wahine to short

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: wahine to short

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

When was the last NCAA Championship?

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

0n my flight back to Honolulu from Vegas l saw a very tall , blonde flight attendant. l asked her if she played volleyball and she said she used to. Her name was Sarah, l never asked her for her last name or if she played for UH, but i think she was Sarah Mason. l asked if she keeps up with Wahine Vball, she told me sorta. l asked her what she thought of the team. She told me Dave's an amazing coach and got some talent but needed a lil more height, l told her, thats exactly what i been saying. Then i told her how i play for UH years and years ago, she said cool, then i had to get back to my seat cz the fasten seat belt sign came on, crazy turbulence haha true story....anyone ever see this flight attendant before on Hawaiian Airlines?? is she Sarah Mason?

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

whirlygig5 wrote:0n my flight back to Honolulu from Vegas l saw a very tall , blonde flight attendant. l asked her if she played volleyball and she said she used to. Her name was Sarah, l never asked her for her last name or if she played for UH, but i think she was Sarah Mason. l asked if she keeps up with Wahine Vball, she told me sorta. l asked her what she thought of the team. She told me Dave's an amazing coach and got some talent but needed a lil more height, l told her, thats exactly what i been saying. Then i told her how i play for UH years and years ago, she said cool, then i had to get back to my seat cz the fasten seat belt sign came on, crazy turbulence haha true story....anyone ever see this flight attendant before on Hawaiian Airlines?? is she Sarah Mason?
Sarah Mason, 6-3 OH from St Joseph HS, Hilo signed with Oregon State then transferred to Manoa after playing two years for the Beavers. Started for the Wahine for 2 years Great height but never did make AA (no pun intended) like short Wahine athletes, i.e. Amber Kaufman, Danielson, Cubi-Otineru, Willoughby, Tee Williams, Ah Mow, Kamana’o, etc.

You're definitely stuck on height--check out the 2013 Top 100 PrepVolleyball Senior Aces list and where they signed.

Hawaii has a mountain to climb starting with being stuck 2,500 miles in the middle of the pacific, going against BCS powerhouse programs with no limit in recruiting, i.e. PAC 10, BIG 10, BIG 12 and SEC. But, Coach Shoiji perennially has done wonders with his recruitment of Top 100 Senior Aces. LOL…in the last 12 years Hawaii has landed only 3 in the top 10, i.e. Danielson at #5, Croson at #7 and Boogaard at #9, but in the last 12 years has been to more FINAL FOUR and Regionals than a lot of BCS powers with their top recruiting classes.

Where the 2013 PrepVolleyball Top 30 Senior Aces signed:

Wisconsin: #1 Lauren Carlini 6-2 S; #14 Sarah Wilhite 6-1 OH
Southern Cal: #2 Elise Ruddins 6-4 OH; #7 Ebony Nwanebu 6-4 RS
Michigan: #3 Abby Cole 6-5 MB
Michigan State: #4 Chloe Reinig 6-4 OH
Nebraska: #5 Kadie Rolfzen 6-3 OH; #8 Amber Rolfzen 6-3 OH; #13 Kelly Hunter 5-11 S/RS; #23 Kira Larson 6-3 MB

Texas: #6 Chiaka Ogbogu 6-1 MB; #10 Chloe Collins 5-7 S
Florida: #9 Alex Holston 6-0 S/RS
Arizona State: #11 BreElle Bailey 6-4 MB
Stanford: #12 Kelsey Humphreys 6-0 S; #28 Merete Lutz 6-8 MB
Washington: #15 Bailey Tanner 6-2 S/OH; #18 Carly Dehoog 6-4 RS
UCLA: #16 Claire Felix 6-5 MB
California: #17 Jenelle Jordan 6-2 MB
Hawaii: #19 Tayler Higgins 5-10 S; #26 Nikki Taylor 6-3 OH
Minnesota: #20 Hannah Tapp 6-3 MB; #30 Paige Tapp 6-1 RS/MB
Purdue: #21 Ashley Evans 6-1 S
Illinois: #22 Michelle Strizak 6-0 OH/S
Long Beach State: #24 Joy Milewy 6-2 OH/MB
Ohio State: #25 Taylor Sandbothe 6-1 MB; #27 Kylie Randall 6-2 OH
Baylor: #29 Omotola Itiola 6-2 MB

And the rest of the top 100 listed at 6-3 and > with their recruiting ranking:

Dayton: #33 Taylor Fricano 6-3 OH
UCLA: #38 Jlennie Frager 6-5 MB
Michigan State: #70 Brooke Kranda 6-6 RS/MB
Pacific: #88 Emily Christensen 6-4 MB
Arizona: #96 McKenzie Jacobson 6-5 MB/RS
Missouri: #36 Emily Thater 6-3 MB
Virginia: #41 Meghan McDowell 6-3 S/RS
Tennessee: #45 Raina Hembry 6-3 MB
Kentucky: Emily Franklin 6-3 MB
Florida: #63 Isabel Carmona 6-3 RS
Senior Ace Next 150 (Just missed the top-100 listing):
Virginia: Alex Thorson 6-3 RS
New Mexico: Cassie House 6-3 OH/RS
TCU: Natalie Gower 6-4 RS/MB

FYI
Since 2000 Hawaii has been to 4 FINAL FOUR, and 7 NCAA Regionals. The only time the Wahine hasn't made it to the regionals was in 2007 and 2010 when the Wahine failed to get out of the 2nd round.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

seasider wrote:
. . . "Hawaii has a mountain to climb starting with being stuck 2,500 miles in the middle of the pacific, going against BCS powerhouse programs with no limit in recruiting, i.e. PAC 10, BIG 10, BIG 12 and SEC. But, Coach Shoiji perennially has done wonders with his recruitment of Top 100 Senior Aces. LOL…in the last 12 years Hawaii has landed only 3 in the top 10, i.e. Danielson at #5, Croson at #7 and Boogaard at #9, but in the last 12 years has been to more FINAL FOUR and Regionals than a lot of BCS powers with their top recruiting classes."

I've always been a fan of Dave Shoji, ever since he was a part-time volleyball coach and had to teach physical education at UH (I took a PE course from him). And I do remember him saying many years ago that it is difficult to recruit the high school all-american girls to UH, who tend to go to the major conference schools. Take a look at the list provided by seasider, and besides Hawaii, only Long Beach State is on the list as far as being a mid-major school. I still stand behind my earlier statement that desite a lack of height or lack of talent, Dave Shoji manages to find a way to win and make the most of what he has at his disposal.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

My3Cats wrote:seasider wrote:
. . . "Hawaii has a mountain to climb starting with being stuck 2,500 miles in the middle of the pacific, going against BCS powerhouse programs with no limit in recruiting, i.e. PAC 10, BIG 10, BIG 12 and SEC. But, Coach Shoiji perennially has done wonders with his recruitment of Top 100 Senior Aces. LOL…in the last 12 years Hawaii has landed only 3 in the top 10, i.e. Danielson at #5, Croson at #7 and Boogaard at #9, but in the last 12 years has been to more FINAL FOUR and Regionals than a lot of BCS powers with their top recruiting classes."

I've always been a fan of Dave Shoji, ever since he was a part-time volleyball coach and had to teach physical education at UH (I took a PE course from him). And I do remember him saying many years ago that it is difficult to recruit the high school all-american girls to UH, who tend to go to the major conference schools. Take a look at the list provided by seasider, and besides Hawaii, only Long Beach State is on the list as far as being a mid-major school. I still stand behind my earlier statement that desite a lack of height or lack of talent, Dave Shoji manages to find a way to win and make the most of what he has at his disposal.
Overall a lack of height at certain positions versus top ten BCS powers, i.e. UCLA, Stanford, USC, Texas, Penn State, California, etc. But, when the Wahine is in system, they can beat any of the mention programs.

LACK OF TALENT? That’s a low blow to the current Wahine on this year's roster.

Again, as posted earlier in this thread, present Wahine who made the TOP 100 Senior Ace and Next 150 coming out of HS:

Ginger Long 5-11 OH RsFr
Kaela Goodman 6-1 OH Jr
Kristiana Tuaniga 6-1 RsJr MB-also a FAB 50
Monica Stauber 5-8 S, So
Jade Vorster 6-4 MB, RsFr
Tai Manu-Olevau 6-0 OH, Fr
Jane Croson 5-11 OH, So, ranked #7 2011 Class and also a FAB 50, also ranked as one the top 4 freshmen
….for NCAA FOY by Volleyball Magazine.
Mita Uiato 5-8 S-also a FAB 50
Emily Hartong 6-2 OH/MB 2nd team AA 2011
Kalie Adolpho 6-1 MB
Alyssa Long 5-6 L who was a starter for Penn State last year at L/DB
Ashley Kasti 6-0 OH who was the leading kill leader for Arizona State last year
Stephanie Hagins 6-4 MB RsSo, transfer from Washington State University.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I agree that the Wahine can beat anyone when they are in system. And don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the players on the team who choose to become Wahine. My point is that Dave has had difficulty in recruiting the high school all-americans because they tend to choose the major programs in the BCS conferences. How many high school all-americans have played at Hawaii over these past few years? 2011-2012 American Volleyball Coaches Under Armour list showed none on the 1st, 2nd or honorable mention teams. Check out the commits for schools such as Stanford, Texas, Nebraska, Washington on the 1st and 2nd teams. Loads of talent there.

2011-2012: none
http://www.avca.org/awards/all-america/high-school/

2010-2011: Ginger Long
http://assumption.groupfusion.net/modul ... A%20PR.pdf

I would post more examples but cannot find prior years on the internet. Dave does get a few here and there, but the roster has not been heavily populated with players of the A-A caliber, in comparison to the Stanfords, etc. In any event, the lack of overall height has been another of Hawaii's issues over the years, which is this thread's primary topic. A couple of 6 footers with the remainder sub 6 feet will generally struggle against taller teams, all other things being equal.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

My3Cats wrote:I agree that the Wahine can beat anyone when they are in system. And don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the players on the team who choose to become Wahine. My point is that Dave has had difficulty in recruiting the high school all-americans because they tend to choose the major programs in the BCS conferences. How many high school all-americans have played at Hawaii over these past few years? 2011-2012 American Volleyball Coaches Under Armour list showed none on the 1st, 2nd or honorable mention teams. Check out the commits for schools such as Stanford, Texas, Nebraska, Washington on the 1st and 2nd teams. Loads of talent there.

2011-2012: none
http://www.avca.org/awards/all-america/high-school/

2010-2011: Ginger Long
http://assumption.groupfusion.net/modul ... A%20PR.pdf

I would post more examples but cannot find prior years on the internet. Dave does get a few here and there, but the roster has not been heavily populated with players of the A-A caliber, in comparison to the Stanfords, etc. In any event, the lack of overall height has been another of Hawaii's issues over the years, which is this thread's primary topic. A couple of 6 footers with the remainder sub 6 feet will generally struggle against taller teams, all other things being equal.
LOL...Under Armour looks at PrepVolleyball.com Senior Ace Top 100 and Volleyball Magazine FAB 50, then they make their list.

Besides, that listing is only for the 2012 recruiting class. Present Wahine on the rosters are from 2009-2012 Recruiting Class. Last year, by Wahine standards, was a poor recruiting year, with Olevau making the NEXT 150 list, and transfers Haggins (NEXT 150) and Kastl (NEXT 150).

All of the Wahine on scholarship made the PrepVolleyball.com Top 100 Senior ACE, with Croson the highest at #7 (Danielson who graduated last year was #5 coming out of high school), except for Olevau, Long, Haggins, Kastl and Longo who made the Senior Ace NEXT 150. The Wahine had 3 FAB 50s in Croson, Tuaniga and Uiato.

Every year the Wahine' roster is loaded wit Top 100 Senior Ace and FAB 50s, is the BIG reason why the Wahine is a perennial top 10 program.

The Wahine 2013 Recruiting Class has the Senior Ace #19 recruit (Higgins Setter), #26 recruit(Taylor 6-3 OH).

And, PrepVolleyball Senior Aces are picked by D1 coaches, basically by how they perform against all-star club programs.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

More reasons why the Wahine is a perennial top 10 program:

FAB 50

Only UCLA, Stanford, Nebraska, Penn State, USC, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, Illinois have had more athletes named to Volleyball Magazine FAB 50.

AVCA All-Americans

Only Nebraska, Stanford, Penn State, have had more AVCA All-Americans than Hawaii

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I don't disagree with seasider's statements and do agree that the Wahine are a perennnial top 10 program with the players that Dave recruits. Now if he can only entice the Fab 50 6-5 and 6-6 young women to matriculate to Manoa we would be looking at perennial top 5! Hawaii is far and away the best of the mid-major schools on an annual basis.

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

More height would be nice, but serving tougher would be better. This year's team isn't serving as tough as last years. They need to pick it up in practice and that will go a long way toward improving their play this year. Why? Because if they're serving tougher in practice (and they have the opportunity to see all kinds of serves in practice -- jumpers by Croson and Hartong, jump floats by Longo, Uiato, Lelepali and Maeda), then they should also be getting better as serve receive (passing). Better passing gives the setter more options and ability to run the offense faster. It seems to me that the offense to the outside is running a little slower this year (maybe just my perception). Run a faster, more precise offense and you'll out-quick the other teams' height.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

808 wrote:More height would be nice, but serving tougher would be better. This year's team isn't serving as tough as last years. They need to pick it up in practice and that will go a long way toward improving their play this year. Why? Because if they're serving tougher in practice (and they have the opportunity to see all kinds of serves in practice -- jumpers by Croson and Hartong, jump floats by Longo, Uiato, Lelepali and Maeda), then they should also be getting better as serve receive (passing). Better passing gives the setter more options and ability to run the offense faster. It seems to me that the offense to the outside is running a little slower this year (maybe just my perception). Run a faster, more precise offense and you'll out-quick the other teams' height.
This next two road games should be WINS, so maybe coach Shoiji should start Stauber instead of Uiato and see what she can do.

LOL, because of poor passing these past few games, can't blame Uiato for all those predictable sets to the outside. Maybe Stauber can do "mo betta" with the same kind of passing-IMHO when she's on the court, she seems to connect with the middles better, i.e. versus UCLA, her quick-back set on those step out to the middle was "money".

There are already a few who think Higgins and Taylor are redshirt possibilities...but, IMHO Higgins and Taylor will challenge for a starting role respectively for the setting and outside slots from day one. This two (highly recruited by mainland powers) local athletes are "the real deals".

kolohekeiki
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by kolohekeiki »

I definitely agree with Seasider in this debate...getting back to the topic at hand the Wahine did not lose the match to Cal due to the lack of height...

The main reason like Seasider and other's mentioned was the passing breakdown and the inability for Uiato to run her normal offense...not to mention Cal finally came with the game everyone was expecting them to play...if they played that way from day one of the tournament they wouldn't have lost to Baylor or San Fran...

Seasider is backing up all his/her statements with hard facts while whirlygig5 is just throwing random statements out there with no evidence or facts...the Wahine have been a perennial power despite their lack of height...the Wahine's talent, skill and heart have trumped the height card for years now...yes the Wahine haven't broken through and won that national championship, but the Wahine still have a pretty impressive resume considering what they get compared to the talent amongst the top BCS schools...Dave Shoji is the best coach IMO to develop talent and he has done a great job turning local talent into all-Americans.

Whirlygig5 have you been following Wahine volleyball of late, since apparently you said you did play for the Wahine during the Allen Allen days? Have you been intuned with the Wahine in recent years?

Yes it is obvious that the Wahine lack height, but it's not the reason they lost to Cal.

niterunner808
NFL: 9ers

Post by niterunner808 »

seasider wrote:
caboman70 wrote:Time after time the commentators kept saying how tired UH looked, weird when they were at home and California had to travel, you'd think it'd be the other way around. But UH's lack of size caught up to them at the end. lt is pretty plain and simple.
No pun intended, but a lot of times, especially Leahy's radio play-by-play is way out of touch with what is going on the floor...mistakes galore, but I still love the guy. I just wish he would just let the game flow and let the TV viewers enjoy the action in real time, versus listening to his delayed play calling.

Passing lost the game for the Wahine, not SIZE. LOL...the Wahine did not win over Stanford because they had more size, they won because of their floor defense and PASSING that gave Uiato FOUR options, instead of one HIGH and WIDE to the outside where SIX hands were waiting to block or slow down Hartong/Croson's attacks.

The Wahine made it to the final four in 2009 not because of their SIZE, but because of their athleticism and tremendous defense featuring two undersized OHs in Kanani Danielson at 5-10 and Aneli Cubi-Otineru at 5-10. LOL…the Wahine had only one top ten recruit in Danielson, but they took a set from Penn State that was loaded, at that time, with top ten recruiting classes for the past 4 years.

The Wahine always will be undersized compared to most top BCS programs from the PAC 12, Big 12, Big 10, i.e. Stanford, Cal, USC, Washington, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, Illinois, Minnesota…and a handful of non-majors, i.e. Pepperdine. But, for the past 11 years (2001-2011), except for 2001 at #13; 2007 #18, and 2010 at #13, the Wahine have finished the year ranked in the TOP TEN.

Last year the Wahine took USC to five in the Hawaii Regional…the Wahine didn’t lose because of their lack of size, but because USC went toe-to-toe matching the Wahine in digs and overall floor defense.

Bottom line, on broken plays where Uiato’s only options were those high sets to the outside, Hartong and Croson need to hit smart by putting the ball in play with dinks, roll shots, angle shots versus trying to overwhelm a well formed block, thus giving the Wahine another chance to win a point.

jim leahy (you meant tv) has been like that for years (for all the sports except softball), it's the les keiter syndrome of not knowing when to quit (when the skills are gone)