when did taylor

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider

when did taylor

Post by whirlygig5 »

Become such a bad choice??? All season long last year i heard everyone saying what a great job Benji Taylor was doing with this team, heard it from everyone here everyone on espn and all over the sports world. l thought he did an amazing job taking UH one game away from making the Dance in his first year. Now i hear everyone saying he was a fools choice to coach UH next year. Am i missing something, hope this new assistant from St Mary's does a good job, but it almost feel like UH taking backwards

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: when did taylor

Post by EITSwarrior »

whirlygig5 wrote:Become such a bad choice??? All season long last year i heard everyone saying what a great job Benji Taylor was doing with this team, heard it from everyone here everyone on espn and all over the sports world. l thought he did an amazing job taking UH one game away from making the Dance in his first year. Now i hear everyone saying he was a fools choice to coach UH next year. Am i missing something, hope this new assistant from St Mary's does a good job, but it almost feel like UH taking backwards
All I can figure is that UH leaders wanted all links to Gib Arnold out.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

guess that makes a little sense thanx

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

From a fan's perspective but one who is outside the "coconut wireless", and reading the forums so take all of this with a grain of salt because it is 3rd, 4th, and 5th hand information - Taylor was a deadbeat dad who didn't pay child support; didn't pay his rent and got kicked out of at least one residence for not paying rent; could not control his players off the court; and was not well-liked in the athletic department offices. Or so at least I heard and read. Again, take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure that there are people out there who are closer to the situation and can say a lot more on the subject, if they choose to do so.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

thanx my3cats, guess there more to a coach then just wins an losses and we don't see in the public eye

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:From a fan's perspective but one who is outside the "coconut wireless", and reading the forums so take all of this with a grain of salt because it is 3rd, 4th, and 5th hand information - Taylor was a deadbeat dad who didn't pay child support; didn't pay his rent and got kicked out of at least one residence for not paying rent; could not control his players off the court; and was not well-liked in the athletic department offices. Or so at least I heard and read. Again, take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure that there are people out there who are closer to the situation and can say a lot more on the subject, if they choose to do so.
Same here, only from what I've read on message boards. Off court issues with players - pakalolo in hotel rooms, players not attending classes and quitting school (NWC).
I am the one who knocks.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

808Hawaii wrote:
My3Cats wrote:From a fan's perspective but one who is outside the "coconut wireless", and reading the forums so take all of this with a grain of salt because it is 3rd, 4th, and 5th hand information - Taylor was a deadbeat dad who didn't pay child support; didn't pay his rent and got kicked out of at least one residence for not paying rent; could not control his players off the court; and was not well-liked in the athletic department offices. Or so at least I heard and read. Again, take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure that there are people out there who are closer to the situation and can say a lot more on the subject, if they choose to do so.
Same here, only from what I've read on message boards. Off court issues with players - pakalolo in hotel rooms, players not attending classes and quitting school (NWC).
Someone also posted that he'd pocket player travel per diems. I seem to recall the recent UH suit against Gib indicating that the unpaid Las Vegas hotel bill was in Benjy's name, and Gib claims that he (Gib) paid the bill. Paid who? That part is not clear, and Gib's media response stated something to the effect of "if I or my assistants did not pay. . . ." Easy to make some speculative leaps from these hypothetical facts.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Duster wrote:Someone also posted that he'd pocket player travel per diems. I seem to recall the recent UH suit against Gib indicating that the unpaid Las Vegas hotel bill was in Benjy's name, and Gib claims that he (Gib) paid the bill. Paid who? That part is not clear, and Gib's media response stated something to the effect of "if I or my assistants did not pay. . . ." Easy to make some speculative leaps from these hypothetical facts.
That's what I heard as well, from a credible source on campus. I've heard a lot of bad things from a lot of different people with different ties to the university over the course of the Gib/Benjy era. That's why it makes me so mad to see Gib try to cause as much damage as possible during his exit. There were people (like Riley Wallace) who were extremely upset when Gib was hired and I guess we now know why. Even without insider knowledge or hearing of rumors, there was enough on-court smoke to know that there was a fire burning behind the scenes.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Duster wrote:Someone also posted that he'd pocket player travel per diems. I seem to recall the recent UH suit against Gib indicating that the unpaid Las Vegas hotel bill was in Benjy's name, and Gib claims that he (Gib) paid the bill. Paid who? That part is not clear, and Gib's media response stated something to the effect of "if I or my assistants did not pay. . . ." Easy to make some speculative leaps from these hypothetical facts.
That's what I heard as well, from a credible source on campus. I've heard a lot of bad things from a lot of different people with different ties to the university over the course of the Gib/Benjy era. That's why it makes me so mad to see Gib try to cause as much damage as possible during his exit. There were people (like Riley Wallace) who were extremely upset when Gib was hired and I guess we now know why. Even without insider knowledge or hearing of rumors, there was enough on-court smoke to know that there was a fire burning behind the scenes.
That's hard to believe that Taylor would actually stoop down that low to steal the player's per diem money. If it was true, seems like something easy to prove.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

June 16th interview with Benjy. Host Paul Jackson speaks with former Rainbow Warriors Men's Basketball coach Benjy Taylor about his departure after a second 20-win season and his perspectives on the future of the team.

Link

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

808Hawaii wrote:
poidog wrote:
That's hard to believe that Taylor would actually stoop down that low to steal the player's per diem money. If it was true, seems like something easy to prove.
:o So with that said....is it any wonder why UH went in a different direction than what the public wanted? :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Until any of those rumors are proven true, I won't believe them. Rumors like that, literally, get people fired

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

EITSwarrior wrote:Until any of those rumors are proven true, I won't believe them. Rumors like that, literally, get people fired
:D Point WELL TAKEN! :lol: Arnold and Benji are GONE...SEE yAH...wouldn't want to BE yea! :- :roll:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden