UH basketball team comes back to beat Bakersfield

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Breaking news by the StarAdvertiser

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =282850041

By Brian McInnis

The Hawaii men's basketball team couldn't buy a free throw all night -- except when it mattered most.

The Rainbow Warriors improved to 2-0 under acting head coach Benjy Taylor by converting 12 of their last 13 foul shots of the game -- including 9-for-9 by point guard Roderick Bobbitt -- in a 72-65 win over Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday night at the Stan Sheriff Center.
Bobbitt scored 16, dished seven assists and had three steals. Negus Webster-Chan added 15 points on 5-for-10 shooting and guard Garrett Nevels added 12. Center Stefan Jovanovic scored 10 points
off the bench.

A crowd of 3,970 was on hand for a back-and-forth affair on Day 2 of the Outrigger Resorts Rainbow Classic.

UH's primary challenge was getting around Bakersfield's 6-foot-9, 270-pound center Aly Ahmed. Ahmed scored 18 on 8-for-15 shooting.

A 15-0 run got UH from 44-35 down to 50-44 up. But when Jovanovic went out with his fourth foul with 10:47 to play, Ahmed went back to work and the Roadrunners went on a 7-2 spurt.
The teams alternated leads until Bobbitt converted a three-point play for a 61-57 lead with 3:35 remaining.

UH center Stefan Jovanovic stepped out for a 16-footer and a six-point lead, but Javonte Maynor came right back with a 3 with 1:11 to go.
Sophomore forward Aaron Valdes, who had a career-best 28 points on 11-for-15 shooting in Friday's season-opening win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff, was held to six points. He picked up three fouls in the first half.

The Rainbow Warriors shot 22-for-36 on free throws for the game, compared to 10-for-11 for the Bakersfield Roadrunners of the Western Athletic Conference.
UH shot just 3-for-10 at the free-throw line in the first half, compared to 7-for-7 for Bakersfield, and trailed 34-28 at the break. Ahmed had 10 points and four rebounds in the period.

Freshman forward Sammis Reyes dressed to play, unlike Friday's game, after rejoining the team on Thursday. But the 6-foot-6 Chilean did not see action.

UH completes play in the Rainbow Classic in the annual ESPN College Hoops Tip-off Marathon midnight game at 11:59 p.m. Monday against High Point (2-0). The game will be televised on ESPN2.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH basketball team comes back to beat Bakersfield

Post by My3Cats »

Great game Warriors! No quit in this team.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

My3Cats wrote:Great game Warriors! No quit in this team.
+1 \:D/ ...Howeva, Roderick Bobbit was da MAN! Perfect on the free throw linw, and he wanted to control the ball down the stretch.....nice win! :wink:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Does anyone else think that Jeff Portnoy (color guy on radio) want the Bows to lose? He seems so critical about every little thing... poor foul shooting (true, but don't need to mentioned it every 5 minutes), light sabers, missed alley opps, on and on....

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

you should listen to their hoops show on Wed nights. it's bad. sure we're not the greatest team like his beloved Duke. And Jackson is always negative too.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

chawan_cut wrote:you should listen to their hoops show on Wed nights. it's bad. sure we're not the greatest team like his beloved Duke. And Jackson is always negative too.
:o Isn't that ladies night somewhere in downtown, Amigo? [-X You know Artie wilson is the ONLY Hoops show to listen too.... :wink: \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden