January 1st and 10 w/Jim Donovan *updated*

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

January 1st and 10 w/Jim Donovan *updated*

Post by Scott »

Jim's on vacation this week so January's 1st and 10 will be held on the 11th from 9 AM - 9:55 AM. Jim has a meeting at 10 AM so we are asking that if you know your questions ahead of time could you please post them here so that they can work on it in advance. Happy New Years!

Please post questions in this thread for January's 11th's, 1st and 10.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Re: January 1st and 10 w/Jim Donovan *updated*

Post by managerr »

Hey Jim,

I heard last spring the NCAA approved Women's Beach Volleyball as a sport. It seems like a sport we would be good at (for obvious reasons).

Is UH planning on fielding a team for this sport in the future? If so, how is that going in terms of progress? If not, what will be the qualifying factors that the athletic department would need to participate in it?

Thanks!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

If we want Green Outs at the football games, when are we going to get green ponchos or better looking green jackets (water proof with hoods)? We can have everyone wear green but when it starts to rain and they put on their ponchos, it looks like a White Out.
ImageImage

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

any plans by UH and UA to modify our football unis a bit? im happy UA pays UH money and we have a lot more green in our unis now, but we are no longer unique. maybe you can throw that suggestion out to mack and the UA reps. it doesnt have to be any big modifications or anything like that.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

Mr. Donovan,

I saw an article in the 12/23 Advertiser regarding the Nevada Wolfpack football team forging a bond with the US Navy submarine, USS Nevada.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... +find+bond
I work with the Navy and have been on numerous boats that have such a relationship. The USS Alabama had all sorts of Crimson Tide items, the Alabama "A" and font all over the boat, etc.
Now that we have the USS Hawaii submarine based out of Pearl, I think we should form a similar bond with the boat. Both sides can take pride in each other. It would also be a great learning experience for both the crew and teams. I'm not sure how to make it happen, but I'm sure it could.

Thanks!
c_c
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

One more Q, sorry.
Regarding Men's Vball. I heard there were plans to try to make the arena environment much more fun and energetic like during the "glory" years of the sport with Yuval, Aaron Wilton, etc. I know it'll be hard to make it back to the general seating arrangement like in the past, but if it was possible, I'd like to see that. Let the kids and loud, energetic young fans get down to the good seats and let them scream and yell in support of our team. I was also glad to see that Alan "Rubberman" Hackbarth has been a part of the scene again as well. Get the young fans to dance and go crazy with him and you'll soon see the stands packed again.
Also, you could probably do something similar to that ESPN sign contest for that late night UH bball game. Instead of ESPN, make it related to UH or vball, or their favorite player. I remember back during those glory years that the arena was filled with signs.
There was also a "superstar" like aura to the players back then (kinda like the '07 football frenzy). Everyone wanted a picture, an autograph. Not sure if there's any meet and greet the team for the public and fans, but I think if we get to know the players more one on one and in person that this'll give the fans more to relate to the sport and want to come out to support them. Hopefully this can be done early in the season, as if you do it as part of the "Senior" night festivites, its too late. You gotta hook the fans early so that they want to come back and see their favorite player(s) that they just met.
Watching the team beat USC last night, you can see that the team has a lot of energy and fire. There's a lot of personalities on that team that people will love. High flying Walker, the promising young freshman Umlauft who's always trying to get the crowd into it.
Anyways, just some ideas. I can just recall back to the nights of sleeping over at the athletic complex to get first come first serve seats for UCLA game tickets. Nice crowd last night, but I believe we can get back to those glory years.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Jim,

Recognizing the very difficult time the State is going through with the bad economy, what are you looking to accomplish in the 2010 legislature for the athletic department?

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Good morning and Happy New Year! I'll be here for about 55 minutes before I have to run off to another meeting. I'll answer as many questions as I can. I'll start answering the questions already posted here.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

managerr wrote:Hey Jim,

I heard last spring the NCAA approved Women's Beach Volleyball as a sport. It seems like a sport we would be good at (for obvious reasons).

Is UH planning on fielding a team for this sport in the future? If so, how is that going in terms of progress? If not, what will be the qualifying factors that the athletic department would need to participate in it?

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------

managerr -

Sand volleyball was approved by the NCAA Council, however, several universities and a couple conferences are challenging this approval. The basis of the challenge is cost containment and an unfair advantage for "warm weather" schools. An override vote will be occurring this Friday at the NCAA Convention -- where every Division I institution will vote on whether or not to allow sand volleyball (it will be a majority rules vote). So we'll have to wait and see what the outcome of the vote is.

If sand volleyball is approved by vote, we certainly will move towards creating a sand volleyball program and will likely adjust the Clarence TC Ching Complex to include an outdoor spectator sand volleyball court.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Irse wrote:If we want Green Outs at the football games, when are we going to get green ponchos or better looking green jackets (water proof with hoods)? We can have everyone wear green but when it starts to rain and they put on their ponchos, it looks like a White Out.

Irse -

Great observation. We will pass these two very good ideas on to the concession vendor at Aloha Stadium and the Rainbowtique management. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

letsgobows wrote:any plans by UH and UA to modify our football unis a bit? im happy UA pays UH money and we have a lot more green in our unis now, but we are no longer unique. maybe you can throw that suggestion out to mack and the UA reps. it doesnt have to be any big modifications or anything like that.

letsgobows -

Under Armour works closely with our equipment personnel and football coaches to develop our uniforms. I can't say I completely agree with the part of your statement that says "we are no longer unique", but I do think if you're not constantly improving others will "pass you". Overall, the Under Armour contract has been outstanding for us. Their level of marketing support (i.e. compensation to UH Athletics; advertising and promotions in Hawaii market, placement of product at retail locations in Hawaii, etc) is the best we've ever had. On top of that, Under Armour is being recognized worldwide as an outstanding brand for quality and value. I certainly will mention your thoughts to our equipment personnel and football coaches, but all in all, most of the feedback we've received on the uniforms have been very positive.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

chawan_cut wrote:Mr. Donovan,

I saw an article in the 12/23 Advertiser regarding the Nevada Wolfpack football team forging a bond with the US Navy submarine, USS Nevada.
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... +find+bond
I work with the Navy and have been on numerous boats that have such a relationship. The USS Alabama had all sorts of Crimson Tide items, the Alabama "A" and font all over the boat, etc.
Now that we have the USS Hawaii submarine based out of Pearl, I think we should form a similar bond with the boat. Both sides can take pride in each other. It would also be a great learning experience for both the crew and teams. I'm not sure how to make it happen, but I'm sure it could.

Thanks!
c_c

chawan_cut -

We will certainly look into this suggestion. When the USS Honolulu was home-ported at Pearl Harbor, we developed a relationship as you have described in your post. We provided tickets to various sporting events for their crew on an annual basis and UH sports memorabilia to be displayed in their submarine. Our first contact with the USS Honolulu was approximately 1991 when now Admiral Greenert was the commander and we continued building the relationship under the next commander David Jones. In fact, Stan Sheriff, myself and a few other staff members and corporate sponsors were able to go out on a cruise on the USS Honolulu and do "angles and dangles". I will have our marketing staff reach out to the USS Hawaii and see if they would like to build a similar relationship with UH Athletics.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

chawan_cut wrote:One more Q, sorry.
Regarding Men's Vball. I heard there were plans to try to make the arena environment much more fun and energetic like during the "glory" years of the sport with Yuval, Aaron Wilton, etc. I know it'll be hard to make it back to the general seating arrangement like in the past, but if it was possible, I'd like to see that. Let the kids and loud, energetic young fans get down to the good seats and let them scream and yell in support of our team. I was also glad to see that Alan "Rubberman" Hackbarth has been a part of the scene again as well. Get the young fans to dance and go crazy with him and you'll soon see the stands packed again.
Also, you could probably do something similar to that ESPN sign contest for that late night UH bball game. Instead of ESPN, make it related to UH or vball, or their favorite player. I remember back during those glory years that the arena was filled with signs.
There was also a "superstar" like aura to the players back then (kinda like the '07 football frenzy). Everyone wanted a picture, an autograph. Not sure if there's any meet and greet the team for the public and fans, but I think if we get to know the players more one on one and in person that this'll give the fans more to relate to the sport and want to come out to support them. Hopefully this can be done early in the season, as if you do it as part of the "Senior" night festivites, its too late. You gotta hook the fans early so that they want to come back and see their favorite player(s) that they just met.
Watching the team beat USC last night, you can see that the team has a lot of energy and fire. There's a lot of personalities on that team that people will love. High flying Walker, the promising young freshman Umlauft who's always trying to get the crowd into it.
Anyways, just some ideas. I can just recall back to the nights of sleeping over at the athletic complex to get first come first serve seats for UCLA game tickets. Nice crowd last night, but I believe we can get back to those glory years.

chawan_cut -

First of all, thanks for your support of UH Athletics and specifically men's volleyball. Obviously I'm very pleased with the outcome fo the recent Outrigger Hotels Men's Volleyball Invitational -- winning our first tournament title in the last 5 years or so. In regards to some of your comments, we are very proud to have the pep band back at the men's volleyball games along with Alan Hackbarth. These are just 2 initiatives that really started to help us capture the feeling of the "good old days" that you described. Insofar as having UH students relocated to the lower bowl of the arena, that would be very difficult because there are currently season ticket holders sitting in most of the lower bowl. That said, we do have very good pricing for UH students and students up to age 18 -- $3.00. Hopefully, with the way Coach Wade has the team competing right now, many more UH students and families will attend. One of the nice things I noticed after match with USC was completed, many fans and family members "hung around" to congratulate the coaches and the players -- which really reminded of the years when Yuval and company were here. I will talk to Charlie about a meet and greet with the players and/or an autograph session.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by letsgobows »

how was your post season review with coach mack? i understand you dont talk about specifics on forums like these w/ these types of questions. but at the very least, did u 2 see eye to eye on the issues of hawaii football? thanks.
GO WARRIORS!

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by letsgobows »

btw, i think a lot of the mainland fans enjoyed the oceanic online feed for the warrior home games this season. thank you for that and i hope you received positive feedback as well. i will be very happy if it continues next season.

thanks for your time and responses.
GO WARRIORS!