Wahine Soccer Signs 8

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Wahine Soccer Signs 8

Post by Duster »

Lots of talk about Warrior Football signees. February 6th was NLI signing day for other sports as well. Coach Nagamine signed a bunch:

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/news/201 ... ?path=wsoc

Women's Soccer Receives Eight Commitments

2/7/2013 2:43:00 PM
HONOLULU –University of Hawai`i head women's soccer coach Michele Nagamine announced the program's 2013 recruiting class with eight players committing to the Rainbow Wahine. The group includes four local products and four players from California.

Joining the 2013 Rainbow Wahine this fall will be Mikaela Berger, Ryan Daniel, Korinne Estrada, Hallie Hernandez, Storm Kenui, Kama Pascua, Madison Reed and T.J. Reyno. Two of the players—Berger and Reyno—are rated among ESPN's Top 150 players nationally.

“I am thrilled to unveil this year's recruiting class; it's by far one of our best ever,” Nagamine said. “When I was first hired at UH, my intent was to surround the best local talent with impact players from the mainland who understand the unique culture and opportunities we have playing here in Hawai'i. We have absolutely done that with the class of 2013.”

The eight players look to continue the resurgence of the Rainbow Wahine under Nagamine. Last year, UH tallied its most wins since 2008 with eight and finished sixth in the 10-team Big West after being picked to finished last in the preseason poll.

2013 University of Hawai'i Women's Soccer Recruits
Mikaela Berger | 5-7 | GK | Fr. | Mission Viejo, Calif. | Mission Viejo HS
Ryan Daniel | 5-5 | D | Fr. | Castro Valley, Calif. | Bishop O'Dowd HS
Korinne Estrada | 5-3 | D | Jr. | Sunnyvale, Calif. | Fremont HS
Hallie Hernandez | 5-4 | M-F | Fr. | Corona, Calif. | Centennial HS
Storm Kenui | 5-5 | M-F | Fr. | Waipahu, O'ahu | Moanalua HS
Kama Pascua | 5-5 | M-F | Fr. | Waipahu, O'ahu | 'Iolani School
Madison Reed | 5-7 | D | Fr. | Mililani, O'ahu | Mililani HS
T.J. Reyno | 5-2 | M-F | Fr. | Mililani, O'ahu | Mililani HS

Mikaela Berger | 5-7 | Goalkeeper | Freshman | Mission Viejo, Calif. | Mission Viejo HS
A three-year starter for Mission Viejo High School in California…ranked No. 58 on ESPN's Top 150…an OC Register Player to Watch three straight seasons…registered eight shutouts and 93 saves as a junior and five shutouts and 86 saves as a sophomore…played club for West Coast FC…helped lead team to three CalSouth/Region IV National Championships…a member of the US U15 Girls' National Team…a 2011 ODP selection…her aunt, Lindsey Huie, won two NCAA titles while playing for the University of Portland (2002 and '05)…also recruited by Long Beach State, Long Island and Saint Mary's…nickname is “Monk.”

Nagamine on Berger: “Monk is absolutely deserving of her No. 58 ranking on the ESPN's Top 150 Recruits. She comes in with a ton of experience and will compete for playing time immediately. Monk has a confidence that stems from her National Team and elite club trainings. Her positive attitude and work rate are tough to beat.”

Ryan Daniel | 5-5 | Defender | Freshman | Castro Valley, Calif. | Bishop O'Dowd HS
A three-year letterwinner for Bishop O'Dowd High School in Oakland, Calif…part of team that won three straight league titles and a pair of North Coast Section Division 3 titles (2010, '12)…an all-league selection …also a standout runner…part of a 4x400 team that won sectionals and finished fourth in the state…as a youth was ranked fourth nationally in the 400 meters…club team is the Bay Oaks Speed Demons .

Nagamine on Daniel: “Ryan's athleticism is just off the charts. She loves to get forward on attack and will provide us with a ton of speed in the back. She will match up nicely with the attackers we have in the Big West Conference.”

Korinne Estrada | 5-3 | Defender | Junior | Sunnyvale, Calif. | Fremont HS
A transfer from Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, Calif…a two-time all-league selection…a first-team pick and Defender of the Year in 2012….helped lead team to league title as a freshman…a 2011 graduate of Fremont High School in California…a four-year letterwinner in soccer…twice named first-team all-league…played club soccer for MVLA and Juventus X

Nagamine on Estrada: “Korinne is going to add another dimension for us in the back. She is quick, aggressive and a solid tackler. She is a proven winner and leader at the JC level and I fully expect her to bring those qualities to our team.”

Hallie Hernandez | 5-4 | Midfield/Forward | Freshman | Corona, Calif. | Centennial HS
A three-year letterwinner at Centennial High School in Corona, Calif…a two-time all-league pick…tallied 24 goals and 15 assists in her fist three seasons…twice selected as the team's most outstanding offensive player…a member of the Sub-17 Mexican national soccer team…a starter in World Cup qualifiers and the 2012 FIFA U17 Women's World Cup in Azerbaijan…plays club for Blues Youth Soccer Cub….also played for Chelsea SC, earning a spot in the 2008 National Cup quarterfinals.

Nagamine on Hernandez: “Hallie's international playing experience is going to help our team play at the level we aspire to be at. She is a creative and dynamic midfielder who reads the game very well.”

Storm Kenui | 5-5 | Midfielder | Fr. | Waipahu, O'ahu | Moanalua HS
A four-year letterwinner at Moanalua High School in Honolulu…a three-time all-state selection, including first-team honors as a sophomore and junior…helped lead team to back-to-back OIA titles in 2011 and '12…former high school teammate of current Rainbow Wahine and all-Big West forward Tiana Fujimoto …a member of Le'ahi Soccer Club…won five state championships with Le'ahi…full name is Storm Ululani Ku'ulelaini Kenui.

Nagamine on Kenui: “Storm is going to be one of the most exciting local players to wear the UH jersey. She is a fierce competitor and hates to lose. Storm is a great header and will give us a presence in the air that is much needed.”

Kama Pascua | 5-5 | Midfield/Forward | Fr. | Waipahu, O'ahu | 'Iolani School
A four-year letterwinner for 'Iolani School in Honolulu…led team to three straight appearances in the state finals, including the state title in 2013…named ILH Offensive Player of the Year as a junior after leading the state in goals with 19…league's leading scorer as a senior, netting 21 goals… a candidate for the Gatorade State Girls Soccer Player of the Year…earned all-league and all-state mention…plays club soccer for Le'ahi…member of three Hawai'i State Cup championship squads…an ODP regional pool selection…younger sister of current Rainbow Wahine and all-Big West midfielder Krystal Pascua …given first name is Daisy.

Nagamine on Pascua: “The way Kama moves with the ball is like a hot knife through butter. She is one of the most technically gifted players I've ever seen. I am very excited to see her play with her sister, Krystal, as they have a special connection on the field that I think is going to result in a lot of goals for us.”

Madison Reed | 5-7 | Defender | Fr. | Mililani, O'ahu | Mililani HS)
A three-year letterwinner at Mililani High School on O'ahu …helped the Trojans capture league championships as a sophomore and senior…integral part of a squad that did not allow a single goal during league play in 2011 and '13…plays club soccer for Le''ahi…member of the '96 Premier squad that scored a pair of upsets over the nation's No. 1 club squad… has won seven Hawai'i State Cups with Le'ahi and made six straight USYS West Regional appearances.

Nagamine on Reed: “Maddie has that “George Ariyoshi” approach to the game. She is quite but effective. She is a blue-collar defender who is tough as nails and just shuts up, gets in the canoe and paddles.”

T.J. Reyno | 5-2 | Midfield/Forward | Fr. | Mililani, O'ahu | Mililani HS
A four-year letterwinner for Mililani High School in O'ahu… ranked No. 81 on ESPN's Top 150…named a 2011 NSCAA High School All-American and Region 4 selection… a candidate for the 2011 Gatorade State Player of the Year…the 2012 NSCAA State Player of the Year… a two-time all-state selection… 2011 OIA Red West Conference Player of the Year…part of three league championship squads for Mililani…team finished as state runner-ups her freshman season and third-place state finishes in 2011 and '12…teammate of fellow recruit Madison Reed and former teammate of current Rainbow Wahine defender Chelsea Miyake … plays club soccer for Le''ahi…member of the '96 Premier squad that scored two upsets over the nation's No. 1 club squad… the MISO Juniors scoring leader seven years running…given first name is Tierra.

Nagamine on Reyno: “T.J. has long been touted as one of the jewels of the 2013 class and has been one of top players in her age group for many years. T.J. was highly recruited by universities across the country and I couldn't be more thrilled that she chose UH. Getting a player like her to stay home is really an incredible feather in our hat.”