Peterson Steps Down From Women's Basketball Staff

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
BigWave96744

Peterson Steps Down From Women's Basketball Staff

Post by BigWave96744 »

HawaiiAthletics.com wrote:HONOLULU—University of Hawai‘i women’s basketball assistant coach Gavin Petersen has stepped down to take an assistant position at the University of Pacific for the 2013-14 season. Peterson has served a total of four seasons at Hawai‘i under Vince Goo, Dana Takahara-Dias and current head coach Laura Beeman.

Petersen was retained as a member of Beeman’s inaugural staff last season, in which the ‘Bows turned the program around and finished in a tie for second in the Big West with a 13-5 conference record. UH advanced to the Women’s National Invitational Tournament for the first time in 10 seasons with an overall record of 17-14.

A University High graduate from Honolulu, O‘ahu, Petersen was in his second go-around as an assistant at UH. While earning his master’s degree in kinesiology at UH, he served under Goo as the Rainbow Wahine’s team manager for three seasons before becoming an assistant for the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons. Petersen then left the islands to join former Hawai‘i assistant coach Jon Newlee as an assistant at Idaho State for four years. Petersen then followed Newlee to be the associate head coach at Idaho for three seasons before returning to Hawai‘i in 2011-‘12 to be a staff member in Takahara-Dias’ final season.

“First off, I’d like to thank Laura Beeman for allowing me to be a part of the process in restoring the Rainbow Wahine Basketball program.” says Petersen. “I have a tremendous amount of respect for what she and the rest of the coaching staff are doing with the program. As long as she’s here, I know Hawai‘i basketball is heading in the right direction. This was an opportunity I felt I couldn’t pass up. It will allow me to further my development as a coach and prepare myself to hopefully become a head coach one day. I wish nothing but the best for the Rainbow Wahine basketball ‘ohana. I will definitely miss them all. I’d also like to thank all my family and friends for their continued support.”

“I appreciate all the time and hard work Gavin has given to the Rainbow Wahine basketball program,” says Beeman. “I wish him and his wife Karen all the best as they begin a new chapter in their lives. Their family has been a huge supporter of the program and has embraced me from day one. I know Gavin will continue to be a successful coach as he takes this opportunity.”

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Peterson Steps Down From Women's Basketball Staff

Post by RedZone »

Yep he is going to Pacific. The strange thing is their coach is a lot like Beeman. Too bad Pacific is leaving the conference I had thought the 2 coaches would turn their teams into rivals fighting for the conference title every year.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: