Gib Arnold Fired

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Gib Arnold Fired

Post by poidog »

reignjah11 wrote:Its bitter sweet for me, I enjoyed the style of play Gib brought to hawaii. I had high hopes for the team this upcoming season but now idk
You liked watching 5 guys freelance with no point guard and getting out-coached and out-played by less-athletic BWC teams?

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

poidog wrote: You liked watching 5 guys freelance with no point guard and getting out-coached and out-played by less-athletic BWC teams?
This. Gib was a talented car salesmen who knew the game at a basic level. This will turn out to be a good thing.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Wow. I wonder if this is the beginnings of getting rid of all athletic programs? I feel nothing but bad vibes coming from upper campus and our politicians. Hope I'm wrong.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Really didn't think this would happen at this point. Later or non-renewal was what I thought was possible.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

HawaiianHogster wrote:Wow. I wonder if this is the beginnings of getting rid of all athletic programs? I feel nothing but bad vibes coming from upper campus and our politicians. Hope I'm wrong.
There does seem to be a dark cloud around the Athletic Department, maybe all of UH. Only the Women's BB program seems to be on an upswing. Even Shoji's team is struggling. The heart and soul are missing or at the very least having a very difficult time shining through.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote:Really didn't think this would happen at this point. Later or non-renewal was what I thought was possible.
Upper campus demanded immediate action, probably as one last attempt of getting in front of this before the NCAA decides everything else for us.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Now watch the NCAA still stick it up UH's butt. Should've waited till we knew what the allegations and findings were.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

uhwarriors wrote:Really didn't think this would happen at this point. Later or non-renewal was what I thought was possible.
the writing was on the walls.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote:Now watch the NCAA still stick it up UH's butt. Should've waited till we knew what the allegations and findings were.
Do you really think that they don't know what the NCAA investigation found? They know exactly what the NCAA found and that's why they are trying to impose self-sanctions to appease the NCAA before the NCAA decides their fate. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, there are some smart people working at the university and they would not have paid someone $340,000 to go away unless they knew exactly what they were doing (the same goes for Mack's buyout, but no one wants to open-minded about that one).

Gib's comments to the newspaper tells me that he was not going to accept any responsibility for anything and he may not have wanted to play ball with any self-imposed penalties. What's funny to me is how he claims that he has no knowledge of anything - this investigation has been going on for MONTHS and the NCAA supposedly has interviewed 25 or so people, some multiple times. How can he seriously not know what's going down? He's playing helpless victim to the casually-observing public and those trolls in the comments section of the StarAdv are just eating it up. It would be kind of funny if it weren't so dumb.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:Now watch the NCAA still stick it up UH's butt. Should've waited till we knew what the allegations and findings were.
Do you really think that they don't know what the NCAA investigation found? They know exactly what the NCAA found and that's why they are trying to impose self-sanctions to appease the NCAA before the NCAA decides their fate. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, there are some smart people working at the university and they would not have paid someone $340,000 to go away unless they knew exactly what they were doing (the same goes for Mack's buyout, but no one wants to open-minded about that one).

Gib's comments to the newspaper tells me that he was not going to accept any responsibility for anything and he may not have wanted to play ball with any self-imposed penalties. What's funny to me is how he claims that he has no knowledge of anything - this investigation has been going on for MONTHS and the NCAA supposedly has interviewed 25 or so people, some multiple times. How can he seriously not know what's going down? He's playing helpless victim to the casually-observing public and those trolls in the comments section of the StarAdv are just eating it up. It would be kind of funny if it weren't so dumb.
I'm a Gib fan but if Gib claims he doesn't have any idea of his transgressions, I would have no problem with splatterring it all in the papers so everyone knows why.
I am the one who knocks.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

poidog wrote:

+1

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Gib spoke out: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =281030002

His professed lack of knowledge of the specific reasons and allegations which led UH to decide to terminate him is plausible. I think we will eventually find out specifics and details, and whether UH acted appropriately or overreacted/jumped the gun. If UH overracted or jumped the gun, the pool of possible replacements may be shallow or lacking in qualifications.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Duster wrote:Gib spoke out: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =281030002

His professed lack of knowledge of the specific reasons and allegations which led UH to decide to terminate him is plausible.
after a 7-month investigation, he has no knowledge of the situation? LOL x a million!!!

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

Duster wrote:Gib spoke out: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... =281030002

His professed lack of knowledge of the specific reasons and allegations which led UH to decide to terminate him is plausible. I think we will eventually find out specifics and details, and whether UH acted appropriately or overreacted/jumped the gun. If UH overracted or jumped the gun, the pool of possible replacements may be shallow or lacking in qualifications.
True--but that doesn't mean there won't be a good gem in there too.

We got Riley Wallace from CENTENARY, where he was .500 as a head coach.

FatJeff
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FatJeff »

It's all about lying to the NCAA. And yeah, they'll still hammer UH and hammer them bad.

Manini things once lied about get HUGE.