Wahine Volleyball - Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge All-Tournament Team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Wahine Volleyball - Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge All-Tournament Team

Post by seasider »

Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge All-Tournament Team

Bayley Little, San Diego State
Allie Schumacher, Eastern Washington
Rhamat Alhassan, Florida
Nikki O'Rourke, Florida
Olivia Magill, Hawai'i
Tai Manu-Olevao, Hawai'i

Most Outstanding Player
Nikki Taylor, Hawai'i

Florida’s Holston and Recek had over-all better stats than Tai Manu-Olevao.

No pun intended but Manu-Olevao had one outstanding night versus Florida. Definitely Tai picked the right night to up her game: Versus Florida she hit for .280% (16K 4E 45TA); Versus San Diego State she hit for negative 0.62% (5K 6# 16TA); versus Eastern Washington she hit for .111% (10K 7E 27TA).

Hawaii would’ve lost to Florida if she had hit for negative 0.62%, and versus Eastern Washington .111%.

LOL…the NCAA Selection Committee is rarely fair with Hawaii, let’s not follow their lead. Ditto with the NCAA All-American Selection Committee when they had Oivia Magill as an Honorable Mention AA this past season. LOL…she had better stats than a lot of the 2014 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team All-Americans.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Wahine Volleyball - Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge All-Tournament Team

Post by My3Cats »

Hate to pile it on TMO too, but there must have been someone, anyone who played well enough to deserve her spot on the all-tourney team. I'm sure that she feels bad about how she has been performing this year, but she's been consistent in her inconsistency for her entire career with little or no improvement in four years.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Wahine Volleyball - Outrigger Resorts Volleyball Challenge All-Tournament Team

Post by Irse »

Yeah, she's been struggling. Hope she plays well whe we really need it.
ImageImage

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Bottom line, history (the last 2 seasons and 24 sets into the 2015 season) has shown that coach Shoji will rarely take Tai out when she’s having a bad set.
After 24 sets, we now know what Opposite Nikki Taylor, OH Kalei Greeley will bring to the match. If Tai Manu-Olevao can hit for 2.50% the rest of the way, the Wahine will run-the-table (Grand Canyon, BWC matches).

Hawaii’s middles are solid with Olivia Magill, Emily Maglio, and Annie Mitchem. Bottom line, Olivia will need to be set more to equal or better last year’s stats. Again bottom line, Maglio and Mitchem will need to consistently put down the slide when the set is money.

Kudos to coach Shoji for bringing in Kendra Koelsch (versus Florida) when the Wahine needed a different look (blocking and setting). When Taylor Higgins is not into the game, hope coach will continue to make the change. Bottom line, both Koelsch and Higgins were very effective and KEYS to the Wahine win over the 2nd ranked Lady Gators. Just a thought, Koelsch set from the front row, and subbed out when she rotates to the back—Higgins serving is to valuable a weapon to keep on the bench, and IMHO she’s a better back-row defender than Koelsch.

Here’s where I’m confused. Coach is opening up the Libero starting position between Kahakai and Anderson. Hopefully, this experiment doesn’t go deep into the BWC, i.e. 2011 when coach started Elizabeth Blake, Fr. at Libero over Emily Maeda a Jr. Hopefully, someone from the coaching staff will go over the last 24 sets with a microscope. IMHO, Kahakai is doing just fine—she just need to fly around more, be more assertive, and be the boss of the back-row.

The BW Conference is weak.

Long Beach State 8-2 (losses to Saint Mary’s, Illinois State), Cal Poly 7-2 (losses to Baylor, Portland), UCSB, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC Riverside all have 4 losses, CSUN 1-8, and Cal State Fullerton 0-9.
Bottom line, run the table, and UCLA win the rest of their OOC, win or finish near the top of the PAC 12 leader-board, and Florida run the table the rest of way.
The Wahine will host the 1st and 2nd round matches.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

I don't think Kahakai is that good. Too many over passes and I question her ball control. Sometimes I think Dave just adds the local libero because she's just that...local. No offense but I can't believe she's on scholarship.

As far as Higgins is concerned, she provides no block in the front row. Koelsch is way more effective and I believe runs a more unpredictable attack. However in all fairness to both setters, they are having to deal with some really crappy passes.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

<I don't think Kahakai is that good. Too many over passes and I question her ball control. Sometimes I think Dave just adds the local libero because she's just that...local. No offense but I can't believe she's on scholarship.

As far as Higgins is concerned, she provides no block in the front row. Koelsch is way more effective and I believe runs a more unpredictable attack. However in all fairness to both setters, they are having to deal with some really crappy passes.>

Rebuttal:

Savanah Kahakai was highly recruited out of high school (300 plus D1 programs). She was a Volleyball Magazine Girls’ FAB 50, and #64 on PrepVolleyball.com Senior Aces Top 100.
Libero/DS: Local girls Kahakai, Anderson, and Ponce. Guinasso is the lone mainland L/DS.

Stats after 21 sets

Passing Rotation:

Kahakai 21SP 3Recept Errors 116 Total Attempts .974% 3.19 Digs/Set
Greeley 21SP 4Recept Errors 106 Total Attempts .962% 2.14 Digs/Set
Manu-Olevao 18SP 3Recept Errors 064 Total Attempts .953% 1.17 Digs/Set
Granato 17SP 4Recept Errors 067 Total Attempts .940% 1.41 Digs/Set

Blocking Stats (Unfortunately no stats are recorded for touches)

Pin Blockers:

Taylor 21SP 1Block Solo 27Block Assist 1.33Blk/Set
Manu-Olevao 18SP 2Block Solo 07Block Assist 0.50Blk/Set
Greeley 21SP 1Block Solo 09Block Assist 0.48Blk/Set

Middle Blockers:

Magill 21SP 2Block Solo 30Block Assist 1.52Blk/Set
Maglio 14SP 1Block Solo 18Block Assist 1.36Blk/Set
Mitchem 12SP 1Block Solo 08Block Assist 0.75Blk/Set

Setters:

Higgins 21SP 0Block Solo 11Block Assist 0.52Blk/Set
Koelsch 14SP 0Block Solo 02Block Assist 0.14Blk/Set

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SM96753 wrote:I don't think Kahakai is that good. Too many over passes and I question her ball control. Sometimes I think Dave just adds the local libero because she's just that...local. No offense but I can't believe she's on scholarship.

As far as Higgins is concerned, she provides no block in the front row. Koelsch is way more effective and I believe runs a more unpredictable attack. However in all fairness to both setters, they are having to deal with some really crappy passes.
I agree, Kahakai is struggling so far. Too many first passes close to the net. Which affects the play of the setters, mainly the shorter Higgins. All last season I had to hear from certain family members, who have played volleyball in college, my niece and friends that Sarah Mendoza sucked and should be replaced with Kahakai. I'm like are you serious. You wanna replace her with a freshman libero converted from a HS outside hitter? Mendoza ain't no Ali Longo, but she's pretty good herself. Anyway I do believe all the girls can succeed. That said I do believe in Kahakai, but I would like Dave to make it known, no starting job is safe.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

watching a replay of the florida game right now, most exciting game I've seen in a really long while.