Did Ben Jay and the Chancellor jump the gun?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Did Ben Jay and the Chancellor jump the gun?

Post by poidog »

seasider wrote:http://www.warriorinsider.com/2014/11/a ... rspective/

A parents’ perspective
Written by Warrior Insider

NOTE: The following letter was submitted to WarriorInsider.com by the parents of one of the current members of the University of Hawai’i basketball team. They have granted permission to print the letter in full.

How do you reach through the phone to hug your child living thousands of miles away when his world has just imploded?

As a parent of a member of the UH Men’s Basketball Team, I too share the same questions, frustrations and emotions that surround the most recent events of our program. However, at the forefront, I must remember this isn’t about me; it’s about those young men who have dreamt about playing Division I basketball since they were young children and for some, like our son, dreamt about doing it in Hawaii.

When we sent our son to Hawaii two years ago, we sent with him with dreams, hopes and an expectation that he would not only represent our family name in the utmost positive light, but more importantly, represent the state and people of Hawaii who were allowing him to represent them.

In light of recent events, I ask the men and women of the great state of Hawaii to take time to truly reflect on the meaning of sports and what it has taught us about life and ourselves. At the very center of sports, we find adversity, difficulty and sometimes, disappointment. But most importantly, we have discovered that sport brings out the very best of the core values that are essential to life’s success; effective communication, perseverance, and determination.

As we enter upon the 2014-2015 season, I ask that you remember that beneath all the wins and losses, “x’s” and “o’s” are real people, with real lives, real men with real dreams. And while it is understood that every person is entitled to his/her opinion, you put that aside and rally your support around these hard working young men who want nothing more than to make YOU, the men and women of Hawaii, proud.

I have heard a variety of comments ranging from people opting to watch games from the comfort of their home, to canceling season tickets or their desire for the University to just rid itself of all sports. This season, the victory may not be measured by wins and losses, but in rather a moral victory, steeped in love and support.

Webster’s Dictionary defines the word, “Warrior” as a man engaged/ experienced in war and as it is in war, masses/troops and tactics are essential to any victory.

On November 14, 2014 and for the remainder of the 2014-2105 season, the parents of the Men’s Basketball team ask that you come out and stand with OUR warriors who go to battle on the floor everyday for the sake of making Hawaii proud.

Respectfully,
Andy and Julia Valdes
(Let’s Go Bows!)
believe it or not, but i'm considering buying basketball season tickets for the first time ever. i'm 100% in on supporting what's left of the team. part of that is because i'm glad that gib is gone, but a bigger part of that is that I want to support the kids who chose to stay and tough it out. life is about more than just winning and losing. count me in!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

that's a great letter. good kids all over on all the teams. they need the support no matter what craziness happens around them.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

cousin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cousin »

Only my opinion and thoughts:

I liked Gib Arnold. His teams all played hard and won 20 games last season. On the negative side, there did seem to be some internal player squabbles a few times, indicative of dissension, but it never showed on the floor (the bench) but twice, and those were individual players, not a team thing.

There was an air of uncertainty about Gib's coaching tenure. His agreed-upon contracts were held up the last two times for no obvious reason and no one seemed to support him in getting the contracts finalized. Was there something wrong with Arnold?

For some reason, Ferd Lewis never liked Arnold. AFAIK he never wrote anything about his dislike, but he praised the UH chancellor for the abrupt firing of Arnold, calling it a correct and necessary move. Again, what were Ferd Lewis's facts, and if he actually had any, why didn't he let UH know much sooner?

I don't believe ANYONE has any information yet about the NCAA investigative findings. Not the chancellor, not Ben Jay, and not Ferd Lewis. The word is out about Fotu and the laptop, but isn't ten games (leading to his leaving the team for definitely greener pastures) overkill? Why punish him for receiving a gift? It was given to him by the coach or the recruiter. Punish them and/or the program, but not Fotu. And the decision was made by the chancellor. He doesn't know squat about basketball or the NCAA or the investigation, and he ruined the team's season with an arbitrary snap of his fingers, blindfolded.

I'm also expecting more lies to come from UH on this. Do you expect the chancellor will ever admit he was wrong, or apologize? As usual, there'll be more of the same old okole-covering and obfuscation, and the interested folks in Hawaii will again wonder what the hell is going on at UH.

Which is where we've been ever since Mac got fired.

Or not.

I don't know the results of the investigation, and perhaps there are some serious violations that require the kind of drastic action already taken. But I think the chancellor has stuck his neck out (supported by UH Pres Lassner), and if he engaged in premature overkill, we'll all hate him and continue to have no faith in UH admin. But Lassner will cover the chancellor's okole, and, either way, he'll be golden.

Lassner = MRC.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

cousin wrote:Only my opinion and thoughts:

I liked Gib Arnold. His teams all played hard and won 20 games last season. On the negative side, there did seem to be some internal player squabbles a few times, indicative of dissension, but it never showed on the floor (the bench) but twice, and those were individual players, not a team thing.
We've never had so many technicals on the bball team until Gib got there. Vander seemed to be one of the problem children but he wasn't the only one. There were definitely some underlying issues of discontent.

I will agree that he never seemed to have 100% support on campus--perhaps another sign something was not right.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

poidog wrote:believe it or not, but i'm considering buying basketball season tickets for the first time ever. i'm 100% in on supporting what's left of the team. part of that is because i'm glad that gib is gone, but a bigger part of that is that I want to support the kids who chose to stay and tough it out. life is about more than just winning and losing. count me in!
As a kid, one of my favorite seasons ever was Riley's 4-20something season his first year in. We always got to sit in the front,
after the game, the coaches and players would thank the small group that was there, etc. It felt intimate and as a kid, the players
were like celebrities to me. Growing up, I always felt like I was a part of the teams' success, because I was there when they needed the support the most.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

I was disturbed by the amount of players we lost due to transfers. Somehow, something didn't seem right with Gib.

As for the quick firing, BJ and the Chancellor knows something we don't. They better. If it comes out that they didn't, their heads would roll. They know something.
I am the one who knocks.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

808Hawaii wrote:I was disturbed by the amount of players we lost due to transfers. Somehow, something didn't seem right with Gib.

As for the quick firing, BJ and the Chancellor knows something we don't. They better. If it comes out that they didn't, their heads would roll. They know something.
:o Hope so....otherwise, this story will be in court one day. :read:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:I was disturbed by the amount of players we lost due to transfers. Somehow, something didn't seem right with Gib.

:o Hope so....otherwise, this story will be in court one day. :read:
Actually, with BJ's track record, I'm not feeling too confident anymore.
I am the one who knocks.