Outrigger Rainbow Classis - 50th Year

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Outrigger Rainbow Classis - 50th Year

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Men's Basketball kicks off their season tomorrow night. They play Arkanasas Pine Bluff (SWAC), CSU Bakersfield (WAC) and High Point (Big South). High Point made it to the NIT last year. The High Point game is at 11:55 p.m. on monday night and will be televised on the Deuce (ESPN2). The Pine Bluff game is Tattoo night. The UH student with the best tattoo (permanent or temporary) will win a prize.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Outrigger Rainbow Classis - 50th Year

Post by 808Hawaii »

They're calling this the Rainbow Classic? I like to remember Classics like UNC, KU and Michigan.
I am the one who knocks.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Both bows and wahine win! Nice to see the team finish that 2nd half. I like what I see so far, looking forward to this season!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Bows win again! 2-0 chee pono!

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

[quote="808Hawaii"]They're calling this the Rainbow Classic? I like to remember Classics like UNC, KU and Michigan.[/quote]

Since the NCAA started allowing more early season "pre-conference" tournaments, it was the death of the old Rainbow Classic (8 team format). Back in the day, they only had the Rainbow and the Great Alaska Shootout and with the limit on the number of games and travel, "big name" schools had to pick and choose. If I remember correctly they were only allowed to play in these types of tournaments every 4 years?

The Rainbow didn't have a national TV contract, so once the EA Maui Invitational started it eroded the Rainbow. No disrepect, but teams rather take their chances against Chaminade on national TV than UH-Manoa....