Looks like bringing back the Rainbow name.................

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Looks like bringing back the Rainbow name.................

Post by Sportsbow »

...........has gotten WARRIOR fans mad. Seems like a lot of fans are not renewing their season tickets. UH has extended the season ticket renewal date to May 28th.

So far, I know that there's 11 Warrior fans that will not renew their season tickets because of this nickname change. They are not part of my group that attend the games. They became season ticket holders about 10 years ago when their nickname was the Warriors.

LINK: http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/news/201 ... 32456.aspx
Football Season Ticket Renewal Deadline Extended

5/17/2013 3:23:00 PM

HONOLULU – The deadline to renew season tickets for the 2013 University of Hawai'i football season has been extended to Tuesday, May 28.

The UH ticket office will be closed May 20-27, however, renewals can still be made during that time by going online at ETicketHawaii.com, faxing your renewal form to (808) 956-3403 or mailing it to the UH Ticket Office, 1337 Lower Campus Road, Honolulu, HI 96822.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Looks like bringing back the Rainbow name...............

Post by jhb3043 »

i'm not going to renew my sideline seats.

i'm going to buy new seats in the north endzone, brown section

i hate that Ben went back on his name change

he should've never messed with the names to begin with Image

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I know people who aren't renewing but the name change has nothing to do with it.
ImageImage

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Aloha Stadium will be filled with:

1: Empty Seats from corporate/booster bought seats
2: Old Raiiiiiiiiiiinbow fans who sit quietly and watch the game, no spirit, no enthusiasm, probably asleep from their heart medicine
3: The opposing teams' mom and dad on vacation
4: The 5 UH students who know how to support their school, win or lose
5: The occasional tourist who want to see what "LGBTQ/Rainbow" football is about
6: The LGBTQ community basking in their team

Just my $0.02

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

they extend the deadline every year so I don't think there's any cause and effect there.

with that said, I'll be giving up my 50 yard line tickets in upper orange. not a fan of the rainbow decision but that isn't the reason for not renewing, it just costs a lot for tickets there. will probably try to get tickets in another section.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Not buying tickets because of the name?

These are adults? :o smh

I've posted it in the other thread, but those that participated in a Star Advertiser poll a couple of days ago supported the final decision to keep Rainbow in the name, and at his recent conference two days ago, Ben Jay got a rousing ovation when he shared his story about why he decided to keep Rainbow in the name.

A link to the poll: http://hawaii-newspaper.com/polls/honol ... l-archive/ ... about 4 questions down.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Haynr8dr wrote:Not buying tickets because of the name?

I've posted it in the other thread, but those that participated in a Star Advertiser poll a couple of days ago supported the final decision to keep Rainbow in the name, and at his recent conference two days ago, Ben Jay got a rousing ovation when he shared his story about why he decided to keep Rainbow in the name.

A link to the poll: http://hawaii-newspaper.com/polls/honol ... l-archive/ ... about 4 questions down.
It was one of many questions posed to readers on a Wednesday. It doesn't mean the readers are fans of UH sports. Interestingly, a good number of people also supported lowering the blood alcohol number to .05 for DUI.

I believe June Jones' reasons for re-branding UH football were sound. Ben Jay clearly supported it as well, but caved into pressure from the good old boys. I'm glad he can put a spin on a bad decision, and thereby get a round of applause. None of our former AD's were particularly good at public speaking or public image.

I'm curious to see how the air-fairy sounding Rainbow Warriors can be made to be cool. We'll see.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Well it also goes both ways. I know plenty people who made a big fuss and stopped going to games cause of the "Warrior" name. Very adult of them.

Also it's not like everyone voted in that SA poll. Heck I didn't even know about it until the link was posted here, well after the poll closed. So don't go believing polls. If you did then Mitt Romney would be president.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

These are adults?
:o smh

To be fair to those 11, what makes the existing Rainbow donors any different when they threaten to stop donating if they don't add Rainbows to their nickname. Image

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Haynr8dr »

SundayJam wrote: ... see how the air-fairy sounding Rainbow Warriors can be made to be cool. We'll see.
I've actually attended games at the Termite Palace.

I'm sure it's not just me, but I've ALWAYS thought that the "Rainbow Warriors" were cool ... for that long of a time. Perhaps linked to the TONS of GREAT basketball, baseball, along with football memories.

Otherwise for me, it's real simple - I don't associate the term "Rainbow" exclusively with the LGBT community.

And I agree EITS - while I don't personally know of one single-fan that stopped being a UH football fan because JJ dropped the term, I find it BEYOND RIDICULOUS that a person's "fandom" can be bought or sold because of it.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Haynr8dr »

Sportsbow wrote:
To be fair to those 11, what makes the existing Rainbow donors any different when they threaten to stop donating if they don't add Rainbows to their nickname. Image
I couldn't tell you who donates or don't, more so, what drives their reasoning. I can only say that I attend games - with or without "Rainbow". I'm just a fan from Hawaii.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

So if they aren't renewing their season tickets just because the team went back to Rainbow Warriors... does that mean that they are no longer going to be UH football fans?

Just wondering...

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Haynr8dr wrote:
Sportsbow wrote:
I couldn't tell you who donates or don't, more so, what drives their reasoning. I can only say that I attend games - with or without "Rainbow". I'm just a fan from Hawaii.
I commend you for that.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the same mindset like you do. :D

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

madeinhawaii wrote:So if they aren't renewing their season tickets just because the team went back to Rainbow Warriors... does that mean that they are no longer going to be UH football fans?

Just wondering...
They'll probably still be fans, but it's more than likely they'll do what other fans in the past that didn't renew do. That's either go to a sportsbar and watch it there, or chip in and watch it on PPV. If they're really mad, they'll listen on the radio then watch it the next day for free. :P

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Haynr8dr wrote:
SundayJam wrote: ... see how the air-fairy sounding Rainbow Warriors can be made to be cool. We'll see.
I've actually attended games at the Termite Palace.

I'm sure it's not just me, but I've ALWAYS thought that the "Rainbow Warriors" were cool ... for that long of a time. Perhaps linked to the TONS of GREAT basketball, baseball, along with football memories.

Otherwise for me, it's real simple - I don't associate the term "Rainbow" exclusively with the LGBT community.

And I agree EITS - while I don't personally know of one single-fan that stopped being a UH football fan because JJ dropped the term, I find it BEYOND RIDICULOUS that a person's "fandom" can be bought or sold because of it.
Do a Google image search. Everything about Rainbow Warriors is Airy Fairy. I'm not talking about gay at all. There just isn't anything war-like about rainbows. They're associated with peace and love, leprechauns, and magical American Indian warriors.

There's no way I'd change my allegiance to my team. There's just so much more positive that came out of the re-branding over the past 15 years. What a waste.

The initial decision to re-brand all the teams was a good one.