my computer crashed

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
giversgain
Starter
Starter

my computer crashed

Post by giversgain »

Does anyone know of a reliable yet inexpensive place to fix my computer? I have vista and I think it's time to convert to windows 8. Or should I just buy a new computer.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: my computer crashed

Post by xer 21 »

if it isnt hardware related, i'd just get a new OS.

as far as "inexpensive" places...hard to say. nearly every place will charge you 80 bucks upfront or something to diagnose and maybe repair it if it isnt an indpeth problem.

what's the crash message?
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

My computer automatically shuts off approximately 3-5 minutes after it is running. I know that my anti-virus (Kaspersky) is out dated. Anyway, I download all these viewer "drivers" when I was looking for a website to view streamline video of the UH games. It affected my browsers (firefox and Google) at first. Then it shut my computer. I have a feeling that a new anti virus will take care of the the problem. But, do you recommend that I switch to Windows 7?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

here's a quick test to try. turn your computer on and when the screen says press F# to go to bios, go ahead and press the key to go there (usually f2, f12, f10). when it gets there, go do something else for several minutes. when you get back, try to exit out of bios and continue your startup. If your computer is stuck in bios or has shut itself off when you return, the issue is in the hardware of your comp - replacing windows, or updating antivirus won't fix this issue.

on a side note, streaming sites aren't the most reputable sites on the web and downloading 'viewer drivers' is a major red flag. if it's not a hardware issue from the test above, I'd try booting your computer in safe mode (mash f8 on startup) and running an antivirus+antimalware of some sort. maybe it'll clean out your issue.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

Thanks. I'm in the process of loading my new Kaspersky. Safe mode wouldn't allow me to upload anything from a disc (I went to Best Buy), so I had to run it on normal mode. It looks like Kaspersky is cleaning my files, so I should be good....my computer didn't shut off...lol. I hope it clears things up. Typing on my Galaxy is humbug....lol.

Thanks again.