Is Charlie Wade walking on thin ice?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Is Charlie Wade walking on thin ice?

Post by Small~Axe »

2010 19-10
2011 15-13
2012 6-12 to date
His contract expires 6/30/2012
Fan interest is really down this year.
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

All-American
All-American

Re: Is Charlie Wade walking on thin ice?

Post by 808 »

Small~Axe wrote:2010 19-10
2011 15-13
2012 6-12 to date
He may be. Disappointing tenure so far.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Don't think he is. MPSF is a pretty tough conference. Losing Jonas was more of a big deal than they first thought at the beginning of the season.

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

I wonder what criteria he was given in comparison to what Dana was given for the women's basketball program. Assuming the criteria was similar -- has he won? Not really. Has the team shown improvement? Debatable. Has attendance increased? No. At least he didn't have to heal any damaged psyches. I don't think he can use the loss of Umlauft as an excuse; Dana lost Kuehu, Cravens and never got to get Karaitiana onto the court and that didn't help her cause. I guess Charlie also has going for him that he wasn't a political hire--i.e., there wasn't political pressure applied to force JD to hire him when someone else would probably have been a better choice. If the team makes the MPSF playoffs, I'd guess that his job is safe. Miss the playoffs and ... I don't know.

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: San Fransico Giants
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by polywarrior4life »

The way things are going with head coaches getting the boot.......I would say he is on thin ice. JD not only looks at the record I guess, but he also looks at the attendance and recruiting. Time is money, and if there is no money, there is no honey.
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

vbfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by vbfan »

According to this old blog post by Stephen Tsai Charlie Wade got a 5 year contract. He's currently in year 3. So he will be back for at least 2 more seasons after this one no matter what happens.

http://warriorbeat.staradvertiserblogs. ... arlie-wade

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

It is supposedly the toughest conference that any UH team plays in. For that matter it is the toughest conference any team plays in. At least that is what I heard the experts say.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

vbfan wrote:According to this old blog post by Stephen Tsai Charlie Wade got a 5 year contract. He's currently in year 3. So he will be back for at least 2 more seasons after this one no matter what happens.

http://warriorbeat.staradvertiserblogs. ... arlie-wade
One more season.. and only if he starts off well. Otherwise, he will be bought off early and a new coach hired.

Hopefully, he can turn things around.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

Finishing #14,15,16 out of 23 DI teams is not very good. Charlie can't afford this type of result next season or its adios.
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,

kolohekeiki
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by kolohekeiki »

I definitely I agree that I think he has one more season to turn it all around...I think his first year was pretty good and if I'm not mistaken in his first year he turned the program around from the previous season...

And yes the loss of Umlauft, Walker and their setter was definitely huge shoes to fill...although Charlie did hype up the team a little too much during pre-season and it just ended in disappointment

The MPSF is most definitely the most competitive conference in the nation...just like women's water polo...due to the lack of teams, all the West Coast schools are all in the same conference...what other conference in the has the ability to place all their teams in the national poll? It has happened this season with all the MPSF teams ranked in the top 15 at some point during the season...

In terms of the crowd...I don't believe the crowd will show interest anytime soon...it seems as a whole lots of the Hawai`i faithful has lost interest in the men's game...the only way I can see the crowd getting a little bigger is if Charlie recruits the local boys to stay home...I feel it is kind of sad that all the top local players head off to the mainland and you see them leading their teams to the top...(ie Stanford winning the national championship w/ Kawika & Erik Shoji, Brad Lawson, Spencer McLaughlin, Jordan Inafuku and Chandler Ka`a`a on the roster)...I don't even remember the last time one of the top local players chose to stay home...Tony Ching might have been the last and that's the last time the Warriors had a decent crowd...unless Charlie can convince the local boys to stay home and recruit locally the crowd will not return to the Stan Sheriff for the men's program...

niterunner808
High-quality H20 provider
NFL: 9ers

Post by niterunner808 »

:-:-:-:-

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

2011 15-13
2012 6-12 to date
Finished 2012 at 7-20
2013: 5-12 to date

I think he better start looking for another job...
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Small~Axe wrote:
2011 15-13
2012 6-12 to date
Finished 2012 at 7-20
2013: 5-12 to date

I think he better start looking for another job...
I agree. Would have been better if that kid came back from Germany.
ImageImage

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

I think he's learning how to recruit and split the scholarship money. Seems to be getting some local recruits which will help the gate...
2013 signees:
Jennings Franciskovic
Dane Keckin
Kupono Fey
Nainoa Frank
2014 verbal commits:
Tui Tuileta (will play football too)
Luke Owens
Kama Paio

Cyberspace_4
MLB: New York Yankees
NBA: OKC Thunders
NFL: Miami Dolphins

Post by Cyberspace_4 »

Looks like good local recruits. They had a guy from Punahou over at Long Beach State, but Long Beach State is still a go. I mean Long Beach State last year and the year before beat out some good local talents here and the others at UH. Long Beach State home to one of the players prior years, Jerod Lofy for UH at 6-9. I think UH has shown they're an overall team and must compete locally also. Jerod was one?