Nov. 3rd Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
uhwarriors

Nov. 3rd Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Post by uhwarriors »

Will start at 10:00 am.

uhwarriors

Re: Nov. 3rd Chat with Jim Donovan (Live Thread)

Post by uhwarriors »

Aloha Jim and thanks for stopping by.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

BigWave96744 wrote:Aloha Jim,
Were you aware of the mismanagement of the game clock during the UH/Utah State Game?
The Game Clock kept running (for a few seconds) after Alexander scored the TD, after Utah St fired an incomplete pass (toward the ending of the game), after first downs (almost all game) and after a player ran out of bounds. Robert Kekaula pointed it out during the broadcast, Ferd Lewis wrote about. I know the outcome of the game can't be changed, but is there anyone you can notify to ensure this doesn't become a common occurance?

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Good morning! It's first and 10. Go ahead and fire away and I'll start answering the questions that are already up.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Luke96792 wrote:Aloha Mr. Donovan,

I know on some radio shows awhile back you were explaining some of the renovation projects/improvement projects that are either being worked on now or that will be in the works very soon. Could you ellaborate on that a little more.....if not will the UH website have an area dedicated towards depictions/plans and dates on when these particular projects will begin.

Projects like the football offices, football lockerooms, etc.) Hopefully these projects will be detailed for the Hawaii faithful to glance at and also a potential timeline these things will start to be constructed. Mahalo.

Also with the $2million dollar donation by that kind gentlemen.......do you hopefully expect that money to go towards a new Football training facility (indoor)? Just wondering.

Mahalo. Keep up the great work you continue to do.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

managerr wrote:Hi Mr. Donovan,

it was mentioned that Hawaii is the oldest member of the WAC, yet in the history of our program, we have never hosted the men and women's WAC basketball tourney. Is there any likelihood of that happening in the future? The WAC lets us host other Championships, so why can't we put together a competitive bid for basketball?

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

uhwarriors wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:Aloha Jim,
Were you aware of the mismanagement of the game clock during the UH/Utah State Game?
The Game Clock kept running (for a few seconds) after Alexander scored the TD, after Utah St fired an incomplete pass (toward the ending of the game), after first downs (almost all game) and after a player ran out of bounds. Robert Kekaula pointed it out during the broadcast, Ferd Lewis wrote about. I know the outcome of the game can't be changed, but is there anyone you can notify to ensure this doesn't become a common occurance?
------------------------------------------------

BigWave96744 -

I only noticed it once in the 4th quarter and it looked like one other time the white hat noticed it and had the clock reset. As far as after first downs, the rule as I understand it is that the clock stops until the chains are set and the white hat "sets" the ball in play - then the clock is supposed to start again. I know Coach McMackin mentioned after the game that he thought the officiating got better as the game wore on, but I'll touch bases with him on this issue on Thursday or Friday of this week when I meet up with the team in El Paso. I'll also mention it to Karl Benson when we have our next WAC meeting. Thanks for your support!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

With the renovation and upgrades of Ching Field, will the rainbow colored track be eventually replaced with a more standard color track?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

bowfan wrote:In a recent interview it seemed as though you were nervous about the fact that maybe the the economy and travel cost to Hawaii for other WAC teams might affect us, do you think that we may soon have to start paying for WAC teams to travel to Hawaii?

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

uhwarriors wrote:
Luke96792 wrote:Aloha Mr. Donovan,

I know on some radio shows awhile back you were explaining some of the renovation projects/improvement projects that are either being worked on now or that will be in the works very soon. Could you ellaborate on that a little more.....if not will the UH website have an area dedicated towards depictions/plans and dates on when these particular projects will begin.

Projects like the football offices, football lockerooms, etc.) Hopefully these projects will be detailed for the Hawaii faithful to glance at and also a potential timeline these things will start to be constructed. Mahalo.

Also with the $2million dollar donation by that kind gentlemen.......do you hopefully expect that money to go towards a new Football training facility (indoor)? Just wondering.

Mahalo. Keep up the great work you continue to do.
-------------------------------------

Luke96792 -

First of all, it's a great suggestion to put an area up on our website that details some of the new construction and repair and maintenance that's occurring here on the makai campus. I'll talk to our webmaster Troy Yamamoto about putting that on his to do list.

Here's a rundown of some of the construction that's happening and is scheduled to happen in the near future:

- The Clarence TC Ching Athletics Complex (Field): Construction is currently ongoing with the old turf completely removed and most of the groundwork finished. As early as this week the new field may start to be installed and the estimated completion date is mid-December. For the rest of the complex, we are in the process of hiring an architect to do the detailed plans necessary for construction. This process may take up to a year and then construction would follow.

- The Duke Kahanamoku Aquatics Complex: They've just completed putting up all the new light poles and that project is officially wrapping up. We are starting on a $2.5 million renovation of the women's locker room - originally it was built for about 40 female swimming athletes but today with water polo, almost 100 female athletes need to use that locker room. I don't have an accurate estimated date of completion at this time but I'm hopeful the project will be completed within 12 to 18 months from now.

- Les Murakami Stadium: The seat replacement is almost pau and I see no problem with this project being completed before the start of the Rainbow baseball season (looks pretty nice having all those new green seats in). Right after the 2009 Rainbow baseball season, there's work scheduled to be done to repair the roof and I believe some funds for painting the exterior of the Stadium (and hopefully to repair or replace the speaker system in the upper level). Lastly, a $386,000 improvement is being made to the training facilities in the Stadium. Future plans would be to refurbish the locker rooms, replace the batting cage, renovate the weight room and get rid of the second (outer) home run fence. No timeline on these future projects yet but within the next year we'll have a master plan and timeline for all future projects on the makai campus.

- The main UH Athletics Complex: We've hired an architect to do the detailed plans for the "football wing" on the third floor. Construction of that area is anticipated to begin in January 2009. When that construction is completed - and right now the estimate is about 6 months for project completion - we will refurbish as many of the other offices on the third floor as possible (so most all coaches located on the third floor will see an improvement in their offices over the next 12 months). Lastly, there is a replacement of the chilled water system pipes and some exterior painting that will be occurring at the main complex over the next 12 months.

We are in the process of developing a strategic plan (this should be completed within 3 to 6 months from today) and once that's completed, we'll put together a facilities master plan.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Post by travo66 »

I like how the band has added in the WARRIORS chant in the middle of our fight song, but no one seems to know what or how to do it. My question is, is it possible to maybe have the words on the scoreboard/jumbotron so that the entire audience can see it and be aware of the words and the chant in the middle? Right now, I think the audience just let's the band do it on their own because 1. they don't know the words and 2. they might think its a band exclusive thing? I guess I'd just like to see more fan incorporation.

Speaking of fan incorporation, I noticed during the game at Utah State (and many other universities) the announcer gets into the game also. After every 1st down, he says "X yard gain for another Aggie (Bulldog, etc.)" and the fans know to say "FIRST DOWN!" If Utah State can do it with their 12,000 fans, we should too!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

uhwarriors wrote:
managerr wrote:Hi Mr. Donovan,

it was mentioned that Hawaii is the oldest member of the WAC, yet in the history of our program, we have never hosted the men and women's WAC basketball tourney. Is there any likelihood of that happening in the future? The WAC lets us host other Championships, so why can't we put together a competitive bid for basketball?
------------------------------------

managerr -

The WAC for the last 10 to 15 years or so has been putting the rights to host the men's and women's WAC basketball championships out to bid. Typically, they expect the host city/institution to underwrite the complete cost of all the teams travelling and all the costs associated with the tournament itself. When Hugh Yoshida was Athletic Director (and I was Associate Athletic Director), he solicited Governor Cayetano's assistance in securing a men's and women's WAC basketball tournament. At the time, I think we bid a quarter million dollars to host the event and that still wasn't enough to get it here (we were beat out by Reno who bid less but the WAC determined there would be a net profit from their bid and likely a net loss from our bid). Obviously, we'll continue to take a look at hosting the men's and women's WAC basketball tournament but as long as it's a completely economic decision and the travel costs to get 8 teams here, the reality is it's not likely we will host.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Thank you uhwarriors for moderating the chat today. I currently have two emergencies at work but had a few questions for the main man JD.

1 - What is the best way an internet community of UH Sports fans (ie: SportsHawaii.com) help you achieve your goals?

2 - What are your goals for 2009?

3 - Is there anything that "we the people" can do to help you at a political level.

You're doing an awesome job and in less then a year you've made such a huge impact for the school, the athletic department and the community. Thank you so much!

Sorry I have to head out again, thank you uhwarriors for helping me out today (especially with no notice).

Mahalo,
Scott
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

uhwarriors wrote:With the renovation and upgrades of Ching Field, will the rainbow colored
track be eventually replaced with a more standard color track?
----------------------------------------------

uhwarriors -

The rainbow colored track still has about 4 to 5 years left under warranty so at least for that time period there are no plans to change it. Before we make a decision on the color of the track we would consult with the sports programs and other University programs that utilize it (not everyone would get an equal vote but we'll listen to everyone's opinion). It certainly is possible that we will go to a more standard color track but I can say that there are some coaches and staff members here that are very proud we have the only rainbow colored track known to be in existence (I guess sort of how Boise is so proud of their blue turf). What will happen remains to be seen.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

uhwarriors wrote:
bowfan wrote:In a recent interview it seemed as though you were nervous about the fact that maybe the the economy and travel cost to Hawaii for other WAC teams might affect us, do you think that we may soon have to start paying for WAC teams to travel to Hawaii?
-----------------------------------------------

bowfan -

Certainly travel costs are a big issue for all the WAC members because we're spread out over about half the country (from Hawaii to Louisiana and from New Mexico State to Idaho). The one good thing about the slowdown in the economy is that the price of gas and aviation fuel is dropping dramatically. In the near future this should alleviate any serious discusson about any institution having to pay travel for another institution. In the long run, it's hard for me to tell what the future might bring, but suffice it to say, I will monitor the situation closely.