Benjy NEEDS to be named the interim coach NOW.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Benjy NEEDS to be named the interim coach NOW.

Post by xer 21 »

schools are calling up players trying to get them to transfer. a LOT of players.

two athletes have already said they're wavering because they arent sure if Benjy's gonna be the guy, and benjy doesnt even know it.

UH, you need to get off your okole and just commit, NOW.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Benjy NEEDS to be named the interim coach NOW.

Post by 808Hawaii »

The players met with Ben Jay and sounds like the players want Benjy. They players may have set an ultimatum - something like name Benjy coach or they walk. Regardless, 2014-15 will not be a good season. We're not going to reach fifth place in the Big West.

I'm expecting half the team transfer after this season. Some may choose to sit out this season and transfer so they can play in 2015-16. We're in for even darker days ahead.
I am the one who knocks.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

Disagree.

Players should NEVER hold the school hostage. That's why we (and other institutions) get into trouble in the first place.

The school needs to do what's in the best long term interests of the program. The students can go along with it or they can lose their scholarships.

Besides, are we really crying about wanting to keep players who are projected to finish 5th in the Big West? As mentioned, this year is already going to suck. A smarter strategy might be to just nuke everything now (all coaches/players) and start over.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

managerr wrote:Disagree.

Players should NEVER hold the school hostage. That's why we (and other institutions) get into trouble in the first place.

The school needs to do what's in the best long term interests of the program. The students can go along with it or they can lose their scholarships.

Besides, are we really crying about wanting to keep players who are projected to finish 5th in the Big West? As mentioned, this year is already going to suck. A smarter strategy might be to just nuke everything now (all coaches/players) and start over.
Regardless of what happens this year, the men's basketball program is in for some really bad seasons. This crap going on now probably going result in loss of scholarships and will afect recruiting. Remember the Antoine Goodlowe/Cliff Sanchez years (sorry AG/CS, you're the only guys I remember from those teams)? I have a feeling we're heading back to records like those times. Ninth place in the BWC.

With what's going on with basketball and Chowball, I'm afraid most of Hawaii's taxpayers will start to protest about seeing their tax dollars being wasted on the UHAD.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

managerr wrote:
Besides, are we really crying about wanting to keep players who are projected to finish 5th in the Big West?
do you know anything about the players?

they are NOT the reason we were picked 5th. this squad has a ton of talent.

targets.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
managerr wrote:Disagree.

Regardless of what happens this year, the men's basketball program is in for some really bad seasons. This crap going on now probably going result in loss of scholarships and will afect recruiting. Remember the Antoine Goodlowe/Cliff Sanchez years (sorry AG/CS, you're the only guys I remember from those teams)? I have a feeling we're heading back to records like those times. Ninth place in the BWC.

With what's going on with basketball and Chowball, I'm afraid most of Hawaii's taxpayers will start to protest about seeing their tax dollars being wasted on the UHAD.
One time back in those old days when I used to play open volleyball at Klum Gym on Sundays, Antoine Goodlowe was shooting hoops on the side but joined us on the volleyball court. All I can say is that he was not a good volleyball player, but at least he seemed to be a nice, albeit, quiet guy.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
managerr wrote:
Besides, are we really crying about wanting to keep players who are projected to finish 5th in the Big West?

Win or lose, at least Gib's teams were fun to watch.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:One time back in those old days when I used to play open volleyball at Klum Gym on Sundays, Antoine Goodlowe was shooting hoops on the side but joined us on the volleyball court. All I can say is that he was not a good volleyball player, but at least he seemed to be a nice, albeit, quiet guy.
I was going post something about his basketball skills too but, at least he was a nice guy.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

From what I've been reading elsewhere, Benjy's not the guy you want.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

madeinhawaii wrote:From what I've been reading elsewhere, Benjy's not the guy you want.
But that's who the players want. Hang th ecarrot in front of them. BJ should let the team know that if they play hard, BJ could be offered the position permanantly.
I am the one who knocks.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

808Hawaii wrote:BJ should let the team know that if they play hard, BJ could be offered the position permanantly.
That is the WORST thing they could do!

The truth is that all they need to do is offer major playing time to any player who chooses to stay. we'll see who really wants to leave and who wants to benefit from others leaving. fill the rest of the roster with walk-ons and athletes from other sports until we weather the storm.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

xer 21 wrote:
managerr wrote:

Seriously? We've heard the talent argument for 4 years now.

They're athletic. But athletic doesn't necessarily mean a great basketball player. There will be a mass exodus after this season in all likelihood--let's see where they end up...there will be maybe 1 or 2 players that can "upgrade" from UH.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:BJ should let the team know that if they play hard, BJ could be offered the position permanantly.
That is the WORST thing they could do!

The truth is that all they need to do is offer major playing time to any player who chooses to stay. we'll see who really wants to leave and who wants to benefit from others leaving. fill the rest of the roster with walk-ons and athletes from other sports until we weather the storm.
I meant Benjy could be offered the position.

At least two, and possibly three of our players are considering leaving. I don't think they will be back. I'm expecting more to leave after this season is over. Also expecting to lose scholarships - negative impact on recruiting. I see early Larry Little like seasons ahead - 10 wins in the first two seasons.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

managerr wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
managerr wrote:

They're athletic. But athletic doesn't necessarily mean a great basketball player. There will be a mass exodus after this season in all likelihood--let's see where they end up...there will be maybe 1 or 2 players that can "upgrade" from UH.
I don't know what our new guys can do but judging from the talent we've recruited from the past, I'd be surprised if any of our guys make it to a major conference. Fotu might have a chance but he'll probably want to turn pro or play for his national team instead of transfer.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

managerr wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
managerr wrote:

if it was a talent problem, we wouldnt have so many people complaining about gib's coaching abilities.

this team is easily as top three in the conference in talent. we just always find a way to underperform 2-3 times a year in conference.

targets.