BaseBows vs. Texas

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

BaseBows vs. Texas

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Game 1: UH 2 - Texas 3. Bows scored 2 in the first, but couldn't hold on. UT scored 2 in bottom 4th, and 1 in bottom 8th. Cooper went 7-1/3 with 3 ER and took the loss. Seem to a tight game. Hopefully, da Bows can steal some games. M. Doi played and scored in the first.... I don't think anyone had multiple hits. ESPN 1420 is picking up the UTexas radio feed. Live stats available from the UT website....

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Re: BaseBows vs. Texas

Post by Desert Isle »

Bows win game 2 vs. Texas! 6-1 final.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

That is great they won the second game.

I ask this question about the first game. Why did Trapasso keep the starting pitcher in the 8TH inning. He should have started the relief pitcher in the 8 TH. He did that against Oregon and they lost that game too. My guess is he is trying to get the starting pitcher to go a complete 8 innings going into conference play.

Trap seems to have a problem knowing when to put in a relief pitcher.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

GoBows2014
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GoBows2014 »

HawaiianHogster wrote:That is great they won the second game.

I ask this question about the first game. Why did Trapasso keep the starting pitcher in the 8TH inning. He should have started the relief pitcher in the 8 TH. He did that against Oregon and they lost that game too. My guess is he is trying to get the starting pitcher to go a complete 8 innings going into conference play.

Trap seems to have a problem knowing when to put in a relief pitcher.
Hogster, usually I'd be looking for bullpen relief also, but we're a little weak in there this season. And "the pitcher" ? Was Matt Cooper. By the end of the season he will be recognized as one of the top 20 pitchers in the nation, he really is that good.

He jammed the batter, who happens to be one of the best hitters in the nation. Few hitters could have turned that pitch on the handle into a base hit. So in hindsight, if we did have a middle reliever? Maybe. And yeah, Coop was tired, he'd lost a visual amount of velocity and movement after throwing so hard through 7...but under the circumstances? I'd still take a weary Matt Cooper on the hill against a big league bat for Texas.

In hindsight now, after today's games. Played two innings to finish yesterday's "lightning" cancel. And a good game 4, but not Kuzminsky's best on the hill. Even so, after four full games?

UH was in it in all four. Had a legitimate change to sweep Texas, got out front on them early in every game...pretty good "D" also, except Kalei let one get by in game 4 that gave them a few extra runs, otherwise their wins would all have been by 1 run or 2. We have the bats this year (after last years dismal hitting) and some decent pitching...Cooper, Squier, Arakawa as our 1-2-3 in the rotation. Coop and Squier were superb this weekend, Jarret still working some rust off after the year timeout for injury, but he will only get better every time out.

Will UH get some national recognition, maybe some top-20 baseball votes? Hope so, but I can guarantee you one thing, every opponent against UH from here on out this year is taking a deep breath and thinking how Texas really had to scrap to pull out the wins against us. We're legit!

BowsFan

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

I think Chew's (out for the season) injury) messed up the sequence in the bullpen. For the Big West, I think they're playing 3 game series instead of 4 so one of the current starters will drop back to long relier or spot starter for the extra mid-week non-conf games.

GoBows2014
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GoBows2014 »

Lawrence Chu out?

This is the biggest "hush hush" story of the year! We *know* Lawrence can pitch, he closed almost as many games last year as Linsky did in his prime era. And #34 is in the majors now. or almost.

But all the focus is on starting pitchers. Yes, ofc we want #17 Jarret Arakawa on the hill, and can't wait to see #10 Quentin Torres-Costa pitch some serious innings.

But c'mon, what is up with #41 MidPac Mililani boy L.Chu? That 'Bows have no middle relief and no closers is obvious, what is not clear is where Lawrence is. Can he pitch this season?

FWIW, tonight? 1st game against Nevada Wolfpack. Their pitcher was OK, not sensational. Ka'eo and the boys were fouling him off early and started hitting him soon after. Trevor Podratz cranks the first long ball of this year...well and since last year...and well, yeah, since the year before.

Was Ka'eo's homerun over the right field wall the last HR before tonight? Seems like it. But Trev in the hero role, broke a tie game with that homerun, 1 RBI hit. He did the same thing a few games ago in the bottom of the ninth, that time to send us to extra innings. UH had a 2-run lead going into the 8th or 9th, win was ours for the taking.

But a jinx in disguise? Trev as the power hitter got us into extra innings on that previous game, and his go-ahead HR tonight sure looked like a game winner. But afterwards both other teams beat us.

We let the Wolfpack out for a big inning (5 runs ?) on a night that should have been ours. Matt Cooper on the hill to start, definitely not one of his better nights, maybe his worst? But bows had the bats. got up 2-0 early. Then Nevada tied it up. Catcher #39 ("Pounder" Podratz) powered one over the left field wall for a 3-2 lead. But we let them back in. And with Jordan #15 Gordon as middle reliever? Got thru. Sort of struggled actually to get us through the next couple innings without damage. But he is still on the hill for his 3rd or 4th inning? This time the wolfpack lights him up with a 4-run or 5-run inning. And that was all she wrote.

BTW, Adam Hurley on a combo attempted steal/hit attempt? Adam had a good jump, did a face- first slide into second, and sure seemed to have his hands on the bag and the Nevada defender was stretching to the clouds for a high throw from the catcher. Sure looked like Adam had the face-first slide into the bag before the tag, but Trap didn't come out or argue, so maybe Adam did get tagged b4 he got his hands on the bag.