Hawaii beats Montana

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Hawaii beats Montana

Post by xer 21 »

Decent start to the season so far, the upgrade in guard play at all positions is SO apparent right now.

if we can beat Northern Arizona and Chaminade (and that crazy guard who put up 42 points on Baylor), we can head into the DHC at 7-2. that sets us up nicely to win 10 games in our non conference, if we can get past Norfolk State and Nebraska Omaha after the DHC, asuming we win at least one game in the DHC.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

yougotmayo
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Hawaii beats Montana

Post by yougotmayo »

I really like this team. The guard play obviously is a ginormous upgrade: not huge, not big... ginormous. The fact that we can argue over which guards should start (IMO Shamburglar and Spear) has been a refreshing change from guards of years past (let's face it we're pretty much talking about Roderick Flemings and Kareem Nitoto). Frotu and Stanhard are animals around the cup and have the leadership capabilities to dictate the tempo for the team. Davis is an athletic center that knows how to use his body well. Gib, say what you want about him, has brought a new bite and drive to this team. In the Nash years, I would literally fall asleep during the first half along with the team. These new bball bows have a electrifying attitude about them. They get pumped, they get fiery, and yeah they can get scrappy, but the court is a kill or be killed place. These guys could be serious contenders for the BWC

flipen
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Seahawks

Post by flipen »

I'm enjoying watching this team so far too. Definitely a different brand from last year. The way the Bows are playing, they should be around the top group of teams in the conference during conference play. Just gotta take the same show to the road

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

yougotmayo wrote:I really like this team. The guard play obviously is a ginormous upgrade: not huge, not big... ginormous. The fact that we can argue over which guards should start (IMO Shamburglar and Spear) has been a refreshing change from guards of years past (let's face it we're pretty much talking about Roderick Flemings and Kareem Nitoto). Frotu and Stanhard are animals around the cup and have the leadership capabilities to dictate the tempo for the team. Davis is an athletic center that knows how to use his body well. Gib, say what you want about him, has brought a new bite and drive to this team. In the Nash years, I would literally fall asleep during the first half along with the team. These new bball bows have a electrifying attitude about them. They get pumped, they get fiery, and yeah they can get scrappy, but the court is a kill or be killed place. These guys could be serious contenders for the BWC
Rod Flemings was a forward. And he would definitely start on this team.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

saynotomercs wrote:
yougotmayo wrote:I really like this team. The guard play obviously is a ginormous upgrade: not huge, not big... ginormous. The fact that we can argue over which guards should start (IMO Shamburglar and Spear) has been a refreshing change from guards of years past (let's face it we're pretty much talking about Roderick Flemings and Kareem Nitoto). Frotu and Stanhard are animals around the cup and have the leadership capabilities to dictate the tempo for the team. Davis is an athletic center that knows how to use his body well. Gib, say what you want about him, has brought a new bite and drive to this team. In the Nash years, I would literally fall asleep during the first half along with the team. These new bball bows have a electrifying attitude about them. They get pumped, they get fiery, and yeah they can get scrappy, but the court is a kill or be killed place. These guys could be serious contenders for the BWC
im not so sure he would start, honestly.

he was athletic as hell, but you have to remember, he was TERRIBLE at shooting and played too much one on one, and had terrible shot selection.

he had tons of physical gifts, but never put them together mentally. In fact, im convinced the only reason he put up numbers is because the lack of offensive talent on our teams those years (looking at YOU, Lasha) kinda of forced him to carry the team.

in hindsight, im not sure if he's much different from a slightly more skilled Aaron Valdes right now.

Would Flemings play? yes. would he play a lot? im sure he'd be out there for a solid 15-20 mins a game.

but would he start over Spearman at the wing? or Stan or Fotu down low?

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how much Gib values Spearman's defense (which is a lot, to be sure) over Fleming's athletic ability and potential.

of course, the wildcard is, could Gib's staff have made a better player out of Fleming than Nash's Abysmal crew?

probably, so who knows?

targets.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

xer 21 wrote:
saynotomercs wrote:
im not so sure he would start, honestly.

he was athletic as hell, but you have to remember, he was TERRIBLE at shooting and played too much one on one, and had terrible shot selection.

he had tons of physical gifts, but never put them together mentally. In fact, im convinced the only reason he put up numbers is because the lack of offensive talent on our teams those years (looking at YOU, Lasha) kinda of forced him to carry the team.

in hindsight, im not sure if he's much different from a slightly more skilled Aaron Valdes right now.

Would Flemings play? yes. would he play a lot? im sure he'd be out there for a solid 15-20 mins a game.

but would he start over Spearman at the wing? or Stan or Fotu down low?

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on how much Gib values Spearman's defense (which is a lot, to be sure) over Fleming's athletic ability and potential.

of course, the wildcard is, could Gib's staff have made a better player out of Fleming than Nash's Abysmal crew?

probably, so who knows?
I think Flemings would be far more motivated with the amount of talent around him. Shamburger is a good floor general and Standhardinger and Fotu could easily stand as equals or superiors as players.

The most compelling argument against Flemings starting is that he would cut directly into Spearman's minutes. I think a motivated Flemings would amount to a decent defender, but Spearman may have a substantial edge in basketball IQ.

Aaron Valdes isn't close to Rod Flemings.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

saynotomercs wrote:

I think Flemings would be far more motivated with the amount of talent around him. Shamburger is a good floor general and Standhardinger and Fotu could easily stand as equals or superiors as players.

The most compelling argument against Flemings starting is that he would cut directly into Spearman's minutes. I think a motivated Flemings would amount to a decent defender, but Spearman may have a substantial edge in basketball IQ.

Aaron Valdes isn't close to Rod Flemings.
perhaps, but we have no real idea how motivated he would be. i already suggested that Gib's staff could have molded him into a better player, but we just dont know.

its just too bad Flemings got stuck on some of the worst teams in UH history talent AND coaching wise. we never saw him reach his true potential.

targets.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

if we can beat Northern Arizona and Chaminade (and that crazy guard who put up 42 points on Baylor), we can head into the DHC at 7-2. that sets us up nicely to win 10 games in our non conference, if we can get past Norfolk State and Nebraska Omaha after the DHC, asuming we win at least one game in the DHC.]
I think 10 wins in the pre-conference schedule is very possible. I just hope Fotu is ready to go.

On another matter, Flemings was a good forward, but I'd rather have Julian Sensley or Bill Amiss.