University of Hawaii sues former basketball coach Arnold

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

University of Hawaii sues former basketball coach Arnold

Post by Scott »

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: University of Hawaii sues former basketball coach Arnold

Post by 808Hawaii »

UH not liking the way arbitration was going so they panicked and attempted to move the proceedings to a legal court system. But watch the court throw out the case.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

808Hawaii wrote:UH not liking the way arbitration was going so they panicked and attempted to move the proceedings to a legal court system. But watch the court throw out the case.
Throw out or be put on hold post arbitration... either way, makes UH look weak.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Typical UH, spend money to lose money.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

So, the legal department screws it up, UH will likely dole out the dough, but the question remains, does the payout eventually end up as a deficit to the Athletic Department, too?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Way to screw up your situation even more UH! I can see the court throwing out the lawsuit, then UH losing the arbitration. Or UH losing the arbitration then the court throwing out the case. Same same. UH made a big time mistake with Arnold's contract - witness the UH legal counsel resigning right after the contract dispute was brought to light.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

akuhead2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akuhead2 »

Thanks for posting.
Who was the legal counsel that resigned ??

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

akuhead2 wrote:Thanks for posting.
Who was the legal counsel that resigned ??
Mea culpa. I should have said, "allegedly" regarding the resignation. You have to read between the lines. Darolyn Lendio worked for McCorriston before the UH job.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 18, 2015

Former men’s basketball coach Gib Arnold has filed a grievance against the University of Hawaii, claiming a violation of his employment agreement, the school said Thursday.

Athletic director Ben Jay said notice of the grievance, dated Feb. 3, has been forwarded to UH attorneys for review.

UH coaches are represented by the HGEA.

An attorney for Arnold referred questions about the grievance to UH.

William McCorriston, outside counsel for the school, said the contention is UH violated section 8 of the contract, the portion dealing with termination by the university.

Arnold claimed in a statement Tuesday that he was owed $1.4 million by the university, not just the balance of his $344,000 base salary from the 2014-15 season that UH said he was due Jan. 26.

McCorriston said, “everybody is focusing on section 8, but the contract has to be read as a whole and there are many different provisions and the provision which is paramount in this contract is paragraphs “a,” “b” and “c,” which require Coach Arnold to comply with the laws of the NCAA and its regulations and protocols.”

McCorriston added, “if the notice of allegations received from the NCAA is correct, in whole or in part, it would be a violation of the contract. That provision — and the breach of it — would have to be considered along with any obligations, which may or may not exist, in section 8.”

McCorriston contends, “if the NCAA allegations are at all correct, the University of Hawaii will suffer a large magnitude of damages, including all the fees in investigating and defending the university against the (NCAA) allegations, including any punishment or penalties the NCAA may impose on the athletic department, including damage to its reputation.”

McCorriston also explained the June departure of Darolyn Lendio, university’s general counsel “has nothing to do with this controversy.”

“She had given her notice before this became an issue.”

http://thesportdigest.com/2015/02/ex-co ... -him-1-4m/
http://www.athleticbusiness.com/more-ne ... 4m-br.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Jul 20, 2006

HONOLULU — At its monthly meeting held today at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, the UH Board of Regents approved the appointment of Darolyn Lendio as Vice President for Legal Affairs and University General Counsel. Her three-year appointment is effective September 1.

Lendio, who has over 20 years of trial and appellate litigation experience in both the private and public sectors, is currently a partner in the law firm of McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon, LLP. She has also been an associate with the law firm of Goodsill, Anderson, Quinn & Stifle, and served as an extern to former Associate Supreme Court Justice Yoshimi Hayashi.

In 1994, Lendio was appointed director of the Department of the Corporation Counsel for the City and County of Honolulu. As director, she managed a staff of 84 employees, including 36 attorneys, and spearheaded the defense of large litigation cases involving eminent domain and land use, environmental issues, construction, geological liability, municipal contracts, liquor laws, employment and personnel laws, and civil rights.

Lendio graduated from Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California and has been admitted to practice law in Hawaiʻi, the U.S. District Court, District of Hawaiʻi, and the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. Her past honors include selection as the Outstanding City Administrator by the American Society of Public Administration, Hawaiʻi Chapter, and inclusion in "Best Lawyers in America" (2005). She has served on the Judicial Conduct Commission, Honolulu Police Commission, the Honolulu Board of Water Supply, and the Honolulu Charter Commission.

Lendio replaces former Vice President for Legal Affairs and University General Counsel Walter Kirimitsu who is now president of Saint Louis School.

http://www.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=1494
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

EITSwarrior wrote:Typical UH, spend money to lose money.
:lol: Quote of the year for UH Manoa! Does it really matter? Athletics, Med school, under grad, Post grad, etc.....do we really expect a SHORT term financial gain from UH as a state entity? Is it the Tourism does so well why can't we thinking?

Last time I check, the state doesn't own or run Hotels....we OWN UH....and hows that working for us? :x
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden