Rainbow Wahine' PrepVolleyball.com's Top-100 Senior Aces

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Rainbow Wahine' PrepVolleyball.com's Top-100 Senior Aces

Post by seasider »

Rainbow Wahine’ 2014 Senior Aces Top-100 Recruits:

64. Savannah Kahakai, 5-8 Libero, Farmington (Honolulu, Hawaii), Imi Ike – Hawaii
Kahakai is an undersized outside hitter with pop at both the high school and club levels, but she will be a top-notch libero at the University of Hawaii, where she has committed. Kahakai is a precision passer who keeps her team in system with first-contact gems in serve-receive. She also plays “Hawaiian Style” defense. Kahakai reads plays before they happen and from center back she can chase balls down from corner to corner. Her digs have purpose and she stares down hard-driven balls like they were nothing. Kahakai is smart, cagey, quick and possesses a very high volleyball I.Q. The Rainbow Wahine have had a lot of top-flight defenders in their history. Kahakai will join that list.

35.Kalei Greeley, 6-2 OH, King (Riverside, California), Rancho Valley – Hawaii

A middle blocker until her sophomore year, Greeley transitioned to the outside and really took off, helping her Rancho Valley team qualify in Open then following uo by leading Riverside King to the California Division II final. The 2012 CIF Southern Section Division II POY, Greeley is a physically strong outside hitter with good platform and defensive skills. She hits a very heavy ball and causes problems from the service line. Greeley can play any position in the front row and attack from anywhere at different tempos. As she continues to grow and develop, she will have a positive impact atHawaii, where she has committed.

Emily Maglio, 6-2 MB, Coquitlam, Canada-PrepVolleyball.com’s Senior Aces covers only the USA.

Kendra Koelsch, 6-1 S/Opposite, Sand/Indoor; Gianna Guinasso 5-9 DS, Sand/Indoor did not make the 2014 Senior Aces listing.

Two scholarships remain open for the Rainbow Wahine' 2014 Recruiting Class.

2014 Senior Aces from Hawaii:

79. Adora Anae, 6-1 OH, Kahuku (Hawaii), Imi Ike – Utah

Anae is a smooth athlete with natural ball control abilities who can also terminate consistently. She has exceptional passing skills for her size and length and is a prototype six-rotation outside hitter. She is very long athletically and has a wing span that is the envy of other six footers, meaning she plays taller than she is and can be imposing at the net, both on the block and with the angles she creates on attack. Anae has committed to Utah, which will lose one four-year starting outside hitter to graduation this year and another the following year. That will pave the way for Anae to be an integral part of Utah’s lineup early in her career.

Senior Ace Next 150:

Aloha Robins-Hardy, 6-1 Setter/RS, Kamehameha-Uncommitted or commitment not known
Remo Gaogao, 5-10 OH, Punahou-Uncommitted or commitment not known

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Rainbow Wahine' PrepVolleyball.com's Top-100 Senior Aces

Post by Duster »

From WSN (or is it RWSN now), a posting regarding 2015 Recruit McKenna Granato from Punahou:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=11914700

Not trying to hijack your thread, Seasider. I just did not want to start a new one.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Duster wrote:From WSN (or is it RWSN now), a posting regarding 2015 Recruit McKenna Granato from Punahou:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=1136&t=11914700

Not trying to hijack your thread, Seasider. I just did not want to start a new one.
Reported by John Tawa, PrepVolleyball.com, Mckenna Granato, 5-11 OH verbally committed to stay home and play for the Wahine. Mckenna plays club volleyball for Imi Iki, coached by Robin Ah Mow-Santos.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Adora Anae #79 2014 PrepVolleyball Senior Ace is a Utah commit, but still undecided about going away for school. To read the following article, you must be a subscriber to the StarAdvertiser digital edition.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =224995532

Excerpts from the above article by Kaylee Noborikawa

Many top Division I teams have recruited Anae, including UCLA, Cal, Hawaii and Utah. She's committed to the Utes, but is still being pursued by the Rainbow Wahine. Anae plays for ‘Imi ‘Ike, a volleyball club organized by some of the UH coaching staff.

"I really thought about it this past month with how my senior year is coming to an end, but it's just the start. I'm just thinking that I'd miss home and I am kind of missing it already and I'm thinking towards my future," Anae said. "My sister in college, Pati (at Southern Idaho), is kind of missing home too, so it makes me think of it more broadly, ‘Maybe I should stay home, maybe I should go away,' but I don't know. It's just a big thought process."

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Will Laura Beeman offer Alohi Robins-Hardy a BB scholarship, i.e. Kalei Adolpho? IMHO, Alohi, 6-1 S/RS has a high volleyball IQ, would be a great get for both Wahine' programs.

http://prepvolleyball.com/2013/09/22/at ... the-story/

You need to be a subscriber to Prepvolleyball.com to read the above story.

Here’s an excerpt from the above link:

Kamehameha scored the next point to even the score once more, the ninth tie of the set. The Warriors scored on a kill from senior S/RS ‘Alohi Robins-Hardy, a four-year starter and talented dual-sport athlete (basketball) expected to commit soon to a university that will allow her to play both sports at the next level.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

seasider wrote:Will Laura Beeman offer Alohi Robins-Hardy a BB scholarship, i.e. Kalei Adolpho? IMHO, Alohi, 6-1 S/RS has a high volleyball IQ, would be a great get for both Wahine' programs.

http://prepvolleyball.com/2013/09/22/at ... the-story/

You need to be a subscriber to Prepvolleyball.com to read the above story.

Here’s an excerpt from the above link:

Kamehameha scored the next point to even the score once more, the ninth tie of the set. The Warriors scored on a kill from senior S/RS ‘Alohi Robins-Hardy, a four-year starter and talented dual-sport athlete (basketball) expected to commit soon to a university that will allow her to play both sports at the next level.
Kamehameha’s Robins-Hardy in demand
by Jerry Campany on October 11, 2013

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/featured ... in-demand/
By at least one measure, Kamehameha outside hitter Alohi Robins-Hardy is the most sought-after recruit in the country.

Studentsports.com ranks Robins-Hardy as the 24th-best senior in the nation, but the only one in the top 25 still undecided on a college. Robins-Hardy has helped the Warriors go undefeated in Hawaii and led them to a second-place finish at the Durango Classic earlier this year. Robins-Hardy is as adept at basketball as she is in volleyball, which keeps a few volleyball recruiters away.

The senior is easily one of the top candidates for the Star-Advertiser’s player of the year award — she has been on the newspaper’s Fab 15 in each of the past three years finishing fifth in 2011 and 2012 after being judged the state’s fourth-best player as a freshman setter in 2010. That makes her just the fifth girl since 2001 to make the elite list as a freshman.

Freshmen to make an All-State volleyball team since 2001:
• 2001: Aneli Otineru, Punahou (Honolulu Advertiser)
• 2003: Liz Kaaihue, Punahou (Honolulu Star-Bulletin)
• 2005: Kelly Pang, Iolani (both newspapers)
• 2008: Tai-Manu Olevao, Punahou (Honolulu Star-Bulletin)
• 2010: Alohi Robins-Hardy, Kamehameha (Honolulu Star-Advertiser)

Only one of the players on that list, Otineru, went on to become the state player of the year.

Part of the reason for Robins-Hardy’s national reputation came at Durango, when the senior joined teammates Tiyana Hallums, Mia Heirakuji and Sarah Lau on the all-tournament team. The Warriors’ runner-up finish caught the attention of everyone in attendance and they are now ranked fifth in the nation by Studentsports.com.

Cyberspace_4
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: New York Yankees
NBA: OKC Thunders
NFL: Miami Dolphins

Post by Cyberspace_4 »

On all 4 major islands, BIIF, MIL, OIA/ILH, KIF, in all seriousness, they're going with the name getters, but they'll go with the Big West Conference first, then they'll see who is left on the squad. Local ties not many I can think of, off hand that will make an immediate impact. They'll show up, just who will go in and make some plays is the thing to do. :brilsmurf:

Cyberspace_4
MLB: New York Yankees
NBA: OKC Thunders
NFL: Miami Dolphins

Post by Cyberspace_4 »

They just want to play for them. Different idea they're running on!

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

I know recruiting isn’t an exact science; but Alohi Robins-Hardy not recruited for wahine’ volleyball is mind boggling. Definitely think she would’ve have been an asset to wahine’ volleyball with her all-round game, i.e. as a setter or as an OH…tons of volleyball IQ in this local girl. And, it wouldn’t have cost Dave a scholarship because women basketball is the dominant sport.

Four local preps that weren’t offered scholarships:

Tamari Miyashiro, L, AA Libero for Washington, now with USA National Team.
Sarah Palmer 5-10 L, starting libero for Texas.
Carly Kan 5-9, OH, starting OH <posting all-American stats> for Missouri-was recruited as a Libero.
Loxley Keala 5-11 S, heir apparent for Missouri’s senior AA setter-playing nearly every set as a DS.

Hawaii definitely has been exposed on their serve receive and over all back-row D in their 3 5 set losses to UCSB, Cal Northridge, and Cal Davies. IMHO Palmer, Kan and Keala would’ve have been “difference makers” if they were on this year’s wahine’ team.

Click on the below link for the full story on “Baseball, volleyball standouts sign letters”

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/girls-volleyball/
The volleyball signees included UH recruit Savanah Kahakai of Farrington and Alohi Robins-Hardy of Kamehameha. Robins-Hardy will play volleyball and basketball at BYU. Playing both sports at the collegiate level was a must for the 6-foot-1 senior. Hawaii recruited her for basketball only.