Garett Jefferson leaving

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Garett Jefferson leaving

Post by noasark2x2 »

Per Brian McGinnis Garrett Jefferson is leaving the program 3 rd person this year. 7th in the last 2. Are we concerned yet???
Let's Go Bows

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Garett Jefferson leaving

Post by J-Rod »

noasark2x2 wrote:Per Brian McGinnis Garrett Jefferson is leaving the program 3 rd person this year. 7th in the last 2. Are we concerned yet???
Not yet. Excuses incoming.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

JRod the incoming guys are way better than the guys who left.

Gib finally has his players for his system

:^o
Let's Go Bows

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

noasark2x2 wrote:JRod the incoming guys are way better than the guys who left.

On the money noasark2x2.

Left Program:
B0 Barnes left after his freshman year to play college ball with younger brother
Bobby Miles left after his sophomore year for more PT
Shaquille Stoke left after his freshman year to be closer to ailing grandmother
Joston Thomas left after his junior year to pursue pro ball
Trevor Wiseman left after his sophomore year for more PT
Orel Lev left after redshirting his freshman year to complete mandatory military service
Garrett Jefferson transferring to lower division so he can have more PT
Ozren Pavlovic leaving after completing his freshman year for pro-ball in Europe
Manroop Clair transferring to Seattle, and be closer to his family.

2013-2014 Warrior Basketball Roster if none of the above with college eligibility had remained with UH: (13 scholarship; 2 walk-on)
Bobby Miles, PG 6-1, Sr
Trevor Wiseman, F 6-7, Sr
Bo Barnes, SG 6-4, Sr
Shaquille Stoke, PG 5-10
Orel Lev, PG 6-4, RsSo
Garrett Jefferson, PG 6-3, Sr
Ozren Pavlovic, combo guard 6-8, So
Manroop Clair, SG 6-2
Davis Rozitis, C 7-0 Grad Student
Caleb Dressler, C 6-10, RsFr (3-Star Scout)
Brandon Spearman, G 6-3, Sr (Top 100 out of HS)
Christian Standhardinger, F 6-8, Sr
Isacc Fotu, F 6-8 240, So
Dyrbe Enos, PG, 5-9/160, RsFr (walk-on)
Michael Harper, SG, 6-4/200, So (walk-on)

The following wouldn’t be on the 2013-2014 roster:
Keith Shamburger, PG 6-0, RsJr; Brandon Jawato, SG 6-4, RsSo; Aaron Valdes, Wing 190, RsFr

And the 2013 Recruiting Class would be just a dream:
Stefan Jovanovic, C 6-10/240, Fr
Michael Thomas, Wing 6-6/200, Fr (3-Star Scout)
Negus Webster-Chan, Combo guard 6-7/200, So (3-Star Rivals/Scout, top 100)
Garrett Nevels, SG 6-2/180, Jr (#71 recruit JUCO.com top 100)
Quincy Smith, PG 6-0/174, So

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

seasider wrote:

On the money noasark2x2.

Left Program:
B0 Barnes left after his freshman year to play college ball with younger brother
Orel Lev left after redshirting his freshman year to complete mandatory military service
Ozren Pavlovic leaving after completing his freshman year for pro-ball in Europe

2013-2014 Warrior Basketball Roster if none of the above with college eligibility had remained with UH: (13 scholarship; 2 walk-on)
Bobby Miles, PG 6-1, Sr
Bo Barnes, SG 6-4, Sr
Shaquille Stoke, PG 5-10
Orel Lev, PG 6-4, RsSo
Manroop Clair, SG 6-2

Keith Shamburger, PG 6-0, RsJr; Brandon Jawato, SG 6-4, RsSo; Aaron Valdes, Wing 190, RsFr

And last year with Vander Joaquim, Hauns Brereton, and Joston Thomas (had he remained for his senior year), definitely Caleb Dressler, Brandon Spearman and Isaac Fotu wouldn’t have been Warriors-Walk-on like Jace Tavita, NO WAY.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

So are we saying that this is the year we get 20 wins and go to the NIT???

Who evaluated the talent that left??? Wouldn't it be the same staff that evaluated this group???
Are we so sure that this group is that much better than what has been brought in before???
Last year at this time all I heard was how good Manroop Clair was and the Summer before how good Shaq Stokes was going to be
I really hope Gib has finally got this together but let's wait and see.
20 wins NIT bid or Gib needs to go.
Let's Go Bows

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

noasark2x2 wrote:So are we saying that this is the year we get 20 wins and go to the NIT???

Who evaluated the talent that left??? Wouldn't it be the same staff that evaluated this group???
Are we so sure that this group is that much better than what has been brought in before???
Last year at this time all I heard was how good Manroop Clair was and the Summer before how good Shaq Stokes was going to be
I really hope Gib has finally got this together but let's wait and see.
20 wins NIT bid or Gib needs to go.
I'm saying look at what the 2013-2014 roster would've been like if those guys who left the program had stuck it out.

Did their leaving the program open up scholarships for "mo betta talent?"

Do you really think those guys that left the program was coach Gib and staff"s 1st and 2nd choices? LOL...stuck in the middle of the Pacific, 2,500 miles from the west coast, and no local (no pun intended) D1 basketball recruits to play for the home team, and Gib's primary recruiting targets refuse to even come on a recruiting visit...LOL..they rather stay on the mainland and play for a BCS program that is much closer than 2,500 miles away.

Recruiting for Hawaii, is and will always be a hard sell.

yahoo2323
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yahoo2323 »

inside source. Jefferson was told to leave and that there was no scholarship for him next year. That is why we could get the last recruit in.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

yahoo2323 wrote:inside source. Jefferson was told to leave and that there was no scholarship for him next year. That is why we could get the last recruit in.
The following was “cut and paste” from an article written by Brian McInnis on Apri 21, 2013:

Jefferson out and Smith in
By Brian McInnis

Would-be senior Garrett Jefferson requested a release from the Hawaii basketball program, it was confirmed on Saturday, raising the program's early departure count to three this offseason.

On the same day, sources confirmed UH received a commitment from City College of San Francisco freshman point guard Quincy Smith to play in Manoa starting in the 2013-14 season. The 6-foot, 175-pound Smith has three years of eligibility. Among his other choices were North Texas and Long Island.

Smith averaged 9.1 points, 3.6 assists and 1.7 turnovers on 46 percent shooting from the field, 74.2 percent from the free-throw line and 28.6 percent on 3-pointers for a team that went 31-1. He made 2.3 steals per game and was considered a defensive stopper.

Jefferson also came in with that tag as a junior college player, in 2011. He appeared in all 32 games of the 2012-13 season, making two starts. He was known as one of the team's best perimeter defenders, but gamely accepted a new role as backup point guard in the 2012 preseason even though he had no prior experience at the position. He finished with 31 assists, 31 turnovers, 20 steals and 1.4 points per game in 9.5 minutes as a junior.

He hit the game-winning floater at the buzzer at home against Cal State Fullerton on Jan. 3, one of the bright spots of a 17-15 season. The 6-foot-3 Jefferson, of Los Angeles, was considered a good teammate over the past two seasons.

At the team banquet on April 3, Jefferson talked of returning for his final season. However, in a phone interview on Saturday, he said: "My time at UH was good, I'm just looking forward to getting back home and seeing my family. Being close with them. ... I don't know. It was just hard. I would see my family, but only for a little bit. That was the deciding factor, going home and seeing my family more."

He said he wasn't sure where he would play next, but wanted to be close to Los Angeles. He'll have to go to a Division II school if he wants to avoid sitting out a season.

UH coach Gib Arnold released this statement shortly after being asked about Jefferson: "Garrett approached us and explained his desire to find a team where he will be able to play more minutes his final year. Garrett has been one of my most favorite players here at UH. Although he did not play a lot of minutes, he always had a great attitude. He has been an excellent student and teammate and we all hope he has success at his next stop."

In 2010-11 and 2011-12, UH averaged 4.5 scholarship players lost before completion of their eligibility.

Jefferson was on track to graduate, which might mitigate the effect of another early player loss on the team's APR, the NCAA's academic ratings figure that will be released later this offseason.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Would like to see what the APR is.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter

Post by noasark2x2 »

This is my frustration with the whole Gib thing. Each of the past years I have heard people say that the talent has been upgraded on this roster and each year the same results. So no I don't think that this roster is better than what would be Wisemans Senior year or Shaq Stokes junior year. What I hear is hype that this player is better than that player. Last year everybody was talking up Manroop and saying how he lit up the Duke recruit in an AAU game.
The year before it was all about Shaq Stokes the next great NY City point guard.
I take this recruiting class with a grain of salt because of all this hype.
Then people say its so hard to recruit here. Well we hired Gib because he is supposed to be a good recruiter. He had experience at a JC power house and his former stint at USC was supposed to give him an edge in California. He came in and said he wasn't going to bring in players to fill positions but that exactly what happened. And now everyone is saying Gib is recruiting for the Big West. Dd Gib not know we were going to play in the Big West lat year??? Did he not know how the Big West plays???

I hope Gib has finally figured out the recruiting thing because he is not going out strategize anyone.
20 wins NIT or he should be gone
Let's Go Bows

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

yahoo2323 wrote:inside source. Jefferson was told to leave and that there was no scholarship for him next year. That is why we could get the last recruit in.
i heard they tried to take away his scholarship after last season as well, but the numbers worked in his favor i guess.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

seasider wrote:

On the money noasark2x2.

Left Program:

Bobby Miles, PG 6-1, Sr
Bo Barnes, SG 6-4, Sr
Shaquille Stoke, PG 5-10
Orel Lev, PG 6-4, RsSo
Manroop Clair, SG 6-2

Thanks for typing this up. I also was doing an excel sheet to see how many players left Riley's and Nash's teams in their last few years. Riley had a lot more JC kids because he knew how hard it was to get a freshman to come here and stay for 4 years. I believe he also went the international route for this reason too. The times are different too. And kids are different too.

I wish we did have Shaq this year. Would've been a huge difference, and he wouldn't be in the situation he is in now too.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Davis Rozitis is returning next year.

Brian McInnis twitter: https://twitter.com/Brian_McInnis/statu ... 7306387456

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Sportsbow wrote:Davis Rozitis is returning next year.

Brian McInnis twitter: https://twitter.com/Brian_McInnis/statu ... 7306387456
Than this should be the 2013-2014 Warrior Basketball Roster:

2013-2014 Warrior Basketball Roster (15):
13 Scholarships ( 3 Sr, 2 Jr, 4 So, 4 Fr): 2 Walk-ons (1 So, 1 Fr)
0 Keith Shamburger, PG 6-0/170, RsJr
3 Brandon Jawato, SG, 6-4/200, RsSo
10 Dyrbe Enos, PG, 5-9/160, RsFr (walk-on)
13 Davis Rozitis, C, 7-0/240, RsSr (Graduate Spring 2013-may forego eligibility)
24 Michael Harper, SG, 6-4/200, So (walk-on)
25 Caleb Dressler, C, 6-10/250, RsFr
31 Aaron Valdes, Wing, 6-5/190, RsFr
32 Brandon Spearman, SG, 6-3/200, Sr
35 Christian Stanhardinger, PF, 6-8/220, Sr
42 Isaac Fotu, PF 6-8/240, So
2013 Recruiting Class:
00 Stefan Jovanovic, C, 6-10/235, Fr, Serbia/Bishop Montgomery HS-2S Scout
00 Michael Thomas, Wing, 6-6/200, Fr, El Camino Real HS, CA – 3S Scout
00 Garrett Nevels, SG 6-2/180, Jr, Mount San Antonio College, CA (#71 JUCO.com Top 100)
00 *Negus Webster-Chan, Combo guard/wing, 6-7/200, So, Missouri-2012 3S Rivals/Scout
00 **Quincy Smith, PG 6-0/175, So, City College of San Francisco (4 to play 3)
*mandatory RS year, than will have 3 to play 3.
**City College of San Francisco point guard Quincy Smith's paperwork isn't finalized, thus no official statement from Arnold and Co., but it's not a cause for alarm yet. Sometimes it takes a while to process.