Wahine Softbows Pre-Season Ranking by College Sports Madness

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Wahine Softbows Pre-Season Ranking by College Sports Madness

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/5716 This website ranks the Wahine as #30 (#1 in Big West) in their pre-season rankings.

Kazz
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Wahine Softbows Pre-Season Ranking by College Sports Mad

Post by Kazz »

Ulchiro5ga wrote:http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/5716 This website ranks the Wahine as #30 (#1 in Big West) in their pre-season rankings.
Nitpicking time!!! Not sure this website/blog or whatever did their homework. I believe in their choice for Big West All Conference preseason teams, Parnaby's name wasnt anywhere to be found. Mistake #1!!!

Also, it notes:
Final Projection:
Coach Coolen and Hawai’i return much of their fire power both offensively and defensively for the 2013 season.
This is not accurate at all. I support this program a lot, but they have indeed lost a lot on the offensive and defensive side. Sarah Robinson, Makani Duhaylonsod-Kaleimamahu, Alex Aguirre and Dara Pagaduan were HUGE in their senior year and they had good intangibles with regards to leadership kind of like how the seniors of 2010 paved the way to the WCWS. That is a A LOT to lose. The statement they made above looks like it was only based on Majam and Iwata and if they did their homework they are painting a picture that is not accurate.

Sophomores Kayla Wartner and Leisha Li'ili'i will be looked heavily upon to be those bats that we lost in Makani and Robinson, but then Wartner and Liilii were also very productive so, who replaces them? Freshman Kristina Akiona has a heavy bat and so does Alyssa VIllalpando. Akiona looks like she could go either 3rd base or SS depending on Iwata's shoulder situation as Iwata may be relegated to DP until she is 100%. Then you have to look at where juniors Kaile Nakao and Jazmine Zamora are at this stage in their college career as both have had limited playing time.

There are a lot of spots to fill, but its NOT like we do not have the potential to be a good team this season. Things will have to gel moreso this year that last season. Last season, we had the blessing of a large senior class that everyone looked up to and that does wonders as the chemistry spreads quickly in a positive manner.

This is a very young team and not necessarily in AGE, but in playing experience as it should be noted several upper classmen are fighting for a starting job after a few years waiting their turn.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

What happened to Iwata's shoulder?

Kazz
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Kazz »

uhwarriors wrote:What happened to Iwata's shoulder?
Nagging injury stemming from last season. Was noted in the Star Advertiser article on Iwata sometime last week I think.

All thru the fall, they didn’t want her throwing, but she was able to hit. Fall exhibition games, she played the DP role in the batting order, might continue depending of course.