Scott Wong to be HC@Pepperdine in 2015

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
BigWave96744

Scott Wong to be HC@Pepperdine in 2015

Post by BigWave96744 »

Per Dave Shoji on the Bobby Curran show this morning

uhwarriors

Re: Scott Wong to be HC@Pepperdine in 2015

Post by uhwarriors »

Major loss for the Wahine program.
University of Hawaii women's volleyball associate coach and head sand coach Scott Wong has taken the head women's coaching job at Pepperdine.

The joint announcement was made Wednesday morning by the Hawaii and Pepperdine athletic departments. Wong, a 2001 Pepperdine graduate, has been the lead recruiter and coached technical aspects of the Rainbow Wahine since 2010.

"It was a tough decision," Wong told the Star-Advertiser Wednesday. "For years, it was my dream to come back home and coach (at Hawaii). I was able to coach indoor and start the sand program.
Rest of article: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =285380681

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

This hurts two programs. First the sand volleyball team lost their HC. And the indoor team not only lost their top assistant, but also who many considered the "heir apparent" to Shoji.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Have no fear, there will be a ton of applicants for Wong's position...definitely a few with nation-wide recruiting contacts, and years of D1 coaching experience.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

EITSwarrior wrote:This hurts two programs. First the sand volleyball team lost their HC. And the indoor team not only lost their top assistant, but also who many considered the "heir apparent" to Shoji.
:o where's Shoji going? I don't see him retiring anytime soon, and SWong is looking to move or upgrade his resume.....best of luck to him.
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

EITSwarrior wrote:This hurts two programs. First the sand volleyball team lost their HC. And the indoor team not only lost their top assistant, but also who many considered the "heir apparent" to Shoji.
IMO, he would not have been considered the #1 pick as heir apparent without having had any head coaching experience -- the same knock that there was on Charlie Wade and Mike Sealy, and probably the reason that each left to get that experience. When Shoji does retire, there could be three former assistants with head coaching experience throwing their hats in the ring. Although by that time, Robyn will have had more years of coaching experience, she'll still have the same shortcoming that Wade, Sealy and Wong all had before leaving to get that experience of running their own programs.