Looks like bringing back the Rainbow name.................

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Looks like bringing back the Rainbow name...............

Post by dcwarrior »

EITSwarrior wrote:
tavarua88 wrote:Some of the posts lately have just been down right disparaging. I'll reiterate, I'd personally prefer the Warrior moniker, liked how the branding and logo were looking, etc but in the end it really doesn't matter what we're called. Those who say the nickname will have some magical adverse affect on the program as a whole are really inflecting your own prejudice about a group of people and the stereotypes that go along with it. The two definitions of rainbow are not mutually exclusive, i don't know why it has been so difficult for some to see that.
We in hawaii may know what the rainbow name means to UH, but nationally they don't know. Again it's a perception issue.
Even if you take out the gay issue, it's still not a good brand. The other primary public meanings of the symbol are Greenpeace and kids, mostly girls. It's not ironic like the Beavers, the Ducks and the Stanford tree, it's straight up and serious.
Substance matters.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

EITSwarrior wrote:
tavarua88 wrote:Some of the posts lately have just been down right disparaging. I'll reiterate, I'd personally prefer the Warrior moniker, liked how the branding and logo were looking, etc but in the end it really doesn't matter what we're called. Those who say the nickname will have some magical adverse affect on the program as a whole are really inflecting your own prejudice about a group of people and the stereotypes that go along with it. The two definitions of rainbow are not mutually exclusive, i don't know why it has been so difficult for some to see that.
We in hawaii may know what the rainbow name means to UH, but nationally they don't know. Again it's a perception issue.
A new perception will be created nationally. UH is now called the RAINBOW Warriors. Yet, Ben Gay insist that UH colors will be just green and white. So now, the folks around the nation will think that Ben Gay and the powers that be at UH are a bunch of idiots. The question nationally will now be, why does UH have the name RAINBOW when they don't even have any rainbow-like colors to their unis and logo? So Ben Gay! What is the meaning of RAINBOW in the nickname RAINBOW Warriors? I don't think he even knows. Maybe he should ask that kid that was ill. He will give him an answer. Another flip-flop decision will be made again soon. This time, it will be color changes. :roll:

HWNBRN
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HWNBRN »

:zook: rainbow name

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

HWNBRN wrote::zook: rainbow name
Famed Gay activist and Star Trek original, George Takei will be wearing this on the 4th of July.
What if the gay movement had chosen the stars and stripes for their colors and banners? Would we have changed our attitude towards the American flag?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Don't go bitching to the people who don't like Rainbow Warriors, we were happy with Warriors. Warriors was done and done, it was the Rainbows that were bawling their eyes out. Now the Warriors fan don't want Rainbows added to a great team name, they have every right to complain as much as the crying Rainbow fans.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

HWNBRN

Post by HWNBRN »

madeinhawaii wrote:
HWNBRN wrote::zook: rainbow name
Famed Gay activist and Star Trek original, George Takei will be wearing this on the 4th of July.
What if the gay movement had chosen the stars and stripes for their colors and banners? Would we have changed our attitude towards the American flag?

it isn't , is it? so it's a moot point. Rainbow is... \:D/

:zook: Rainbow

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

With a name like Ben Gay and the Gay coalition using the Rainbow colors to stand for their beliefs this must be a rising on UH campus.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_50 ... llrovi.com

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Are some of you guys saying that US lovers of the "Warrior" are the Outsiders?

Link

Needtobreathe

Named after acclaimed University of Alabama football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, brothers Bear and Bryant "Bo" Rinehart were born and raised in rural Possum Kingdom, South Carolina, where their pastor father ran a church camp. After moving to nearby Seneca, the two siblings were exposed to a variety of music and started playing instruments themselves. While enrolled at Furman University several years later, Bear -- besides being an excellent wide receiver (he won the 2002 Banks McFadden trophy for South Carolina's football player of the year) -- moonlighted as a vocalist, guitarist, and pianist, even finding time to perform around campus with longtime friend and drummer Joe Stillwell. Meanwhile, Bo studied architecture at Clemson while playing guitar in his spare time, and he and bassist Seth Bolt joined the Bear/Stillwell duo to form Needtobreathe.
http://www.pandora.com/needtobreathe/outsiders
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

HawaiianHogster wrote:With a name like Ben Gay and the Gay coalition using the Rainbow colors to stand for their beliefs this must be a rising on UH campus.

:lol: Boy, Hogster...I thought you would belt out the MAN ON THE SILVER MOUNTAIN! :wink: Or is that a degrade to Richie Blackmore? :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

dcwarrior wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
Even if you take out the gay issue, it's still not a good brand. The other primary public meanings of the symbol are Greenpeace and kids, mostly girls. It's not ironic like the Beavers, the Ducks and the Stanford tree, it's straight up and serious.
The Greenpeace founder named his ship after the prophetic Rainbow Warriors of native Americans. The team renaming was as ill-conceived as the original Fighting Deans. I can't say the same about June Jones' effort. What a waste of a good idea.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
HawaiianHogster wrote:With a name like Ben Gay and the Gay coalition using the Rainbow colors to stand for their beliefs this must be a rising on UH campus.

:lol: Boy, Hogster...I thought you would belt out the MAN ON THE SILVER MOUNTAIN! :wink: Or is that a degrade to Richie Blackmore? :-

I should have put this out instead. Awesome pictures! Just listening to this song I get high. LOL. I get the munchies.

Link

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

puali wrote:For Bows football high school/college recruits, this can be distributed.....

GO BOWS!

Thank you BJ and the Rainbow gang for ruining 10+ years of WARRIORS FOOTBALL tradition!

UH have approximately 500K fan base according to an article I read.

There's about 6 to 7 billion GLBT's around the world according to some articles.

UH RAINBOW fans should stand up and sing and dance along with the newly made RAINBOW anthem and salute to your pretty flag.

:banana:

Link

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

I honestly never knew how many raging homophobes we have on this site. So far this thread has done more teasing than we'll get from opponents all year. If that's the plan, good job. If not, maybe its time to let it go. We can still call them Warriors. Not like the Rainbow fans like Joe Moore that still called them Rainbows when the name didn't exist anymore. They can't even be called Rainbows or Bows now. It would be like calling Kahuku the Reds, or Alabama the Thunderings. Makes no sense.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

H20 wrote: They can't even be called Rainbows or Bows now. It would be like calling Kahuku the Reds, or Alabama the Thunderings. Makes no sense.
Doesn't Kahuku fans cheer "Go Big Red" :D
Oh and You mean Marshall, right :- :wink:

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Yeah Marshall. I was gonna say Crimsons too for Alabama and ended up mixing them up lol. If people wanna say go big rainbow they can hahaha