Dressler Leaving?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Dressler Leaving?

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Was mentioned by a poster on Portnoy's Hoops Talk Blog, that Dressler will probably leave UH? It's hard luck, he redshirted and then got hurt. I guess if he gets a medical redshirt he would get back a year. So if he transferred to another D1 school he would have to sit out a year (transfer) and then have 3 to play? He should probably drop down to D2 and play right away? Maybe he left already?

caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Dressler Leaving?

Post by caleyear01 »

I don't want to spread any rumors but a coach I used to play for used to play Basketball with Miah Ostrowski claims that Miah said that none of the players on the team liked Gib Arnold. I am not sure if that is true but I wouldn't be surprised. Coach Gib has done a good job getting mainland kids to come to Hawaii and play for his program but hasn't done a good job keeping them. Shaquille Stokes was a big recruit out of Harlem, then left right after his Freshmen season to go to Hofstra. There is also Joston Thomas who opted for the NBA Draft early. There are many other players who left the program that I could mention. I wouldn't be surprised to see Caleb transfer out of Hawaii because it looks like there is a pattern of players who leave....

caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by caleyear01 »

Sorry for double posting but I can see some of the players on this team currently that probably have no future here in Hawaii because they're most likely going to transfer. I can see Mike Thomas transferring. I really liked this kid coming out of High School. Mike Thomas has a ton of potential for being the next great player for Hawaii. The problem is that Gib Arnold isn't giving this kid the right minutes. I understand that he is only a Freshmen but you can tell that he doesn't like his role on the team right now. I just have a feeling that when Gib recruited Mike Thomas he promised him a great role on the team and that is why Mike Thomas committed so early. I don't know why I feel that but I just do.

Another player that I think will transfer is Brandon Jawato. Brandon has had a good role on the team last season. He was pretty much another sixth man (I know Fotu was the best of the bench but Jawato played good minutes as well). Jawato went from playing a good role last season to having no role now. He just came back from an injury and hasn't been able to get back into the rotation. Along side Mike Thomas it doesn't seem as if he is enjoying his role on the team either.

Some other guys I see leaving are Michael Harper, Jack Hackman and Niko Filipovich just because they don't play. I am not to sure on Dybre Enos either. I honestly don't see him playing a lot even if he stays for the rest of his college career. I wouldn't be surprised if I see him transfer to Chaminade or UH Hilo.

I do see Aaron Valdes and Stefan Jovanovic staying for now because of there minutes and impressive performances this season.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

caleyear01 wrote:I don't want to spread any rumors
well, congrats, you just did.

and your next post kinda shows that you dont really know much about the program.

and if the transfers are such a huge problem, i guess coaches like Frank Haith at Mizzou must be absolutely hated because they keep having transfers. Transfers happen. almost all of the transfers we lost ended up buried on a bench or total headcases. I loved Wiseman and Joston, thought Shaq had great potential. but they were total headcases, guys Gib had to bamble on because the cupboard was bare. the only transfer out of our program that ever ended up being productive elsewhere was Jordan Coleman. the rest (Wiseman, Barnes, etc) never played, and Shaq ruined his life with that stupid robbery ring. we didnt really LOSE much at all there.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

If Dressler leaves, that sucks. sure its an extra scholly, but i thought he could be useful for us. i hope he finds a scholly somewhere. but at this point, all these injuries, its not hard to imagine no matter how much he likes or hates his situation here. tbh, his playing career may well be over.

and Thomas would be retarded to leave. he's pretty much going to have a locked starting job next season if he fills out his frame. Jankovic wont be eligible till the DHC.

targets.

caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by caleyear01 »

xer 21 wrote:

and your next post kinda shows that you dont really know much about the program.

and if the transfers are such a huge problem, i guess coaches like Frank Haith at Mizzou must be absolutely hated because they keep having transfers. Transfers happen. almost all of the transfers we lost ended up buried on a bench or total headcases. I loved Wiseman and Joston, thought Shaq had great potential. but they were total headcases, guys Gib had to bamble on because the cupboard was bare. the only transfer out of our program that ever ended up being productive elsewhere was Jordan Coleman. the rest (Wiseman, Barnes, etc) never played, and Shaq ruined his life with that stupid robbery ring. we didnt really LOSE much at all there.
Just because all of the people who transferred out of Hawaii didn't have any success doesn't excuse the transfer. And yes I have read many of times about how Mizzou fans don't like Frank Haith. They have forums just like we do and you can read the stuff there players say about Faith. It is just as bad. Your whole entire rebuttal failed.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

caleyear01 wrote:
xer 21 wrote:

Just because all of the people who transferred out of Hawaii didn't have any success doesn't excuse the transfer. And yes I have read many of times about how Mizzou fans don't like Frank Haith. They have forums just like we do and you can read the stuff there players say about Faith. It is just as bad. Your whole entire rebuttal failed.
no it didnt.

just because SOME people dont like haith doesnt mean he's hated. obviously, Negus and Jankovic didnt like him. but you know what, his program is still going, he's still successful, and despite the transfers, he's had a consistent stretch.

talking about other's success upon transfer isnt supposed to excuse the transfer, its giving more insight into them being headcases and primadonnas. they thought they were being shortchanged, turns out they werent hot stuff like they thought they were. why do you think they transferred? it had to do with playing time, not because they thought Gib was a gigantic douche. or if they did, playing time was still a large factor. at the end of the day, the fact remains that the transfers really didnt hurt us anyways, and its results that matter.

at the end of the day, the players we lost were either a bunch of head cases that were detrimental to the team, or mostly non contributors. so what? you cant act like Gib was running people out of town. we KNEW guys like Joston and wiseman and Salter had attitude issues coming in, and we KNEW guys like Barnes and Coleman didnt REALLY fit what Gib wanted to do and were at risk of leaving. its what happens when you have to rebuild an entire team from scratch and none of those transfers were surprises, so i dont think you can act like Gib was a gigantic douche everyone hated. they all had perfectly reasonable basketball and/or personal reasons for leaving and most of it was playing time or ego related. that's not Gib's responsibility or fault.

targets.

caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by caleyear01 »

"just because SOME people dont like haith doesnt mean he's hated." - xer 21

This makes no sense. IF ONE SINGLE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE HIM THAT MEANS HE IS HATED ON!!!!! Not liking is that same thing as hating dude. Definition of hate: feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone). Definition of not liking: disliking. They are the same thing. So if you have a fair amount of people (in this case of Mizzou basketball fans) that "don't like" a coach means he is hated on. Failure.

"obviously, Negus and Jankovic didnt like him." - xer 21

When your players don't like you especially when it is obvious then you have failed as a coach in the category of team chemistry which makes you a bad coach in that way. The case I was making about Gib with his players not liking him and transferring is that same. Get on my level.

"they thought they were being shortchanged, turns out they werent hot stuff like they thought they were. why do you think they transferred? it had to do with playing time, not because they thought Gib was a gigantic douche. or if they did, playing time was still a large factor. at the end of the day, the fact remains that the transfers really didnt hurt us anyways, and its results that matter." - xer 21

Players leave for whatever reasons. You can be a great player who transfers to another University and it won't work out because your style of play doesn't fit theirs. So your whole argument here about "the players we lost weren't good anyways" is a failure. I see your favorite team is the Denver Broncos so I assume you watch Football a lot. Let me give you a College Football example. If there was a four star rushing quarterback coming out of high school who commits to a program that he would fit perfect in (we will go with Army) and doesn't play for his first two years in his collegiate career and then decides to transfer to a passing offensive team (we will go with Hawaii here) but turns out to be worse doesn't mean he wouldn't of had been great at Army. You can apply this to Basketball as well. I just noticed as I am typing this I could have made a basketball analogy with Steve Nash transitioning to the Lakers from the Suns but I am too lazy to delete everything and type new stuff.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

caleyear01 wrote:"just because SOME people dont like haith doesnt mean he's hated." - xer 21

This makes no sense. IF ONE SINGLE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE HIM THAT MEANS HE IS HATED ON!!!!! Not liking is that same thing as hating dude. Definition of hate: feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone). Definition of not liking: disliking. They are the same thing. So if you have a fair amount of people (in this case of Mizzou basketball fans) that "don't like" a coach means he is hated on. Failure.
ok, so everyone is hated on. EVERYONE. gotcha. you realize that makes half of your own points irrelevant too, right? we could NEVER have a coach who wouldnt be hated.

by the way, since you're being totally petty with semantics here, you should also recognize that i said that Haith "must be ABSOLUTELY hated". that intensifying adjective marks a clear difference between ONE person hating on him.

also, dislike is not the same as hate. the definitions you posted illustrate that. Dislike is just general dislike. it COULD encapsulate hate, but doesnt always. that is, all hate is a dislike, not all dislike is a hatred. notice that the definition for "hate" includes the modifiers "intense" and "passionate" to change the basic meaning of dislike? thus, they are differnet.
caleyear01 wrote:
"obviously, Negus and Jankovic didnt like him." - xer 21

When your players don't like you especially when it is obvious then you have failed as a coach in the category of team chemistry which makes you a bad coach in that way. The case I was making about Gib with his players not liking him and transferring is that same. Get on my level.
no, it doesnt mean they are a bad coach. it means they maybe misjudged how well that player fit the system or maybe the player themselves changed. it MIGHT mean they are a bad coach, but misjudging someone's character and/or useful skills in terms of your system through the recruiting progress doesnt means you're a bad coach, it means you made a recruiting mistake. and it also doesnt mean you failed in conjuring team chemistry. they could be getting along just fine with their teammates, and still not fit well into the program and/or butt heads with the coach. the player/coach relationship is not the same relationship as a teammate's relationship to each other. and that's as much a player mistake for committing to that school in the first place. if you want to act like Haith is a bad coach because he makes a few mistakes in his recruiting, then fine, but he's clearly having enough players that fit well into the program to be successful fairly consistently, so i dont think that's a fair assessment.

i'd get on your level, but my back is sore and it would be hard to stoop that low, such as it is.
caleyear01 wrote:
"they thought they were being shortchanged, turns out they werent hot stuff like they thought they were. why do you think they transferred? it had to do with playing time, not because they thought Gib was a gigantic douche. or if they did, playing time was still a large factor. at the end of the day, the fact remains that the transfers really didnt hurt us anyways, and its results that matter." - xer 21

Players leave for whatever reasons. You can be a great player who transfers to another University and it won't work out because your style of play doesn't fit theirs. So your whole argument here about "the players we lost weren't good anyways" is a failure. I see your favorite team is the Denver Broncos so I assume you watch Football a lot. Let me give you a College Football example. If there was a four star rushing quarterback coming out of high school who commits to a program that he would fit perfect in (we will go with Army) and doesn't play for his first two years in his collegiate career and then decides to transfer to a passing offensive team (we will go with Hawaii here) but turns out to be worse doesn't mean he wouldn't of had been great at Army. You can apply this to Basketball as well. I just noticed as I am typing this I could have made a basketball analogy with Steve Nash transitioning to the Lakers from the Suns but I am too lazy to delete everything and type new stuff.
no, i didnt say the players we lost werent good. i said they werent big losses. we lost guys who couldnt hack it elsewhere for whatever reason who had cancerous atittudes, a few non contributor's, and one future felon. and yes, i mentioned that most werent productive, but only to point out that those players last choice in the program (to leave) did not benefit them. i didnt say they werent big losses because i thought they all sucked. i said they werent huge losses because they were either negatively affecting the team (like Joston, Wiseman and such), were barely affecting the team (Salter, Barnes, Coleman) or turned out to be criminals (Stokes). none of it was based on their talent, only on what they brought (or could have brought in the case of stokes) to the team, which was either a negative attitude, not much production in the rotation, or criminal issues.

clearly Thomas and Wiseman and others had things to bring to the table. Wiseman especially could have developed into a great player for us because he brought the kind of hustle and versatility that Gib wanted to run his up tempo system. I dont care that he didnt play anywhere after he left. this wasnt about their talent or me trying to downplay their talent. i dont think Wiseman and others were a big loss because their head trips were hurting the team. period.

targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I heard a lot of the same, and when I look at how Gib's teams tend to "melt down" towards the end of the season I'm inclined to believe the rumors. It will be interesting to see how this team performs as we get closer to the conference tournament.

I hear one assistant is gone after the season...

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

poidog wrote:I heard a lot of the same, and when I look at how Gib's teams tend to "melt down" towards the end of the season I'm inclined to believe the rumors. It will be interesting to see how this team performs as we get closer to the conference tournament.

I hear one assistant is gone after the season...
you know, i used to be on the "Gib's teams meltdown" thing, but im not entirely sure that's a fair assessment.

the first team sure didnt, and i dont think the second team was actually any good.

IMO, the only team that truly went into a late season meltdown was last year's team. yeah, we went on a losing spell in his second year, but we never put more than two wins together all conference season that year, so is it a meltdown, or did we just suck that year?

i think we just sucked.

if we melt down this year, i'd call it a tendency, but as of yet, last year was more its own example.

to me the only real tendency Gib's team's have exhibited from year one on is that our point guards have been uniformly awful. and yes, im including Miah in that because his free throw shooting was a massive liability and he couldnt defend anyone taller than 5'10.

targets.

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Guys who left: Treavor Wiseman played 6 games for CS Los Angeles in Nov-Dec 2012, and then didn't play (out of school)? Jordan Coleman went to junior college and now playing (Sr) for Valpariso. Looks like he's getting significant PT. Josten Thomas was in a NBA d-League training camp in Nov 2012, but didn't make the team. Played in Luxembourg in 2013.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Bo Barnes left Hawaii averaging 6.6 pt/game
He went to Arizona St and averaged .5 pt/game last year
This year he is averaging 3.4 pt/game

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Manroop Clair is redshirting at Seattle University
He played on Canada's Junior National Team last summer
http://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=30137