How would you spread the Minutes?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
ROB T
Pine rider
Pine rider

How would you spread the Minutes?

Post by ROB T »

Standhardinger 28
Shamburger 25
Fotu 25
Nevels 25
Spearman 22
Smith 22
Valdez 15
Rozitis 20
Thomas 8
Dressler 10
Jovanovic RS
Harper 7
Jawato RS
Hackman 5
Enos 1
Filipovich 1
Websterr-Chan RS

total 214
As you can see I need to thin out the minutes by 14 but don't know where to put them (take them away). Different teams will call for different guard to big man ratios. Injuries may play a factor. The hard thing in this is that I have Jawato red-shirting again due to his ankle but if he plays some i will need to thin the numbers out some more in the 2 to 3 spot. Would love to see some other peoples thoughts on this. I was thinking of doing projected starters but the amount of time in the game will be more interesting.

Warrior08
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: How would you spread the Minutes?

Post by Warrior08 »

I would add more to the top half and take away from the bottom half of your list.
Mililani State Champs 2014

sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Post by sl1322 »

I believe Jawato has already used a RS year. I also think Thomas will get more minutes than what you've allocated.

ROB T
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ROB T »

You can get a second red-shirt year for medical reasons, and if his ankle is bad enough to need surgery that could qualify.

sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Post by sl1322 »

Didn't realize Jawato's ankle was that bad...not sure if Dressler gets that many minutes.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

:o Wow....I've never saw us or even fans questioned who deserves the minutes? :- Now, questioning Gibb who should be starting and coming off the bench is fair game, but most of us never get to see them practice, so how do you know who works hard in practice? \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

ROB T
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ROB T »

Your attitude is the main reason why the football team has lost soo many fans! The thought of I'm the coach and if you don't like it don't watch! I can't believe that you have never questioned playing time for your favorite players! I remember when Nash did not play one of the seniors on senior night, not even 1 minute. I have always looked at playing time, I'll bet you that the players are as well. If Gib isn't wary of this stat he will loose some of the horses he has!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

ROB T wrote:Your attitude is the main reason why the football team has lost soo many fans! The thought of I'm the coach and if you don't like it don't watch! I can't believe that you have never questioned playing time for your favorite players! I remember when Nash did not play one of the seniors on senior night, not even 1 minute. I have always looked at playing time, I'll bet you that the players are as well. If Gib isn't wary of this stat he will loose some of the horses he has!
:o My attitude has that much influence on the legion of UH fans.....a guy who's avatar is a heavy metal character who's known for one-liners and comebacks on this forum, and I'm the one questioning" how would you SPREAD minutes" for a basketball team that I don't watch how hard they work in practice? :lol: :lol: ROB T, you're smarter than that.....as am I! So, this leads to the LOST of SOO MANY FANS?! :lol: :lol: Ah, the shear madness of what ifs?! :roll:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

ROB T
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ROB T »

Edge it's not you. it's the attitude that fans should take what the coach gives you without question. I like Gib and want to see him here for as long as R Wallace was here. Minutes will be very important this year, and I hate when coaches keep players in so long that they don't give 100%.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

im not going into direct math, but i think the starting lineup is going to be:

Sham
Spearman
Valdez
Fotu
Stanhardinger

valdez and nevels will be rotating a lot if feel, so i expect sham and spearman to be 30-35 mintue guys, and valdez to be more of a 20 minute guy with nevels taking most of it and thomas making time in when spearman and nevels/valdez have a rest.

for the bigs, Davis is going to be our main guy in, with standhardinger playing 30-35 and fotu playing 30. i dont see much room for the other bigs as of yet. we might see dressler or stefan in in spot time to rest standhardinger or fotu, but i think those three will see the vast majority of the playing time and we're far more likely to go small than big with the way the BWC plays.

i think you have way too much rotation going on and are trying too hard to get meaningful mintues to all the guys you want to see play, but realistically, we'll mainly have 7-8 main guys with the rest picking up 5 minutes here and there.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

ROB T
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ROB T »

xer 21 wrote:im not going into direct math, but i think the starting lineup is going to be:

Sham
Spearman
Valdez
Fotu
Stanhardinger

valdez and nevels will be rotating a lot if feel, so i expect sham and spearman to be 30-35 mintue guys, and valdez to be more of a 20 minute guy with nevels taking most of it and thomas making time in when spearman and nevels/valdez have a rest.

for the bigs, Davis is going to be our main guy in, with standhardinger playing 30-35 and fotu playing 30. i dont see much room for the other bigs as of yet. we might see dressler or stefan in in spot time to rest standhardinger or fotu, but i think those three will see the vast majority of the playing time and we're far more likely to go small than big with the way the BWC plays.

i think you have way too much rotation going on and are trying too hard to get meaningful mintues to all the guys you want to see play, but realistically, we'll mainly have 7-8 main guys with the rest picking up 5 minutes here and there.
While I can see this happening I hope and pray that it does not!!! We finally have depth on the bench and then we let them sit??? I want to see a tough hard nose defense where are players are tired after 5 minutes and need a blow where we put in a fresh defender ready to give 100% for 4 or 5 minutes. If you have the bench use it to your advantage!

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

ROB T wrote:Edge it's not you. it's the attitude that fans should take what the coach gives you without question. I like Gib and want to see him here for as long as R Wallace was here. Minutes will be very important this year, and I hate when coaches keep players in so long that they don't give 100%.
Fair enough ROB T, I get the point of fan's giving carte de blanc to a coach's direction, and yes minutes are important as to your point in team play's strategy if you have a balance of talent on the court and bench.
ROB T wrote:
xer 21 wrote:im not going into direct math, but i think the starting lineup is going to be:

Sham
Spearman
Valdez
Fotu
Stanhardinger

While I can see this happening I hope and pray that it does not!!! We finally have depth on the bench and then we let them sit??? I want to see a tough hard nose defense where are players are tired after 5 minutes and need a blow where we put in a fresh defender ready to give 100% for 4 or 5 minutes. If you have the bench use it to your advantage!
My question is the bench strong enough for them to start here or anywhere else? :-? We have not had a great deal of bench strength in the last 10 years that I've been watching......but, your point is valid....if they play strong and meaningful minutes in the early part of the season. I'm curious to see this... \:D/