Fotu's statement - reading between the lines...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Fotu's statement - reading between the lines...

Post by poidog »

here is Isaac Fotu's statement, in entirety:
"After much thought and discussions with my family, I have decided to forgo my last 2 years at UH, and pursue a professional basketball career.

"This was not an easy decision. I came to Hawaii to play for coach Gib and coach Akana, both were instrumental in me growing as both a person and basketball player. I believe this was going to (be the) best season yet.

"I've turned down opportunities to (turn) pro every summer because returning to Hawaii was an easy decision, but now, with the program headed in a different direction, I believe it's time to chase the professional basketball dream, and hopefully help support my family.

"In regards to my ineligibility announced last week, which by the way had no bearing on my decision, I have hired an attorney to help clear my name, if and / or when any accusations are released by the NCAA.

"I thank all my teammates (brothers) at UH, and mostly the fans of Rainbow Warrior basketball. The people of Hawaii have welcomed me since the day I arrived, and all that aloha made my stay enjoyable. I enjoyed every minute I got to represent the University of Hawaii and I will look back at many wonderful memories.

"Aloha 'oe, until we meet again!"

Isaac Fotu

Let's break it down a little bit...
I came to Hawaii to play for coach Gib and coach Akana, both were instrumental in me growing as both a person and basketball player.
I take this as "I am not interested in playing for coach Taylor".
In regards to my ineligibility announced last week, which by the way had no bearing on my decision, I have hired an attorney to help clear my name, if and / or when any accusations are released by the NCAA.
I'm not sure why he feels he needs an attorney, as since he already forfeited his eligibility there is nothing else the NCAA can do to him... unless there is a criminal aspect to this that we don't know about (I doubt it).
I thank all my teammates (brothers) at UH, and mostly the fans of Rainbow Warrior basketball.
No mention of Taylor or anyone else on the coaching staff... Though I don't think any of the coaches from his freshman season remain on staff other than Taylor.

I could be wrong, but I think Fotu was Gib's only freshman recruit who did not leave after 1-2 seasons for "personal reasons" or "homesickness". I'm bummed to see him go, as he's one of the best big men UH has ever had, and we'll never get a chance to see what he could have done with 3-4 seasons of experience and strength and conditioning training.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Fotu's statement - reading between the lines...

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:here is Isaac Fotu's statement, in entirety:
"After much thought and discussions with my family, I have decided to forgo my last 2 years at UH, and pursue a professional basketball career.

"This was not an easy decision. I came to Hawaii to play for coach Gib and coach Akana, both were instrumental in me growing as both a person and basketball player. I believe this was going to (be the) best season yet.

"I've turned down opportunities to (turn) pro every summer because returning to Hawaii was an easy decision, but now, with the program headed in a different direction, I believe it's time to chase the professional basketball dream, and hopefully help support my family.

"In regards to my ineligibility announced last week, which by the way had no bearing on my decision, I have hired an attorney to help clear my name, if and / or when any accusations are released by the NCAA.

"I thank all my teammates (brothers) at UH, and mostly the fans of Rainbow Warrior basketball. The people of Hawaii have welcomed me since the day I arrived, and all that aloha made my stay enjoyable. I enjoyed every minute I got to represent the University of Hawaii and I will look back at many wonderful memories.

"Aloha 'oe, until we meet again!"

Isaac Fotu

Let's break it down a little bit...
I came to Hawaii to play for coach Gib and coach Akana, both were instrumental in me growing as both a person and basketball player.
I take this as "I am not interested in playing for coach Taylor".
In regards to my ineligibility announced last week, which by the way had no bearing on my decision, I have hired an attorney to help clear my name, if and / or when any accusations are released by the NCAA.
I'm not sure why he feels he needs an attorney, as since he already forfeited his eligibility there is nothing else the NCAA can do to him... unless there is a criminal aspect to this that we don't know about (I doubt it).
I thank all my teammates (brothers) at UH, and mostly the fans of Rainbow Warrior basketball.
No mention of Taylor or anyone else on the coaching staff... Though I don't think any of the coaches from his freshman season remain on staff other than Taylor.

I could be wrong, but I think Fotu was Gib's only freshman recruit who did not leave after 1-2 seasons for "personal reasons" or "homesickness". I'm bummed to see him go, as he's one of the best big men UH has ever had, and we'll never get a chance to see what he could have done with 3-4 seasons of experience and strength and conditioning training.

As a fan, really sad to see him go. Best of luck to him where ever life takes him.
I am the one who knocks.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

IMO, Gib's firing is the out he needed due to being ineligible.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Does anyone have a transcript of the statement from Fotu that was on 1420am last night? I only caught the end of it and I was driving so I missed it. I think there was something about "circumstances" for Fotu leaving. I think it may be important...

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:Does anyone have a transcript of the statement from Fotu that was on 1420am last night? I only caught the end of it and I was driving so I missed it. I think there was something about "circumstances" for Fotu leaving. I think it may be important...
I think the circumstances are he's suspended for an unknown period. Could be a few games, could be much longer. He was close to the guys that recruited him - Gib and Akana. They're both gone. He might not have the same trust and respect for Benjy. Fotu also had other options.
I am the one who knocks.