by The808Chef »

I'm not sure why this is even coming up by these people. Funny how things like these only come up when the team is going through bad times. The same happened in 2000. Thus far, the teams and it's players seem to not mind. It's not like the "Rainbow" name hasn't gone away? Have these guys check with Riles, Trap, Bolla, and every other coach other than JJ and we'll see then. Don't these people have better things to do than be bitter over a logo? Geez loueez guys!

Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 10 »

I think this issue came up again when they tinkered with the home game music. Then Joe Moore got involved and tried to start a 'bring back tradition' campaign. Yeah, the issue had died down pretty well from 2001 through 2003.

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by The808Chef »

True dat 10 but what a lot of "fans" don't realize, especially the older ones, is the rainbow symboll was not just the UH logo but rather the symbol of Hawaiiana. The reason I say that is because yesterday, it was raining poi dogs here in the bay area. I was driving home with my kids and ahead of me a saw a rainbow appear. The first thing I thought of? My home, Hawaii. Not UH. Now, say that with the new logo and tell me what you think of. UH! That's what it should be about. My 2c anyway. :D

H20

Post by H20 »

I hate when people overexaggerate.
The Honolulu Advertiser wrote:Cutting away to UH game is nonsensical

KKEA sports radio cuts away from the final game of the World Series to carry a run-of-the-mill UH Wahine volleyball match against an inferior opponent.

It makes you wonder what could happen if KKEA's programmers were employed elsewhere in town:

• KHON suspends its presidential election-night coverage to broadcast a Makiki neighborhood board meeting.

• KGMB switches from the Super Bowl for a Pop Warner showdown between Mililani and Kahuku.

• KHNL pre-empts the Olympics to go "live" for a 5K race around Kapi'olani Park.

Decision-makers at KKEA and the UH athletics department — people into sports so much they've made careers out of it — couldn't see that the World Series trumps a mid-season volleyball match.

Let's hope their next contract has an escape clause.

Doug Carlson
Honolulu
His main point is valid, I guess, for people who care more about baseball that has nothing to do about Hawaii. It's only an opinion that HE would rather listen to MLB. I care more about that Wahine myself. However the reason I chose to comment on this one were the examples he came up with. TOTALLY overexaggerating the difference between a baseball game with no Hawaiii ties and a 3rd ranked Wahine game where they're trying to stay undefeated.
• KHON suspends its presidential election-night coverage to broadcast a Makiki neighborhood board meeting.

• KGMB switches from the Super Bowl for a Pop Warner showdown between Mililani and Kahuku.

• KHNL pre-empts the Olympics to go "live" for a 5K race around Kapi'olani Park.
Heres why, and of course this is just my opinion.
The election coverage, Super Bowl, and Olympics are ALL more important and interesting then baseball. A board meeting, pop warner game, and race around Kapiolani park are a lot less improtant and interesting to most people you would ask then the Wahine game. Maybe this comes from the fact that I cant stand watching any baseball but the world series. But then again this was the world series, and I still care more about the Volleyball girls. With that said, 10 bucks says Mr. Carlson is not from Hawaii :wink:

killa
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by killa »

LOL! I was one of those idiots who used to make the confetti rolls with newspaper and throw it. Or cut the calculator rolls in to skinny rolls. Always had to watch to make sure security wasnt watching. It was fun throwing them from the red section. It will unraval unless you forget to take off the rubberband. LOL! But it sure looks awesome at the game after UH scores.

Regarding the rubbish, yup it adds to it. But the clean up crew would have to clean up all the concession stand rubbish anyway. So they can clean it up at the same time. Its the very small confetti pieces (the hole puncher rubbish) that must make it hard to clean.

Dont stop the tradition. The younger generation is taking over with the streamers and confetti rolls.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

killa wrote:LOL! I was one of those idiots who used to make the confetti rolls with newspaper and throw it. Or cut the calculator rolls in to skinny rolls. Always had to watch to make sure security wasnt watching. It was fun throwing them from the red section. It will unraval unless you forget to take off the rubberband. LOL! But it sure looks awesome at the game after UH scores.

Regarding the rubbish, yup it adds to it. But the clean up crew would have to clean up all the concession stand rubbish anyway. So they can clean it up at the same time. Its the very small confetti pieces (the hole puncher rubbish) that must make it hard to clean.

Dont stop the tradition. The younger generation is taking over with the streamers and confetti rolls.
This doesn't suprise me at all.

[-X

LOL
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"