Go Rainbow Wahine Volleyball team.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
PoiPounder
Starter
Starter

Post by PoiPounder »

seasider wrote:
Mona Ah Hoy (Kahuku), also listed in the Senior Aces, next 150--she took a recruiting trip to Nevada--mostly likely she'll be receiving a scholarship from Coach Scruggs.

I was watching part of the Kahuku last night and they said some of the schools interested were Oregon St. and USC I think. I don't remember. Too bad she wants to go away for school.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

PoiPounder wrote:I was watching part of the Kahuku last night and they said some of the schools interested were Oregon St. and USC I think. I don't remember. Too bad she wants to go away for school.
I watched the game also, to see if she was Rainbow Wahine material. She has the talent to make a name for herself with the small colleges in Hawaii. No pun intended, but her size (<6'), and average elevation will make her a role player on the D1 level. Now, if she had the leaping ability and all-around skills of a Aneli Cubi-Otineru (<5'-10"), than she'd probably have more options (scholarship). I definitely heard Nevada, Hawaii mentioned as schools that were interested in her; but, not USC. I'd say if Nevada does offer her a full-ride, take it. But, if she wants to play for a powerhouse program, she'd have to walk-on, e.g. Juliana Sanders (Hawaii), Tamari Miyashiro (Washington), Careena Onosai (Hawaii 2006), and prove she's deserving of a scholarship.

But, being mentioned in the Senior Ace, next 150 listing, is a credit to her, and her coaches at Kahuku high school. People who know the game voted her in. With 300 plus (D1) colleges scrambling for athletes, having your name published, is enough to get that four-year ride.

Bottom line, one cannot measure the heart of a person. Mona Ah Hoy, you go, girl. Good luck.

PoiPounder
Starter
Starter

Post by PoiPounder »

I could be wrong on USC but I do remember hearing a top program was interested in her just can't remember which one and since she trained with the Junior National Team? I recall Russ or Dave saying that then I'm sure she got noticed by alot of top programs.