What's up with Coach Akana?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Re: What's up with Coach Akana?

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

Coach Akana is a local boy from Molokai. He was a MIL basketball POY and 1st team All State. Played for BYU Hawaii and was a assistant coach there.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I heard Bobby Curran was in full-apologist mode this morning on the radio about this. did anyone hear it?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

poidog wrote:I heard Bobby Curran was in full-apologist mode this morning on the radio about this. did anyone hear it?
well, the only apologies he was tryi9ng to make was to defend why he viewed it as a non issue.

and if the rest of his story is true (which is the same story i heard from someone else)...well, then yeah, i can see why he'd think it was a non issue. it basically amounted to Jankovic putting his parent's income down wrong on the form and Akana being too lazy to get Jankovic to change it himself, so he filled out the space for him. i dont know the total truth of it, but someone else told mne the same story, so i dunno. and i know he's pretty solid.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

xer 21 wrote:
poidog wrote:I heard Bobby Curran was in full-apologist mode this morning on the radio about this. did anyone hear it?
well, the only apologies he was tryi9ng to make was to defend why he viewed it as a non issue.

and if the rest of his story is true (which is the same story i heard from someone else)...well, then yeah, i can see why he'd think it was a non issue. it basically amounted to Jankovic putting his parent's income down wrong on the form and Akana being too lazy to get Jankovic to change it himself, so he filled out the space for him. i dont know the total truth of it, but someone else told mne the same story, so i dunno. and i know he's pretty solid.
do you really think all of this would have happened because of a typo? the term "forgery" doesn't get used for typos. I know from the outside it often seems that UH has some real donkeys working there, but would they really conflate a typo and forgery? that's kind of hard to believe.

furthermore, if the student turned in a bad application the worst that would have happened would be that the player would be denied admission. the dots in bobby curran's story don't connect.

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

xer 21 wrote:

Yeah, I heard it, too. But what was kinda funny to me was Scott Robbs in Lt Caffey mode vs Col Josep. lol.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

poidog wrote:
xer 21 wrote:

do you really think all of this would have happened because of a typo? the term "forgery" doesn't get used for typos. I know from the outside it often seems that UH has some real donkeys working there, but would they really conflate a typo and forgery? that's kind of hard to believe.

furthermore, if the student turned in a bad application the worst that would have happened would be that the player would be denied admission. the dots in bobby curran's story don't connect.
well, technically, because its a federal form, yeah.

at the end of the day, he doesnt have the authority to be filling anything in. whether or not it was the truth. and i dont know if it was a lie, or the truth. the only story i've heard in that level of detail maintains that this basically amounts to one of two things:

1) Akana was lazy and changed things himself. that's still a fraud and he cant do that and still a big deal

2) Akana was trying to beat a clock in order to preserve Jankovic's US Visa from expiring/midseason eligibility so he fixed things himself instead of having Jankovic do it.

either way, whether or not there was ill intent, and even if the information he added WAS correct, its still a fraudulent application to the feds, so its still going to be attached to words like forgery.

targets.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Post by travo66 »

So...is Jankovic still ok to join the Bows? Or is this issue going to hold him out of the 2014-2015 season?
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

xer 21 wrote: well, technically, because its a federal form, yeah.

at the end of the day, he doesnt have the authority to be filling anything in. whether or not it was the truth. and i dont know if it was a lie, or the truth. the only story i've heard in that level of detail maintains that this basically amounts to one of two things:

1) Akana was lazy and changed things himself. that's still a fraud and he cant do that and still a big deal

2) Akana was trying to beat a clock in order to preserve Jankovic's US Visa from expiring/midseason eligibility so he fixed things himself instead of having Jankovic do it.

either way, whether or not there was ill intent, and even if the information he added WAS correct, its still a fraudulent application to the feds, so its still going to be attached to words like forgery.
:read: Either way, this sounds like a total mess that should have been avoided by all parties. :-? If this blows up, and we'll have second guessing about everything.
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

too me, i think this plays out one of three ways

1 (worst case scenario): Akana is deemed responsible, and fired. Jankovic is ineligible for the full season. Akana raises a stink about Gib telling him to do it, getting nowhere (because it's impossible to prove), but casting a shadow over Gib's next couple of years, if he gets them.

2 (probably what will happen): Akana takes the fall, and is either suspended or asked to resign. Jankovic may or may not be eleigible, but things are mostly forgotten by the end of next season.

3 (Best case): Akana is either cleared, or only reprimanded, and the world moves on.

targets.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I think Stefan Jankovic will be eligible regardless of the outcome of the situation. It has been referred to as a personnel matter, so I don't see it affecting Stefan - nor would it be fair to do so. I don't think they can rescind his admission or "unregister" him. If he has been and continues to attend classes as a full time student and passes his classes this semester, it will fulfill one semester of his two semester residency requirement toward eligibility to play.

I hope that Brandon gets some representation in this "personnel matter" as the outcome will likely have an impact on his career. He is a straight guy, and may need a "bastard" of a lawyer to look out for him and his interests. Assuming that he has or will be lawyering up, I wonder if UH's legal department will handle this in-house or whether it will, once again, punt to an outside law firm.