First Impression

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

First Impression

Post by NelsonO »

Going into the basketball season, I thought returnees Fotu, Standhardinger, and Spearman would form a good nucleus for the team. Spearman is currently injured, but hopefully will be back soon.

Newcomers Shamburger, Nevels and Smith looked pretty good in the first three games. I believe we will be better at point guard with Shamburger. Nevels and Smith can shoot the ball. Once Spearman returns, the backcourt appears to be in good shape.

If Rozitis, Valdes and Thomas can contribute in the rotation (too much Kool-aid?), I think the team will be competitive in conference play. Valdes is currently starting in place of Spearman. If somebody like Jawato can catch fire (way too much Kool-aid) that would be an added bonus.

The line-up is smaller this year, rebounding could be a problem, but the team is quicker and hopefully deeper this year. Barring injury, I think the team will be better than last year. (Of course, I thought the same thing about the football team)

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: First Impression

Post by HawaiianHogster »

You have it right when you thought the football team would be better. The losses don't reflect how good they are. That reflects their ability to lose games they know they can win. In other words they shoot themselves in the foot every game. The same goes for the basketball team. Will they shoot themselves in the foot or show how much better they are by winning more games?

After three games I see the team plays better together than the they did last year. It is early but it appears they may be able to win more games than last year. In that loss they did not give up. They fought hard to come back. When the opponent shoots above 50 percent and comes away with 50 percent of the rebounds I don't know a team that could win that game. I can say that last years team would have fallen apart and lost by more than 20 points. This team has great character too.

I for one believe this years team is fun to watch. I really like Rozitis and hope he can see more playing time. I think the new players gives us more depth than we know. I hope the win column shows the improvements the team has made and how good they really are unlike the win-less football team.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

this team looks a lot better than last year, but jawato will stay on the bench all year after Spearman is back.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

Davis Rozitis at 7’-0” is the lone true center or #5 big man on the team who has played meaningful minutes so far this season. I believe 6’-10” freshman Jovanovic has played only briefly in one game this season. 6’-10” Dressler is recovering from injury and has not played yet this season.

So Rozitis plays an important role as he gives an inside presence. He has contributed off the bench. Without Rozitis, the front-court may have some problems.

The team won 17 games last season. After four games, the team is 2-2. I don’t want to look too far down the road (as injuries could play a factor), but if this year’s team is better than last year’s team, a 20 win season is plausible.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

NelsonO wrote:Davis Rozitis at 7’-0” is the lone true center or #5 big man on the team who has played meaningful minutes so far this season. I believe 6’-10” freshman Jovanovic has played only briefly in one game this season. 6’-10” Dressler is recovering from injury and has not played yet this season.

So Rozitis plays an important role as he gives an inside presence. He has contributed off the bench. Without Rozitis, the front-court may have some problems.

The team won 17 games last season. After four games, the team is 2-2. I don’t want to look too far down the road (as injuries could play a factor), but if this year’s team is better than last year’s team, a 20 win season is plausible.
Dressler is out for the season. he's applying for hardship.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

:- We will go as far as Shamburger takes us.....and I can see this guy playing in the next level. \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden