2016 - 2017 men's basketball team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

2016 - 2017 men's basketball team

Post by seasider »

2016 – 2017 Warrior basketball roster
03 Niko Filipovich, PG, 6-0/160 RsJr
04 Jack Purchase, SF, 6-9/215, RsSo
13 Jakob Cormelissen, G, 6-1/165, So (Walk-on)
21 Brock Stepteau, G, RsSo (Walk-on)
22 Sheriff Drammeh, 6-3/ PG, So, Igelstavikens Gymnasium, Sweden, Sweden’s Youth National Team
24 Zach Buscher, G, 6-3, RsSo (Walk-on)
00 Matthew Owies, PG, 6-0/180, Fr (Class of 2016)-NLI signed
00 Drew Buggs ,CG, 6-2/175, Fr (Class of 2016)-NLI signed, 3S scout

Depending on the result and timing of UH’s challenge to its NCAA Sanctions regarding the banning of the program’s participating in the 2017 NCAA Tournament, Hawaii stands to lose seniors to be in Stefan Jankovic, 6-8 Mike Thomas, 6-5 Aaron Valdes, and 6-10 Stefan Jovanovic.

Before his ankle injury, Isaac Fleming was an integral and necessary part of this team. He was the next guard coming off the bench for either Bobbitt, Smith, or Valdes. Lately, coach Ganot for some reason (unless you’re an insider, reasons we’ll never know), have deemed his freshman recruit (Drammeh) the better player/defender as the sixth man coming of the bench. No doubt, Drammeh have come in and surprised a lot of people, including yours truly, with his athleticism, defense, quickness and overall basketball IQ…the future looks bright for Sheriff. He definitely will be a KEY to future Warror’s success on the hardcourt.

But, Isaac Fleming at this point is the better player, the proven player. He has been, redundant, but an integral and necessary part of this Warrior machine this past two seasons…without him, more than a few games would’ve gone the other way, no ifs or buts.

Unless problems are solved as to his diminishing PT, don’t be surprise if Isaac Fleming transfers out to a D1 program closer to the east coast…he does have a red shirt year…so, he won’t be losing practice time, but a year to adjust to his new surroundings, team, and coaching philosophy. I have no doubt, he will come out a better basketball player and most of all a better person.

A year off to reflect can do wonders.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2016 - 2017 men's basketball team

Post by poidog »

I'm glad Fleming is transferring out. I'm excited for a team full of Ganot recruits and less volatile personalities. next year may be a rebuilding year but i'm excited for the new era.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote:I'm glad Fleming is transferring out. I'm excited for a team full of Ganot recruits and less volatile personalities. next year may be a rebuilding year but i'm excited for the new era.
Careful what you wish for. The Arnold era recruits may have had some trouble, but they were talented. Let's see what Ganot can do without Arnold's recruits before we crown Ganot.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote:
poidog wrote:I'm glad Fleming is transferring out. I'm excited for a team full of Ganot recruits and less volatile personalities. next year may be a rebuilding year but i'm excited for the new era.
Careful what you wish for. The Arnold era recruits may have had some trouble, but they were talented. Let's see what Ganot can do without Arnold's recruits before we crown Ganot.
I'm not worried. This season has been a nice surprise, but I've been wanting to root for a clean program with high-character players since Gib's first off-season where promising players like Bo Barnes transferred out. As talented as his team's were, Gib's teams would consistently underachieve in conference play. The fact that Ganot has been able to break that pattern speaks to me of his coaching ability, and I am encouraged. I will be very surprised if we aren't consistently at least over .500 under Ganot, even if we struggle with the NCAA sanctions next year. I mean, it's the Big West - how hard can it be?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

seasider wrote: Before his ankle injury, Isaac Fleming was an integral and necessary part of this team. He was the next guard coming off the bench for either Bobbitt, Smith, or Valdes. Lately, coach Ganot for some reason (unless you’re an insider, reasons we’ll never know), have deemed his freshman recruit (Drammeh) the better player/defender as the sixth man coming of the bench.
I don't think it was anything more than Drammeh just bringing something better to the table than Fleming and not wanting to mess with a good thing that sprouted from Fleming's unfortunate injury. Fleming is great when things are going good, but he does more harm than good when things are not going good. He has questionable shot selection and depends too much on trying to create turnovers on defense. His corner 3 against UCI had me hopeful that he would be a smarter player coming back from injury (and he might be) and be willing and able to play more within himself and let the game come to him (like Mike Thomas does), but it seems that he's really not interested in waiting for another opportunity to get back into the rotation (that might not come until next season unless someone else gets hurt or if Drammeh has a sudden regression, which is unlikely). There were too many moments in the beginning of conference play where Fleming would shoot us into bad situations or turn the ball over at inopportune times. Now that he's back, he would be a great asset against the packed-in zone defenses we've been seeing, but he won't take what the defense gives him. He tries too hard to beat zone defenders off the dribble and get to the basket, which is difficult when teams are packing it in and flooding the key (something the entire team does, actually, but it hurts Fleming more because of his limited opportunities since returning to the court). The corner 3 was great because it was in rhythm and without hesitation, but he hasn't done it often enough and has been pressing in effort to prove that he belongs back on the court. When you have Bobbit, Valdes, Jankovic, and Tummala as your primary shooters, there's less room for another streaky shooter like Fleming and more room for a defender/hustle guy like Drammeh in your lineup, at least thru the conference tournament. The sad thing about him leaving is that he tends to raise his game against better competition and could have been a difference maker in the NCAA or NIT tournament. I guess we'll never know now.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

poidog wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
I'm not worried. This season has been a nice surprise, but I've been wanting to root for a clean program with high-character players since Gib's first off-season where promising players like Bo Barnes transferred out. As talented as his team's were, Gib's teams would consistently underachieve in conference play. The fact that Ganot has been able to break that pattern speaks to me of his coaching ability, and I am encouraged. I will be very surprised if we aren't consistently at least over .500 under Ganot, even if we struggle with the NCAA sanctions next year. I mean, it's the Big West - how hard can it be?
Bo Barnes wasn't a complete ball player...he was just a designated shooter with Arizona State.

How can you be surprise with the result so far? This is a talented team...way more talent than the last few years of Wallace tenure and the 3 years under Nash.

LOL..your "it's the Big West - how hard can it be?" Well...if Ganot from next year on consistently have teams that only hover around .500 than we won't see another sell out under his tenure again. .500 winning % won't get you into any post season tournament.

Be thankful of the talent this team bring to the hardwood, and give a little "aloha" for a 24-4 record so far...LOL...its definitely not all coaching.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Next year's team will be an adventure. We'll see how Coach Ganot can recruit with a full year behind him.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

hilorain
Starter
Starter
MLB: Cincinnati Reds
NFL: Oakland Raiders

Post by hilorain »

I hope Fleming is in good academic standing. Would hate for our APR to be bad due to those that may leave.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

seasider wrote:
poidog wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
Bo Barnes wasn't a complete ball player...he was just a designated shooter with Arizona State.

How can you be surprise with the result so far? This is a talented team...way more talent than the last few years of Wallace tenure and the 3 years under Nash.

LOL..your "it's the Big West - how hard can it be?" Well...if Ganot from next year on consistently have teams that only hover around .500 than we won't see another sell out under his tenure again. .500 winning % won't get you into any post season tournament.

Be thankful of the talent this team bring to the hardwood, and give a little "aloha" for a 24-4 record so far...LOL...its definitely not all coaching.
The team with Fotu was pretty good, too, and what did they do in the conference? They underachieved because Gib was routinely outcoached by his conference peers. Every Gib team was pretty good (even if he struggled to recruit PG's and had to rely on one-year guys and a football player) but would finish the conference regular season in the middle of the pack because you can't freelance against teams that are better coached. If Gib were coaching this team, I bet they would STILL finish middle of the pack AND/OR lose in the first round of the conference tournament. No evidence from the past can prove me wrong.

I didn't say they would "hover around .500" - I said they would go AT LEAST .500, which is pretty good considering they might lose all of their starters to graduation or transfer next year and have to rebuild with less scholarships to offer. Her'es the Google search link for the definition of the phrase "at least" in case you need it:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... definition

And Bo Barnes? He was a true freshman who became a rotation guy and would have had 3 more years if he had stayed AND WOULD HAVE BEEN A SHOOTER ON A TEAM THAT NEEDED SHOOTERS BECAUSE EVERYONE ZONED US BECAUSE WE COULDN'T SHOOT. Oh, and interesting that you reference Arizona State, because isn't that were Sai Tummala played (or barely played) before coming here and becoming a major rotation guy for us? For a lot of players, it comes down to "fit". Judging Bo Barnes potential at UH by his time at ASU is as silly as judging Sai Tummala's potential at UH by his time at ASU. C'mon, man... come at me with something better.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

seasider wrote:.500 winning % won't get you into any post season tournament.
Not that it matters, but they got into the CIT (a post-season tournament) with 16 D1 wins and 15 losses in 2012... .516