UH facilities holding back UH sports

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
starbucks
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

UH facilities holding back UH sports

Post by starbucks »

In college successful programs depend on successful recruiting. In todays day and age, recruiting comes down to FACILITIES and winning culture. History means nothing to recruits, maybe to their parents, but not to recruits. My son is entering high school next fall, and told me that the number one place he does not want to go to is UH... And I'm a swimming alum from the good ol days.

So I'm forcing myself to honest and accept reality. I took a walk around the Stan Sheriff Centre yesterday with my son and my eyes were opened by the things he pointed out. The admin buildings around SS are run down, weeds are growing everywhere, and paint is falling off the walls. Go swim in the pool and you will see algae growing like mushrooms on the bottom. Walk past the weight room and you will see equipment that 24/7 Fitness threw away. The nicest facility on campus is the Football practice facility/track. (And our football team is so bad nobody will pay is for a guarantee game).

I don't work in athletics, and Ben Jay doesn't return my emails, but I have to wonder where UH athletics will be in 5/10 years. The mainland programs are upgrading their facilities at an alarming pace. They can now even give bigger scholarships. I see other colleges regularly starting massive facility upgrades, and I can't think of any major fundraising drive being done by UH. And to be honest I don't know if I'd donate. I haven't seen much evidence of sound fiscal management across the whole UH, and don't expect much from the athletics department.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH facilities holding back UH sports

Post by My3Cats »

K. Mark Takai...is that you? :lol:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

Have you seen the other facilities in the Big West? (conference most of our other sports are in)

We DO need better facilities, but in most sports, our facilities are better than the people we recruit against.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

managerr wrote:Have you seen the other facilities in the Big West? (conference most of our other sports are in)

We DO need better facilities, but in most sports, our facilities are better than the people we recruit against.
Almost every PAC 12 school (AA QB at Oregon, AA OLB/DE at Washisngton, etc) recruit in Hawaii. I'd say their facilities are "out of this world" compared to Hawaii's facilities.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

Yeah and we're not going to beat the Pac-10 without hundreds of millions of dollars.

A bigger question would be why we can't win in the Big West despite a huge facilities and budget advantage.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

managerr wrote:Have you seen the other facilities in the Big West? (conference most of our other sports are in)

We should be up to par with the MWC. Forget about comparing ourselves to the BWC.
I am the one who knocks.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

808Hawaii wrote:

We should be up to par with the MWC. Forget about comparing ourselves to the BWC.
But most of Hawaii's top football athletes end up in the PAC 12.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

seasider wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:

But most of Hawaii's top football athletes end up in the PAC 12.
I don't think we going get those guys anyway. If they good enough, they should go to the PAC12. Good luck to them if they do.
I am the one who knocks.