Manoa Underground Radio Show

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Re: Colt Brennan Interview

Post by Haynr8dr »

SundayJam wrote:
Colt's only mistake was getting pummeled in the Sugar Bowl.
Personally, I thought Colt's mistake was returning for his Senior year.

It's all about timing.

Colt was projected by ALL PUNDITS to be the 3rd, if not the 4th QB taken in that year's draft (JaMarcus Russel the #1 overall). That would have had him ahead of Drew Stanton who ended up with the Lions, and most certainly ahead of John Beck (the guy that essentially replaced Colt with the Redskins) who initially was drafted by the Dolphins.

The key being, he would have been a 2nd rounder minimum. Which means the team that drafted him would have made a significant financial investment in him, hence, would have massaged that investment for all it's worth. In otherwords, Colt would have been given more opportunity, a fair opportunity to latch on.

Otherwise, I agree with 808Ape - I sense Colt's NFL window has closed. I'd have zero problem if our speculation was wrong, of course.

Good Luck, Colt!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Colt didn't make any mistakes in the Sugar Bowl. That 2007 team just simply did not belong in that Sugar Bowl. Period.

Hope to see Colt playing in Canada soon. Don't waste that accuracy!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

SundayJam wrote:=; Please...Colt IS a better player than little lord Tebow. That Hall of Fame Game where he lit up the competition with 3 td's in a single quarter of play was a thing to behold. I'm sick of the Tebow's, Young's, Flacco's, and Russel's stinking up the NFL. I understand how everyone would want another Steve Young, but I favor the Joe Montana's of the NFL.

Colt's only mistake was getting pummeled in the Sugar Bowl.
that was his oline's mistake.

and you're a better QB than Tim Tebow.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

J-Rod wrote:Colt didn't make any mistakes in the Sugar Bowl. That 2007 team just simply did not belong in that Sugar Bowl. Period.

Hope to see Colt playing in Canada soon. Don't waste that accuracy!
only colt, bess and RGM belonged on that field.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

coming back his senior year was not a mistake...he ended up being a heisman finalist! what did drop his value thou is the sugar bowl. he took a beating that game and him crying on the sideline didnt help his stock either. had hawaii won on the other hand, colt would have at least been a 2nd rd pick.

anyway good luck to colt in the cfl. im excited to see him finally play.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

808APE wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
808APE wrote:Good for Colt finally facing reality, he should have went the CFL/AFL route a long time ago when it was obvious he wasn't NFL material. At least we'll be able to see him on a team....don't know how much playing time he'll get in Canada, but at least he'll get some reps in and possibly a little tape for whatever. It's a two year commitment, he's already going on 29....so he'll never sniff the NFL. Oh well, he tried. Light'em up Colt!
How do you know he'll never get back to the NFL. What if he blows up in the the CFL? Look at Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia. They weren't starters until 29-31.

It sickens me how many Hawaii people talk poop about Colt now. Screw you %#@*ers.
Awww. I think most realists realize his position; happy to see him playing SOMEWHERE. The CFL is nothing to scoff at, it's a great opportunity for Colt. Shoot, it's tailor made for his style w/large fields and fast, quick offenses. He has a 99.99% chance of never playing in the NFL. That isn't hate, it's realism. But feel free to live in the fantasy world that June Jones tailor made for you. "Best QB in the country......#1 draft pick.....goes on ESPN making an IDIOT of himself claiming Colt was better than Tebow"....whatever June, there's a reason why Colt wasn't prepared for the NFL (see: entitlement and poor work ethic due to you putting him on a pedestal and bad mentoring) the NFL thinks you're a complete joke and moron and nobody outside of the WAC took your offense and subsequent stats serious. But whatever....
Nevamind editing your post. You got something to say, SAY IT.

BTT, I never belittled the CFL. I think its a great league and its fun to watch. And Colt didn't fail because of entitlement and poor work ethic, he was victim to peoples prejudgment of what he's not and injuries.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

reignjah11 wrote:coming back his senior year was not a mistake...he ended up being a heisman finalist! what did drop his value thou is the sugar bowl. he took a beating that game and him crying on the sideline didnt help his stock either. had hawaii won on the other hand, colt would have at least been a 2nd rd pick.
Colt's Senior season, if you recall, was a cluster**** to start. "No soap in the shower", 'nuff said.

Herman had to scramble filling a schedule, partly due to a team pulling out (Texas?). We ended up with 2 FCS teams on schedule, and the whole season we dealt with the National media and our strength-of-schedule. JJ was constantly fending off the "system quarterback" question. It allowed for doubt to creep into some minds about the quality of Colt.

Otherwise, Colt arguably had the best season any FBS QB has ever had his Junior season. He owned a bakers-dozen single-season NCAA FBS records, maybe some still standing today.

Meanwhile, most observers would concur that Colt's decision to return for his Senior season more than likely cost him several millions of dollars in earnings. His dad would concur for sure.

Heisman finalist?
... or ...
Lucrative NFL career? - which chances would have been better had he declared his Junior season, imho.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

reignjah11 wrote:coming back his senior year was not a mistake...he ended up being a heisman finalist! what did drop his value thou is the sugar bowl. he took a beating that game and him crying on the sideline didnt help his stock either. had hawaii won on the other hand, colt would have at least been a 2nd rd pick.
Crying like a baby on the sideline didn't hurt Tebow at all. I don't think it hurt Brennan either. Brennan couldn't compete in the combine, because of a surgery to his hip. He had a similar surgery just before he tried to make the Oakland Raiders team. Yeah...his timing was not ideal.
Haynr8dr wrote:
Colt's Senior season, if you recall, was a cluster**** to start. "No soap in the shower", 'nuff said.

Herman had to scramble filling a schedule, partly due to a team pulling out (Texas?). We ended up with 2 FCS teams on schedule, and the whole season we dealt with the National media and our strength-of-schedule. JJ was constantly fending off the "system quarterback" question. It allowed for doubt to creep into some minds about the quality of Colt.

Otherwise, Colt arguably had the best season any FBS QB has ever had his Junior season. He owned a bakers-dozen single-season NCAA FBS records, maybe some still standing today.

Meanwhile, most observers would concur that Colt's decision to return for his Senior season more than likely cost him several millions of dollars in earnings. His dad would concur for sure.

Heisman finalist?
... or ...
Lucrative NFL career? - which chances would have been better had he declared his Junior season, imho.
That would be McChicken State. They actually paid us $275,000 to not play us. We belonged in the Sugar Bowl alright. However, June Jones head was not in the game. For some strange reason, fans believe a bowl game must be a close game to be called worthy. The fact is, teams get blown out of Sugar Bowls, Rose Bowls, and National Championships every year.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SundayJam wrote:Crying like a baby on the sideline didn't hurt Tebow at all. I don't think it hurt Brennan either. Brennan couldn't compete in the combine, because of a surgery to his hip. He had a similar surgery just before he tried to make the Oakland Raiders team. Yeah...his timing was not ideal.
Actually Colt killed it in the combine with the throwing drills. He was the only one to complete all his passes. The surgery happened after the combine and before the draft. I believe that dropped his stock in the draft. After the failure of the Sugar and Senior Bowl, Colt raised his draft profile to what some say was a 3rd-4th round pick. After the news that he needed surgery before the draft, his stock dropped.

Like whats been said before, injuries have derailed Colt's career so far.

But like Colt himself said, the struggles in life and how we overcome will define us. And I believe Colt will overcome his struggles and succeed .

Watch this if you forgot what Colt is about and what he did for Hawaii and what Hawaii did for him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ISbMHKF2vc

808APE
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808APE »

How do you know he'll never get back to the NFL. What if he blows up in the the CFL? Look at Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia. They weren't starters until 29-31.

It sickens me how many Hawaii people talk poop about Colt now. Screw you %#@*ers.

Awww. I think most realists realize his position; happy to see him playing SOMEWHERE. The CFL is nothing to scoff at, it's a great opportunity for Colt. Shoot, it's tailor made for his style w/large fields and fast, quick offenses. He has a 99.99% chance of never playing in the NFL. That isn't hate, it's realism. But feel free to live in the fantasy world that June Jones tailor made for you. "Best QB in the country......#1 draft pick.....goes on ESPN making an IDIOT of himself claiming Colt was better than Tebow"....whatever June, there's a reason why Colt wasn't prepared for the NFL (see: entitlement and poor work ethic due to you putting him on a pedestal and bad mentoring) the NFL thinks you're a complete joke and moron and nobody outside of the WAC took your offense and subsequent stats serious. But whatever....

BTT, I never belittled the CFL. I think its a great league and its fun to watch. And Colt didn't fail because of entitlement and poor work ethic, he was victim to peoples prejudgment of what he's not and injuries.
yawn....more excuses. :shh: Poor widdle Colt is such a "victim" of the big mean NFL. :-({|= It's never Colt's fault, is it? Colt is where he's at because he isn't or hasn't been GOOD ENOUGH. Nothing wrong with that; many many many QB's come and go and washout. He made a semi-comfortable salary for doing absolutely nothing for 2 years in Washington.....good for him. Hopefully he proves he still got it in the CFL (if he makes the team).

The fact he's on dad's couch watching the football world progress around him not playing only proves my point so you can EDIT THAT :-

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

808APE wrote:

yawn....more excuses. :shh: Poor widdle Colt is such a "victim" of the big mean NFL. :-({|= It's never Colt's fault, is it? Colt is where he's at because he isn't or hasn't been GOOD ENOUGH. Nothing wrong with that; many many many QB's come and go and washout. He made a semi-comfortable salary for doing absolutely nothing for 2 years in Washington.....good for him. Hopefully he proves he still got it in the CFL (if he makes the team).

The fact he's on dad's couch watching the football world progress around him not playing only proves my point so you can EDIT THAT :-
If you're gonna troll, please do it elsewhere.

BTW are you that girl that roamed the Star Advertiser comment boards to talk $HIT about UH?

808APE
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808APE »

EITSwarrior wrote:
808APE wrote:

If you're gonna troll, please do it elsewhere.

BTW are you that girl that roamed the Star Advertiser comment boards to talk $HIT about UH?
I'm a civil dude, so I'll leave it at this: Colt is scrounging for a chance in another league that ISN'T the NFL. Until he gets in the real football league, i.e. the NFL, your argument is moot bruddah. Colt hasn't been good enough. We are all wishing Colt the best, whether you are a Colt cheerleader, or a realist. (BTW, the realists are winning like 100-0...but keep up your cute campaign). Now please Colt, show the world you are legit by making a CFL squad and tearing it up!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

What the hell? Realist being 100-0? What does that even mean? You making up crap like nothing. Civil my A$$. Keep trying to write witty stuff. You'll get it right eventually.

Besides is it wrong of us to wish a former UH player the best? You and the other losers bemoaned any positive encouragement that we put out there for Colt. He's been though enough crap in his life. You don't need to add to it..

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Evidently the poster is jealous of all the attention that Colt is getting. What does he do to garner the attention he craves? He talks smack about Colt and spreads LIES about him. We all know that Colt Brennen is the most accurate QB ever to play for UH. WE know that if given a chance, the opportunity to be an NFL QB that he would be successful. I'm not talking about a one time deal I'm talking about a real chance at the number one QB position. WE all know the NFL means "not for long". That is why Colt has been pushed to the side. It isn't because he isn't good enough for the NFL, he is. It is because the NFL is a business and because of the many injuries to Colt is why they don't give him a chance.

Here is where the CFL comes in. They truly give Colt the reins and give him the support he needs to be successful. Within a few years he is invited to the NFL to take over as the starting QB for a team with many QB's who can't get it done. If you know football you know the teams that I'm talking about.

That is it. That is the only way Colt gets a real chance of making it to the NFL. Until then WE pray and hope that Colt will find a team that will allow him to shine and make it back to the NFL. If that is where Colt's life is planned to end then that is where we will watch him play. Otherwise we may see him on the sideline as a coach or listen to him on the radio as a sports caster.

In any circumstance WE wish Colt Brennan the best of luck and God speed.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

808APE
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808APE »

HawaiianHogster wrote:Evidently the poster is jealous of all the attention that Colt is getting. What does he do to garner the attention he craves? He talks smack about Colt and spreads LIES about him. We all know that Colt Brennen is the most accurate QB ever to play for UH. WE know that if given a chance, the opportunity to be an NFL QB that he would be successful. I'm not talking about a one time deal I'm talking about a real chance at the number one QB position. WE all know the NFL means "not for long". That is why Colt has been pushed to the side. It isn't because he isn't good enough for the NFL, he is. It is because the NFL is a business and because of the many injuries to Colt is why they don't give him a chance.

Here is where the CFL comes in. They truly give Colt the reins and give him the support he needs to be successful. Within a few years he is invited to the NFL to take over as the starting QB for a team with many QB's who can't get it done. If you know football you know the teams that I'm talking about.

That is it. That is the only way Colt gets a real chance of making it to the NFL. Until then WE pray and hope that Colt will find a team that will allow him to shine and make it back to the NFL. If that is where Colt's life is planned to end then that is where we will watch him play. Otherwise we may see him on the sideline as a coach or listen to him on the radio as a sports caster.

In any circumstance WE wish Colt Brennan the best of luck and God speed.
:-({|=

lol, what "attention" is Colt getting? hahahaha NONE outside of Hawaii. Don't be foolish. That phone that isn't ringing for Colt is from the NFL. I guess this message board doesn't like dissenting opinions about ohana Colt. Oh well, maybe you can ask to have it changed to coltlovers.com. Whatever floats your boat kiddo. BTW, it isn't like I don't like Colt, sheesh. I'm just a realist. Colt ISN'T GOOD enough and nobody outside of Hawaii gives two :bootyshake: about him. The only chance he has of making a difference in football terms is hopefully earning a shot in the CFL. He sucked in the NFL, case closed. If he was remotely relevant he would be on a roster, but he isn't. How do I know? Because he's sitting on mom and dad's couch right now going on 29 years old reading this. BTW, realists 100, lovers 0. Also, thanks for the laugh with "Colt being a starting QB in the NFL", I really needed that...mahalo.