Jaime Houston?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
HawaiiD
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Jaime Houston?

Post by HawaiiD »

Aloha,

Has anybody heard if we still have a shot
at getting her? Heard she is a Kim willoughby
type payer according to Charlie Wade.

Aloha,
HawaiiD

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

Since Mason transfered I believe thats all the scholarships they have to offer.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Jaime Houston?

Post by seasider »

<<Has anybody heard if we still have a shot
at getting her? Heard she is a Kim willoughby
type payer according to Charlie Wade.>>

Jaime Houston, reportedly ranked 12th in this year's FAB 50, probably is signing with another school. When she made her recruiting visit last year, she wanted to sign, but her father wanted her to check all her options (? Pen State) before commiting.

Maybe I'm wrong, but, I think the Wahine has only two scholies for this year: One already going to Aneli Otiguru (? spelling), the other should be going to Sarah Mason, a transfer from Oregon. Mason is a two-time all state volleyball athlete from the Big Isles; made the Pac 10 All-Frosh team, and this past year was honorable mention All-Pac 10. Sarah brings height to the OH hitter postion at 6' 3", where she'll battle Boogaard, Arnott, and highly touted RS freshman Jessica Keefe for the starting LOH position. I feel Tara Hittle will continue to start at ROH position, and slide over to LOH after Susie graduates. Tara is the 2nd best passing OH for the Wahine. Aneli, like Tara is very explosive, a great leaper, will battle for playing time. Maybe RS so she can concentrate on academics and still practice with the team. JMHO, Susie will start at one of the LOH position, because of her superior passing skills. During the NCAA tournament, Susie was the most consistent terminator. Arnott and Hittle had their ups and downs.

The MB1 belongs to 2nd team AA Victoria Prince. MB2 position will be a battle between, Kari Gregory at 6-2, Juliana Sanders also 6-2, and highly touted FAB 50 RS freshman Nickie Thomas, 6-3. Kari the better blocker, but Juliana the stronger terminator. I was impressed with Juliana the last two games of the NCAAs, she came on strong and impressed a lot of people. During practice, Nickie Thomas was reportedly the 2nd best MB on the team.

I feel for Cayley Thurlby, because she can start or battle for that starting setter for any other team, except the Wahine. Again setter for the Wahine will be 1st team AA Kanoe Kamana'o.

Libero by default will belong to Ashley Watanabe, with battle coming from Racceen Woolford and Kelly Ong.

Return to the Final Four? The Wahine definitely one of the top FIVE teams going into 2005 season. JMHO.

HawaiiD
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Great post Seasider!

Post by HawaiiD »

Aloha,
Seasider

Welcome to the Sports Hawaii Ohana!
After reading your post I can't wait for the up coming season.
I also was wondering why did Nikki thomas RS. Don't get me wrong
in saying maybe she could have been the X-factor during last season's
run.However, it seems according to your post that she was highly touted
and the teams second best MB, A position to me that was last seasons weakest link.
Question Seasider...
Do you think the Wahine will go undefeated in the WAC this coming year?
And also how far will they go into the NCAA's this coming year ?
Lastly, who do you think will be the top 5 teams this comng year?
Please elaborate..
Again Great post!!
And welcome to the Sports Hawaii Ohana!

Aloha,
HawaiiD

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Great post Seasider!

Post by seasider »

[quote="HawaiiD"]Aloha,
Seasider

Welcome to the Sports Hawaii Ohana!
After reading your post I can't wait for the up coming season.
I also was wondering why did Nikki thomas RS. Don't get me wrong
in saying maybe she could have been the X-factor during last season's
run.However, it seems according to your post that she was highly touted
and the teams second best MB, A position to me that was last seasons weakest link.
Question Seasider...
Do you think the Wahine will go undefeated in the WAC this coming year?
And also how far will they go into the NCAA's this coming year ?
Lastly, who do you think will be the top 5 teams this comng year?
Please elaborate..
Again Great post!!
And welcome to the Sports Hawaii Ohana!

Glad to be on board!

Nevada will be tough at Nevada, but the Wahine should go undefeated in the WAC this coming season. With a year under their belts, the addition of Aneli Cubi-Otineru, Sarah Mason, RS freshmen Nickie Thomas, and Jessica Keefe, competition for starting and playing time will be fierce.

IMHO, Nebraska will enter the season as the Number 1 team in the nation, followed by Washington, Stanford, Hawaii, and Florida. Other top teams should be Penn State, UCLA, Minnesota, Arizona, and possibly USC and Santa Clara. These schools may have lost key returnies, but always reload with FAB 50s or key transfers. Stanford lost Nmanani, but loaded with FAB 50s.

Come selection time for the NCAA tourney, The Wahine should have one of the top 4 seeds. Unlike last year, the Wahine will host the 1st and 2nd round. Having the NCAA selecting pre-tourney sites for the The Regionals is BS. IMHO, the top four seeds should host all the way to The Regionals. Regardless, the Wahine will be a Final Four participant.

With RS freshmen Gregory, Sanders, Eckmeir, and WSU transfer Prince, Coach Shoji probably felt a RS year learning the system would only make Nickie Thomas a better MB. Coming out of HS, only Nickie Thomas was a FAB 50. Highly recruited by the likes of USC, Florida, Nebraska, Miami and Texas. For the MB2 position, competition for PT will be fierce. JMHO.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Doesn't Sara Mason have to sit out a year?

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

warriorfan808 wrote:Doesn't Sara Mason have to sit out a year?
Sara Mason had her release from the University of Oregon, so she will be able to suit up and compete for the Wahine this Fall. You must be thinking of D1 football or basketball, where a transferring athlete must sit out a year if that athlete transfer to another D1 program.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

seasider wrote:
warriorfan808 wrote:Doesn't Sara Mason have to sit out a year?
Sara Mason had her release from the University of Oregon, so she will be able to suit up and compete for the Wahine this Fall. You must be thinking of D1 football or basketball, where a transferring athlete must sit out a year if that athlete transfer to another D1 program.
oh wow, so there is a double standard. I figured those were NCAA rules that apply throughout all sports. Well, at least we won at the end of this

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Double standards, you bet. Like the NCAA volleyball committee, full of BS!

Remember when Hawaii gave Rick Tune his release so he could play and go to grad school at Pepperdine? Couple of years later, Fopma (a FAB 50 MB) wanted a release from Pepperdine so she could transfer to Hawaii, Pepperdine coaches didn't reciprocate. She ended up loosing a year and playing for Cal Northridge (?) a year later. If she had gotten her release, the Wahine would have been awesome that year (2001). Yes, the same year Kahumoku decided to sit out a year, MB Lima decided to go back to Brazil, and FAB 50 recruit Saleamua wasn't eligible to enter UH becuase of academics. She ended up at Nebraska, where she has been a starter the past two years. That 2001 Wahine team made it to the Sweet Sixteen (lost to UCLA). Hindsight, but, Fopma would have made the Wahine a better team. JMHO.