Wahine vs. Cal State Northridge

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
EastCoastWahine
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Wahine vs. Cal State Northridge

Post by EastCoastWahine »

Was at the match tonight. It was a hot, sticky gym. Our players seemed listless. Theirs were motivated. Our passing was problematic to say the least, theirs was on for most the night. Our liberos didn't seem to dig too many balls successfully, their libero, #6, was just lights out. She was everywhere---it seemed like if she touched the ball during the point, CSN would go on to win the point. Somehow we kept serving to her, or they were just clearing the floor for her to receive everything, but she was amazing. Their #17 impressed me as well. Croson had 18 kills but she was very off for her for most the match. She had service errors, passing errors, and often hit right into their block. And yet somehow the wahine managed to win. My husband and I still can't believe it . . . how did they pull that out?!! They were even down 14-12 in the 5th and still won. For that last stretch, the wahine finally had some decent passes, which led to good sets, which led to some power on the hits. That was nice to see. Wow, just wow. Still shaking my head! This is an interesting team----lots of potential but they seemed raw overall. I liked the play of Ashley Kasti at the end of the match---she made a few clutch plays. Overall, I don't know if the wahine played tight because it was the first away match of the year, or what, but hopefully this win provides some confidence going forward. Go Bows!!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Wahine vs. Cal State Northridge

Post by chawan_cut »

glad to see we have Hawaii fans everywhere to support our teams! hope you weren't the only one in green!
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

EastCoastWahine
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EastCoastWahine »

:) It was so fun to be there. Now that we live on the West Coast, we try to see at as many matches in our area as we can. There was a lot of family at the match last night---Monica Stauber had a big crew and I think Mita Uiato and Emily Hartong's families were also there, among others. We had a little section of green that really got going in the 5th set especially. CSN had a group of college guys in aloha shirts trying to bait our wahine all night, especially on serves, so in the 5th we just tried to drown them out :). You can imagine we were all pretty pumped when the wahine pulled it out at the end!

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

EastCoastWahine wrote::) It was so fun to be there. Now that we live on the West Coast, we try to see at as many matches in our area as we can. There was a lot of family at the match last night---Monica Stauber had a big crew and I think Mita Uiato and Emily Hartong's families were also there, among others. We had a little section of green that really got going in the 5th set especially. CSN had a group of college guys in aloha shirts trying to bait our wahine all night, especially on serves, so in the 5th we just tried to drown them out :). You can imagine we were all pretty pumped when the wahine pulled it out at the end!
They sound like the Bowzos from the Klum Gym days. Dave Shoji was on the Bobby Curran Show this morning and said that the guys in aloha shirts were CSUN men's volleyball team members. The Wahine played especially poorly when they were on that side of the court. Maybe some payback is in order when the CSUN men come here to play.

I saw a picture from the match in the Star-Advertiser sports section. Good to see folks in our colors in the stands. I think Wahine fans in attendance made a difference and put some "home" in a road match.

niterunner808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NFL: 9ers

Post by niterunner808 »

:-$