NCAA alleges serious violations by UH men's basketball

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
uhwarriors

NCAA alleges serious violations by UH men's basketball

Post by uhwarriors »

The indictment is in:
Star-Advertiser wrote:In a "Notice of Allegations" delivered to the University of Hawaii Friday, the NCAA is charging the men's basketball program with multiple Level I and II violations, the most severe of four categories, people involved told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
Article continues:
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =290400891

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: NCAA alleges serious violations by UH men's basketball

Post by UnBiasFan »

AaaaaaaaaaaaaND? What?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

so... did the NCAA do us a favor by waiting so long to issue the letter? Does this mean that if we get our act together that we won't lose post-season eligibility until next season? or is it in our best interests to self-penalize right now and volunteer to forfeit this season's postseason (betting that we won't win the BWC tourney). Any thoughts?

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

With the way this team plays in conference they don't deserve any post season.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

poidog wrote:so... did the NCAA do us a favor by waiting so long to issue the letter? Does this mean that if we get our act together that we won't lose post-season eligibility until next season? or is it in our best interests to self-penalize right now and volunteer to forfeit this season's postseason (betting that we won't win the BWC tourney). Any thoughts?
:o Gibb and Akana firing...does this affect our "punishment".....does our punishment "FIT" the error that was made? Do we proceed to agree with the findings, but FIGHT LIKE HELL on unnecessary penalties like the NCAA always does.....FIGHT we MUST!

I'm sick of those NCAA gobsuckers that are mighty against "small" schools but the BIG time programs they heed to.... :evil:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Detailed information about the NCAA Allegations can be found here:

http://go.hawaii.edu/FJ

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

This is not something I ever wanted to be right about. Gib was always a scum bag. Always. Used car salesman. There were red flags when UH hired him in the first place. I never understood why so many fans drank his koolaid. I hope UH can work around this. What a total sham the NCAA is...the punishment should go to Gib. Can't coach college ball for X amount of years. But nooo.....punish the fans/players who did nothing. Stupid.

Screw you Gib. I knew you were a bad hire from the moment it went down. Maybe I should be the next AD lol.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

J-Rod wrote:This is not something I ever wanted to be right about. Gib was always a scum bag. Always. Used car salesman. There were red flags when UH hired him in the first place. I never understood why so many fans drank his koolaid. I hope UH can work around this. What a total sham the NCAA is...the punishment should go to Gib. Can't coach college ball for X amount of years. But nooo.....punish the fans/players who did nothing. Stupid.

Screw you Gib. I knew you were a bad hire from the moment it went down. Maybe I should be the next AD lol.
NCAA sports make we want to vomit. It is all about perpetuating this mega industry where the athletes get next to nothing unless they break through to the next level. For christ sakes, who cares if they drive someone's porsche or they get an Ipad?

Total bullcrap rules for those in power. Time to pay the athletes already just like in the rest of the real world. That is the american way. You have talent then you get compensated.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

My take on these NCAA violations and if I'm wrong tell me, is Ben Jay and Gib Arnold seems to have a disconnect somewhere in their relationship since the obstructing the NCAA investigation by Gib Arnold seems like he was doing damage control since someone decided to self report the Brandyn Akana altered document which I would think was Ben Jay since he is the head of the Athletic Department. Damage control would be obstructing NCAA investigations since now Arnold's scrambling to make sure everything is in order after you learn the NCAA is coming to investigate. I just think Ben Jay should have consulted with Arnold and asked do we have a "clean" basketball program - maybe he did however just looking at this from the outside it doesn't seem like he did. Then if Arnold stated we could get cited for this and this, then if I were Ben Jay I would tell Gib, Gib you have to stop doing these things and I would like this cleaned up from tomorrow or give Arnold a deadline. And learning this, I wouldn't self report anything for now until we clean this up. I just think they weren't communicating with each other or on the same page since this altered document opened up a whole bunch of can of worms. What is you folks take on this whole thing? The sad part is other schools do worst but don't get caught like we do - we must be the laughing stock of NCAA Athletics since remember that University of Miami booster they did all kinds of things wrong however I didn't hear of Miami getting any NCAA violations-I could be wrong however I haven't heard anything. And GOD knows what goes on at other schools but they don't get caught...

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

quikfeat wrote:My take on these NCAA violations and if I'm wrong tell me, is Ben Jay and Gib Arnold seems to have a disconnect somewhere in their relationship since the obstructing the NCAA investigation by Gib Arnold seems like he was doing damage control since someone decided to self report the Brandyn Akana altered document which I would think was Ben Jay since he is the head of the Athletic Department. Damage control would be obstructing NCAA investigations since now Arnold's scrambling to make sure everything is in order after you learn the NCAA is coming to investigate. I just think Ben Jay should have consulted with Arnold and asked do we have a "clean" basketball program - maybe he did however just looking at this from the outside it doesn't seem like he did. Then if Arnold stated we could get cited for this and this, then if I were Ben Jay I would tell Gib, Gib you have to stop doing these things and I would like this cleaned up from tomorrow or give Arnold a deadline. And learning this, I wouldn't self report anything for now until we clean this up. I just think they weren't communicating with each other or on the same page since this altered document opened up a whole bunch of can of worms. What is you folks take on this whole thing? The sad part is other schools do worst but don't get caught like we do - we must be the laughing stock of NCAA Athletics since remember that University of Miami booster they did all kinds of things wrong however I didn't hear of Miami getting any NCAA violations-I could be wrong however I haven't heard anything. And GOD knows what goes on at other schools but they don't get caught...
the version I heard was that Jay and Gib were both on the same page on this, and that it was not their wish to self-report the altered document. I think that's why they tried to get by with suspending Akana privately without announcing the suspension. If you were following last season, Akana disappeared from the bench and Gib's explanation was that he was "recruiting on the mainland" and then only when he was gone for an extended period of time did they admit that he was suspended for some unspecified action. The truth is that this was the "last straw" in a long line of shady actions by Gib and his staff, and some people were just tired of it and someone finally spoke up.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote:
J-Rod wrote:This is not something I ever wanted to be right about. Gib was always a scum bag. Always. Used car salesman. There were red flags when UH hired him in the first place. I never understood why so many fans drank his koolaid. I hope UH can work around this. What a total sham the NCAA is...the punishment should go to Gib. Can't coach college ball for X amount of years. But nooo.....punish the fans/players who did nothing. Stupid.

NCAA sports make we want to vomit. It is all about perpetuating this mega industry where the athletes get next to nothing unless they break through to the next level. For christ sakes, who cares if they drive someone's porsche or they get an Ipad?

Total bullcrap rules for those in power. Time to pay the athletes already just like in the rest of the real world. That is the american way. You have talent then you get compensated.
this has nothing to do with the iPad. The only reason that violation got cited is because it is something the NCAA investigators uncovered during their investigation, which was spurred by the altered document and other things. This situation has nothing to do with extra benefits and everything to do with irresponsible running of the Men's Basketball program. Don't give Gib a free pass on this.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

All this cheating and lying and no NCAA appearances????
This just shows how bad of a Coach Gib was.
I'm sorry but Taylor got to go too. There is no way he didn't know any of this was going on. Time to clean house.
Let's Go Bows

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

noasark2x2 wrote:All this cheating and lying and no NCAA appearances????
This just shows how bad of a Coach Gib was.
I'm sorry but Taylor got to go too. There is no way he didn't know any of this was going on. Time to clean house.
thats the thing. its barely cheating, its merely disobeying rules for dumb reasons. we literally broke the rules in about 20 different ways that would barely give us an edge outside fo the recruiting violations.

its less than cheating. its pure dumbassery.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

A few points:

- If you go to the NCAA website, schools (big and small) get hammered for smaller violations like we committed all the time. (Both self reported and non-self reported) We just don't hear anything about it because they are so small.
- Our Level 1 violations pretty much have to do with the coaches lying about and covering everything. If they were cooperative and told the truth, we get a slap on the wrist and everyone still has a job and we would be having a better season.
No NIT appearances either. Or conference titles, or good tournament performances.
For christ sakes, who cares if they drive someone's porsche or they get an Ipad?
No one would really care if they were up front about it. Slap on the wrist, Fotu would have to pay back the cost of the IPad and Gib gets sent to some compliance class and that's it.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

managerr wrote:A few points:

- If you go to the NCAA website, schools (big and small) get hammered for smaller violations like we committed all the time. (Both self reported and non-self reported) We just don't hear anything about it because they are so small.
- Our Level 1 violations pretty much have to do with the coaches lying about and covering everything. If they were cooperative and told the truth, we get a slap on the wrist and everyone still has a job and we would be having a better season.
No NIT appearances either. Or conference titles, or good tournament performances.
For christ sakes, who cares if they drive someone's porsche or they get an Ipad?
No one would really care if they were up front about it. Slap on the wrist, Fotu would have to pay back the cost of the IPad and Gib gets sent to some compliance class and that's it.
Yup, it was the cover up the compounded the initial violations many times over.