What's up with UH Baseball this year?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: What's up with UH Baseball this year?

Post by shrek2 »

One of the most interesting plays in the second game with Fresno State was in the 9th inning. Hawaii up by 3, 8-5 with runner on second due to an error with two outs. They intentionally walk Adam Fogel to get to Ethan Lopez who strikes out after hitting two home runs in the game and going 3 for 4. The game doesn't mean that much to Fresno State since they are already 3 down in the ninth. I have rarely seen mid-majors intentionally walk a player unless its a must win playoff game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Interesting remark by the Fresno State bulldogs announcer to come to the Sunday game to watch the UH shortstop play.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Man, they gotta get rid of Pal Eldridge on the Spectrum broadcast on the show, he acts like he knows but he doesn't. One comment I heard from him about he doesn't know what a late breaking slider is from Dylan Thomas was. Geez, that's all they talk about with pitchers in MLB who throw off speed pitchers that are good and that is they have a late break. Two weeks ago he said that Hawaii was going to get into the regionals with a couple of wins but everybody knows at the beginning of the season that the BWC was a weak conference. He says that all the best players come from Southern California and I know that scouts were saying that in 2008 there were no players from the west being drafted in the first round. The best players are coming from the south and east coast and the south of the border especially Cuba. Tries to bring up Shohei Ohtani and he doesn't know whether he hits before or after his pitching. Check the web stories. I like the broadcaster and his color men from Fresno a lot better as they seem in touch with the rest of the world.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The hitters on the team do not have the appropriate timing to the pitcher. They seem to be swinging with their arms instead of turning on the ball coming in. I saw Ethan Lopez pull the bat back just before the pitcher released the ball on a two strike pitch. In protect mode, you don't try to get more power in the swing. The people that seem to have the timing stride is Johnny Weeks, Alex Baeza, Logan Poulsen, Dustin Demeter, Eric Ramirez and Dylan Vchulek. Maaki Yamazaki has the timing stride but I think he's got quick hands.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I don't know why I disagree with the Spectrum Sports commentators before, after and during the game but I do. In my opinion, the most likely draft potentials for UH are Maaki Yamazaki, Dylan Thomas, Jackson Rees and Adam Fogel.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My pick for the BWC team is Dylan Thomas and Maaki Yamazaki, second team, Jackson Rees and Kekai Rios honorable mention.