Bobbitt not on the road trip

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Bobbitt not on the road trip

Post by Irse »

Premium content
http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/bo ... t-bobbitt/
Hawaii basketball point guard Roderick Bobbitt did not accompany the team on its flight to the mainland Tuesday, raising questions whether he will play in this week’s road games at UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton.

Sources inside the athletic department said the issue at hand is academic eligibility for the spring semester. If Bobbitt, a senior, is successful at making up coursework, it’s possible he could rejoin the team in California in time for one or both of the games on Thursday and Saturday.
Hope he makes the grade.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: Bobbitt not on the road trip

Post by uhwarriors »

Spring semester just started this week. Sounds like an incomplete from the fall semester.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

who starts if both bobbitt and valdes are out against riverside?
I'm thinking niko and issac, or isaac and drammeh. this year's team is about as deep as it has ever been, with 1 through 8 already having double digit games but it's going to be a battle without the 1 and 3 scorers plus being on the road.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

No Bobbitt and No Valdes= No Win

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

ubercow wrote:who starts if both bobbitt and valdes are out against riverside?
I'm thinking niko and issac, or isaac and drammeh. this year's team is about as deep as it has ever been, with 1 through 8 already having double digit games but it's going to be a battle without the 1 and 3 scorers plus being on the road.
Isaac/Q/Sai, most likely.
NelsonO wrote:No Bobbitt and No Valdes= No Win
we dont know that yet.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

NelsonO wrote:No Bobbitt and No Valdes= No Win
Image I find your lack of faith disturbing.. :D

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

caboman70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by caboman70 »

on the plane right now

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by NelsonO »

I'm happy that Bobbitt played against Riverside as he is the key guy on the court. But I find it interesting that one day he has an academic problem, then the next day everything is okay.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

NelsonO wrote:I'm happy that Bobbitt played against Riverside as he is the key guy on the court. But I find it interesting that one day he has an academic problem, then the next day everything is okay.
it was probably less "academic problem", and more of a missing assignment that led to an incomplete from last semester, like Davis had that one time.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by NelsonO »

Should not somebody like an academic advisor, academic counselor, or even an assistant coach monitor incompletes from last semester. Does anybody in the athletic department check on the academic progress of a student-athlete on a timely basis.

Does a regular (non-athlete) student get an opportunity to make good on an incomplete class.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

NelsonO wrote:Should not somebody like an academic advisor, academic counselor, or even an assistant coach monitor incompletes from last semester. Does anybody in the athletic department check on the academic progress of a student-athlete on a timely basis.

Does a regular (non-athlete) student get an opportunity to make good on an incomplete class.
The most plausible explanation I've heard in the Bobbitt situation is that he completed the course work over the break but his professor was out town until just before the 2nd semester started. Once Bobbitt could turn in what ever he needed to, it got processed quickly. That would explain how fast Bobbitt was cleared.

Regarding the first question, there is a staff of academic advisors in the athletic department. They are all over the academic performance or lack thereof of each student athlete. I'm not sure about all sports but I do know that football assigns a coach or coaches as well as other staff members to monitor academics. The old idiom still applies: "you can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink".

Regarding completion of incompletes, at least when I was at UH any student could make up an incomplete. There was a time limit but I don't recall exactly how long it was.