NCAA alleges serious violations by UH men's basketball

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: NCAA alleges serious violations by UH men's basketball

Post by UnBiasFan »

managerr wrote: .... No one would really care if they were up front about it. Slap on the wrist, Fotu would have to pay back the cost of the IPad and Gib gets sent to some compliance class and that's it.
When I read the report, I get the impression that they examine every inch of your program like they are the FBI searching for the Unabomber. Every minute and everything done for the past five years is examined to find anything the least bit out of place.

This is all done to protect the sanctity of a multi-billion dollar industry that really could not give a craap about anything but making as much money as possible for those in control. There is no aloha here. They will burn you down and spit you out. Like I said before, the hypocrisy of NCAA sports makes me want to vomit.
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote:so... did the NCAA do us a favor by waiting so long to issue the letter? Does this mean that if we get our act together that we won't lose post-season eligibility until next season? or is it in our best interests to self-penalize right now and volunteer to forfeit this season's postseason (betting that we won't win the BWC tourney). Any thoughts?
Interesting thought. Appropriate self-penalizing seems to work well in these kinds of situations. My guess is the these are actually negotiated and mutually agreed upon by the school and NCAA. That's where the Alabama law firm's expertise is invaluable. Time is very short to decide whether to self-penalize for this season. If we're going to do it, we should do it immediately when the outcome of the season is clearly up in the air. Otherwise it won't look like an appropriate penalty.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

uhwarriors wrote:
poidog wrote:so... did the NCAA do us a favor by waiting so long to issue the letter? Does this mean that if we get our act together that we won't lose post-season eligibility until next season? or is it in our best interests to self-penalize right now and volunteer to forfeit this season's postseason (betting that we won't win the BWC tourney). Any thoughts?
Interesting thought. Appropriate self-penalizing seems to work well in these kinds of situations. My guess is the these are actually negotiated and mutually agreed upon by the school and NCAA. That's where the Alabama law firm's expertise is invaluable. Time is very short to decide whether to self-penalize for this season. If we're going to do it, we should do it immediately when the outcome of the season is clearly up in the air. Otherwise it won't look like an appropriate penalty.
They already terminated the main people involved in this "scandal" At this point, they need the lawyers to help them fill out the response form and explain all the steps they are taking to strengthen internal controls. Let's not forget that we are talking about institution that wired money to somebody who promised to get them Stevie Wonder.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote:
I agree. Most of us felt that this season was kind of a lost cause anyway, so a postseason ban this year would not have stung too much... but then the team went and beat some good teams in non-conference play and got us all excited. If i had to guess, though, they are gonna want us to sit out the postseason both this and next year. that would be harsh, but it is better than losing scholarships.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Since Fotu and Reyes left the program, they are down two scholarships. UH could self-impose sanctions of one or two less scholarships for one year or two (retroactive to December 2014?) and keep the core of the team intact. They would still be able to bring in one signee for G. Nevels' scholarship to join the program. Just a thought.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Hawaii News Now reporting UH considering self-imposed sanctions:
Hawaii News Now wrote:HNN has been told that any self-imposed sanctions would address those specific violations-- things like a possible reduction in practice time, a reduction in recruiting benefits and the possibility of trimming the team's scholarship allotment........HNN has also learned the school hasn't ruled out vacating its wins when illegible players were on the court.
More: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2800 ... violations

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

The whole self-impose sanction scheme can get out of hand ... this idea that you got to own up to every mistake you have ever made to the bureaucratic police can be a bit too much ........ self incrimination is not what we are suppose to stand for .... sure, we can own up to what we we think we did wrong .... but when we get far beyond that to a wholesale cleansing of every slight misstep we took ...well, we might want to make them prove some things without our help ....

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote:The whole self-impose sanction scheme can get out of hand ... this idea that you got to own up to every mistake you have ever made to the bureaucratic police can be a bit too much ........ self incrimination is not what we are suppose to stand for .... sure, we can own up to what we we think we did wrong .... but when we get far beyond that to a wholesale cleansing of every slight misstep we took ...well, we might want to make them prove some things without our help ....
right...

I know I shouldn't indulge you with a response but I will anyway...

1. It is not self-incrimination if the investigation is already complete and the charges have already been made.
2. This is not a court of law. the NCAA doesn't have to "prove" anything further than what their investigation has found. Collegiate athletics is their realm and if we want to be a part of it, we have to play by their rules and live with their rulings.
3. No one is owning up to "every mistake you have ever made" - the self-sanctions are in response to the seven violations cited by the NCAA investigation and nothing more.
4. Self-sanctioning is to prove to the NCAA that we take their rules seriously and that the NCAA can trust us to follow those rules going forward without their constant oversight. Proving that we have learned from the process will keep the NCAA from meting out a more severe punishment to make sure we don't ever do it again.

probably wasted effort on my part, being that your posts rarely make any sense.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Self-imposed penalties allows the school to define its penalties rather than letting the NCAA impose the penalties. Of course the NCAA must approve the self-imposed penalties but if the school is being proactive and offers up reasonable penalties the NCAA should approve.

Neither the school or the NCAA want to go through the entire sanctioning process. It's a waste of time and resources. Getting self-imposing penalties approved is like negotiating a settlement in a lawsuit. Neither party gets everything they want but they get some and the conflict ends.

So what would hurt the school the most? Future tournament bans and loss of scholarships. So offer up reasonable penalties and program improvements which link to the violations. For example, forfeit wins, reduce practice time, increase compliance education and monitoring. Give up things that hurt a little but don't kill the program in the future.

BTW, I updated the link to the Hawaii News Now story on self-imposed penalties being considered on my previous post. Here it is: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2800 ... violations

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

uhwarriors wrote:Self-imposed penalties allows the school to define its penalties rather than letting the NCAA impose the penalties. Of course the NCAA must approve the self-imposed penalties but if the school is being proactive and offers up reasonable penalties the NCAA should approve.

Neither the school or the NCAA want to go through the entire sanctioning process. It's a waste of time and resources. Getting self-imposing penalties approved is like negotiating a settlement in a lawsuit. Neither party gets everything they want but they get some and the conflict ends.

So what would hurt the school the most? Future tournament bans and loss of scholarships. So offer up reasonable penalties and program improvements which link to the violations. For example, forfeit wins, reduce practice time, increase compliance education and monitoring. Give up things that hurt a little but don't kill the program in the future.

BTW, I updated the link to the Hawaii News Now story on self-imposed penalties being considered on my previous post. Here it is: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2800 ... violations
:read: So with that said.....did the NCAA acknowledge the firing of Gibb and Akana,yet? :-?
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: ... probably wasted effort on my part, being that your posts rarely make any sense.
I read the reply ...

".....The actual Allegation is that rather than paying 100's of dollars to take 3 recruits and a mother to breakfast we took them to a free continental breakfast in their hotel concierge lounge consisting of scrambled eggs, corn flakes, and guava juice. By trying to save money on a limited budget we unknowingly broke an NCAA rule by eating in the concierge lounge."

At this point, I refuse to be bullied into to taking the side of the NCAA. You can love them all you want. But don't count me in. They have no authority to dictate to the general public.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

UnBiasFan wrote:
poidog wrote: ... probably wasted effort on my part, being that your posts rarely make any sense.
I read the reply ...

".....The actual Allegation is that rather than paying 100's of dollars to take 3 recruits and a mother to breakfast we took them to a free continental breakfast in their hotel concierge lounge consisting of scrambled eggs, corn flakes, and guava juice. By trying to save money on a limited budget we unknowingly broke an NCAA rule by eating in the concierge lounge."

At this point, I refuse to be bullied into to taking the side of the NCAA. You can love them all you want. But don't count me in. They have no authority to dictate to the general public.
Which was the minor Level 2 violation. The rule is insipid and he broke it. Still not a big deal to anyone. If all they found was a few Level 2's, Gib would still have a job and the program would get a slap on the wrist. That particular example is a Straw Man, no one cares about a small benefit that a recruit may or may not have received.

It's the Level 1 violations--lying to the NCAA and fostering an environment of non-compliance which needs to be addressed.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
uhwarriors wrote:Self-imposed penalties allows the school to define its penalties rather than letting the NCAA impose the penalties. Of course the NCAA must approve the self-imposed penalties but if the school is being proactive and offers up reasonable penalties the NCAA should approve.

:read: So with that said.....did the NCAA acknowledge the firing of Gibb and Akana,yet? :-?
Yes, in the "Mitigating Factors" section on page 36.
NCAA Notice of Allegations wrote:The institution promptly acknowledged and accepted responsibility for the violations alleged in this case and imposed meaningful corrective measures and/or penalties. Specifically, the institution (1) terminated the employment of Brandyn Akana (Akana), then assistant men's basketball coach, and Gib Arnold (Arnold), then head men's basketball coach, on October 29, 2014, due to their involvement in the violations alleged in this case;....
http://www.hawaii.edu/news/wp-content/u ... ed_NOA.pdf

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

Syracuse banning themselves from post-season this year for violations they self-reported in 2007...

Condor4542
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Condor4542 »

managerr wrote:Syracuse banning themselves from post-season this year for violations they self-reported in 2007...
I'd SU is the exception to the rule.